28 replies to this topic

#16 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 10:44 PM

Weeds are growing the fastest, again.

I just want to share a tip with you that a bud of mine taught me.  I use stakes with strings tied between them to mark the rows.  Leave them in the ground for a short time.  Then, mow my yard with a bagger, dump all clippings between the rows.  As the plants start to come through, aleast 1 - 2 inches, cover the bare ground between the plants with more clippings.  I am on my 3rd year of doing this and rarely must I weed the garden.  It works great for me!  Even with the melons/pumkins/squash, cuks, etc.  It requires more time whilst mowing, messing with a bagger, but well worth it IMHO.  So far I have found that one good covering right after planting last all summer, even with our horrible winds in warm ND (ok, stop laughing now).  Every spring, I just till all the grass and leaves under as mulch then start all over again.

Forgive me if y'all are doing it this way, its new to me in my gardening life.  I just had to share, it is soooo simple and actually works.  I love gardening, it's the zin of life.

• Alc, Amigatec and shorty have said thanks

#17 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 05:39 AM

Your garden should be taking off now , we are just a little north of you and it seems in the last week things are starting to grow , I think the cold nights we had this year held the plants back . I did notice our strawberries look pretty good too, the last few years has been disappointing  . 

• shorty said thank you

#18 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,545 Thanks
  • 3,930 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 07:12 PM

Starting to take off nice now. Strawberries are looking real nice. Not a big patch, but all that we can eat fresh and a few for the neighbors. The corn and peas are up about 2 inches now.

I was going to get a few pics, but a certain some one robbed the batteries out of my camera for his toys. When you are 7 years old and your toys are dead, you have to remember what dad has that uses the same battery. :D  :D

Using grass clippings is great. It is an easy way to keep the weeds down and it helps a lot in keeping the moisturedown. I have been doing this for a few years now. I usually till twice a year, spring and fall. Between the grass and the leaves, it has been mulched well. I think that I might have overdone it last year. I was still finding a bunch this spring that hadn't broke down yet.

#19 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 09:44 PM

Speaking of strawberries, I'm doing something wrong.  The patch I planted is looking real bad.  The plants barely survive from the looks of it, really look sickly.  They started off looking good when I planted them 3 yrs back, but last year they looked bad, no berries, and this year is horrible looking.  I think I'm going to pull them and start over in a different spot.  Do they have special needs for soil/fertilizer?

#20 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,545 Thanks
  • 3,930 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 04:28 AM

I don't think they have any special needs. They might have gotten a blight or something. Just not real experianced with berries yet. We have only had strawberries a few years now. So far it went well.

#21 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 23, 2014 - 07:02 AM

don"t know much about strawberrys ,   They eill not grow in my yard either.     Cannot grow melons either?????   lol

#22 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,545 Thanks
  • 3,930 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 05:04 PM

Not much luck with melons or cantalopes so far. They usually rot  for me. I wander if it is a bit wetter than it should be for them. We are going to try the melons again this year. Got to get them planted before too long.

#23 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 975 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 11:09 PM

We planted onion sets and chard about two weeks ago. Planted sugar snap peas about a week ago and planted beans, cukes and Zuchini today. At our altitude we always wait 'til about this time to plant anything that can be frosted. Put the tomatoes Linda started from heritage seed in the greenhouse about two weeks ago. Have only had to turn on the propane heater for one night. I also planted 25 asparagus roots about a month ago.
Mike
  • shorty said thank you

#24 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,545 Thanks
  • 3,930 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 08:45 PM

:dancingbanana: Found a somewhat ripe strawberry tonight. First one alwways tastes good.

#25 Amigatec ONLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 05:46 PM

I just want to share a tip with you that a bud of mine taught me.  I use stakes with strings tied between them to mark the rows.  Leave them in the ground for a short time.  Then, mow my yard with a bagger, dump all clippings between the rows.  As the plants start to come through, aleast 1 - 2 inches, cover the bare ground between the plants with more clippings.  I am on my 3rd year of doing this and rarely must I weed the garden.  It works great for me!  Even with the melons/pumkins/squash, cuks, etc.  It requires more time whilst mowing, messing with a bagger, but well worth it IMHO.  So far I have found that one good covering right after planting last all summer, even with our horrible winds in warm ND (ok, stop laughing now).  Every spring, I just till all the grass and leaves under as mulch then start all over again.

Forgive me if y'all are doing it this way, its new to me in my gardening life.  I just had to share, it is soooo simple and actually works.  I love gardening, it's the zin of life.

I have done this for several years. I would pile the grass 2 feet high between the rows, at the end of the year the grass is gone.
  • shorty said thank you

#26 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 05:48 PM

I an report that I may have a few potatoes this year. I didn't get them all dug last year, and they have come back up. I just hope the weeds don't choke them out.
  • shorty said thank you

#27 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,545 Thanks
  • 3,930 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 08:57 PM

It can be interesting what all can come back the next year by themselves. I have self sowing sun flowers for a few years now. A few potatoes and pumpkins too. 

#28 FrozenInTime ONLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 12:59 AM

Finally have all my garden in and *most* are growing.  It has been so wet here of late everything is going nuts.  Even the weeds.... I have not been able to mow to get more mulch into the garden.  Tomorrow I hope it dries out enough I can mow, my yard is looking like a jungle.  Should be a good day, I love mowing and killing weeds.

I uncovered the strawberries, they look'd on their death bed.  I must have left them covered too late into the spring, all one week of it.  They have took off like crazy and are beginning to look like green plants again.  My raspberry plants came back to life, 2 out of 4 bushes have runners like gang busters going on.  I'm going to let them root well and move them to a new location this fall after they go dormant.  I planted some grape and blackberry root-stock, they are dead already.  O-well, need to keep working my soil.  I love gardening.

• shorty said thank you

#29 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,545 Thanks
  • 3,930 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 08:14 PM

We got the last picking of strawberries last night. They sure were sweet this year. My back is glad that the picking is over for this year.

The peas will be the next crop to bring in. They are not in a big hurry this year, might get a few next week sometime.

• trowel said thank you