• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 07:33 AM

My old man wasnt too happy with his new home cheapo john deere.
I found him an early 80s wheelhorse c85. The old ones are built so much better and to last. The box stores want you to buy a new one every few years
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#17 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 08:32 AM

Personally - I love the old ones as I can afford them and enjoy fixing them up.  I do enjoy the looks I get when people figure out the new looking tractor I am using is actually older than me AND that I did the work myself.  :smilewink:

My dad has a very late 318 that has about 2,000 hours on it that he purchased when it was 3 years old.  He spent $5,000 on it which seemed crazy to me at the time.  That $5000 over the last 20 years has been money well spent.

If I had the expendable cash (like my retired father in law) I would pick up one of the newer x5 series or an x7 series like he owns.  

Edited by Trav1s, September 02, 2014 - 06:59 AM.

• Texas Deere and Horse and dodge trucker have said thanks

#18 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 04:04 PM

... The box stores want you to buy a new one every few years

While that sounds good, in reality it's not true.

What has happened is that the market has changed.  People live on smaller properties, do less in the way of gardening, and have no need for heavy duty garden tractors.

The majority of buyers now want something that will mow the grass, and cost @ $2,000.00 or less.  When you start 'building to a price point' compromises have to be made.  That means plastic body parts instead of steel.  Steel parts made in smaller sizes.  smaller tires, etc.

THAT is what gives you the 'throw away mower' that you have to replace when it wears out in just a couple of years.

MTD was the first to capitalize on the changing market, and when other folks like Bolens, Wheel Horse, etc. failed to do so, they swallowed them up.

Don't think for a minute that MTD can't build a true GT.  Back in the 'old days' they did a very good job of that with the 990, 1400, 1600, etc.  They don't build tractors like that any longer because there is a better ROI building the 'throw away' tractors.

Shucks, even John Deere 'saw the light' and started making throw away mowers, and I'll bet that they make more profit in a year on the cheap D series than they do on the X series.

• Canawler and Sawdust have said thanks

#19 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 04:09 PM

I guess another thing to add is most parts are now sealed and not serviceable because most people today who just want to cut the lawn dont want to spend time working on their mower & barely know how to change the oil, let alone do any maintenance like greasing on a mower.... Imagine if the average consumer had to "Check for loose bolts" or "Adjust the rear axle end play every 50 hours" on a Bolens!

Today most simply want a "Turn Key and go"

• Canawler and GTTinkerer have said thanks

#20 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 08:09 PM

While that sounds good, in reality it's not true.

What has happened is that the market has changed.  People live on smaller properties, do less in the way of gardening, and have no need for heavy duty garden tractors.

The majority of buyers now want something that will mow the grass, and cost @ $2,000.00 or less.  When you start 'building to a price point' compromises have to be made.  That means plastic body parts instead of steel.  Steel parts made in smaller sizes.  smaller tires, etc.

THAT is what gives you the 'throw away mower' that you have to replace when it wears out in just a couple of years.

MTD was the first to capitalize on the changing market, and when other folks like Bolens, Wheel Horse, etc. failed to do so, they swallowed them up.

Don't think for a minute that MTD can't build a true GT.  Back in the 'old days' they did a very good job of that with the 990, 1400, 1600, etc.  They don't build tractors like that any longer because there is a better ROI building the 'throw away' tractors.

Shucks, even John Deere 'saw the light' and started making throw away mowers, and I'll bet that they make more profit in a year on the cheap D series than they do on the X series.

but people don't need a 54" rider mower for a postage stamp  yard but that's what they buy... many these days can't even associate with "tractor" which is usually a tougher built machine, to those of us on a forum like this

• Trav1s said thank you

#21 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 08:15 PM

I guess another thing to add is most parts are now sealed and not serviceable because most people today who just want to cut the lawn dont want to spend time working on their mower & barely know how to change the oil, let alone do any maintenance like greasing on a mower.... Imagine if the average consumer had to "Check for loose bolts" or "Adjust the rear axle end play every 50 hours" on a Bolens!

Today most simply want a "Turn Key and go"

but if the average person today had any concept of the meaning of the word "MAINTENANCE"  they would realize that things could last SOOOO much longer,  I would so much rather have a car, truck, tractor that CAN be maintained (repackable bearings among other things)  than a machine full of sealed-for "life" (what ever that means anymore) components,

• Bolens 1000 and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#22 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted November 04, 2014 - 02:19 PM

I like the old ones and the new ones!

I am a collector of Economy and Power Kings(7 in various states of useablity), just bought a 1995 Snapper M2200gt with a fel and the primary user tractor is a 2002 John Deere X585.

As I get older(60+) I enjoy collecting the old ones(finding/rebuilding/restoring/showing) but find that as user tractors creature comforts such as ps/hydrostat/hydraulics are becoming more important.

I an thankful that we have options in whatever we want to do with our time and money.

Chuck

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, GTTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#23 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted November 04, 2014 - 03:55 PM

Hey Chuck, post some photos of your tractors when you can.

#24 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted November 04, 2014 - 04:31 PM

Most of the people buying the throw away mowers dont want to get dirty working on them but dont mind spending $120+ on a spring "tune up". That keeps a lot of guys here supplied with "tractor money" to go get the good old stuff

• GTTinkerer said thank you

#25 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 06:18 PM

Most of the people buying the throw away mowers dont want to get dirty working on them but dont mind spending $120+ on a spring "tune up". That keeps a lot of guys here supplied with "tractor money" to go get the good old stuff

120? where you gettin it done that cheap?

#26 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 06:56 PM

That is the going rate around here, last I checked. 1.5 hrs plus parts.

#27 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 06:59 PM

Simplicity, longevity, durability, parts and memories.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#28 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 07:52 PM

I bought a JD 120 throw away model.  Less then 200 hrs the sealed rear end went out.  $500.00 repair.  on a $2000.00 machine that is now only worth 1000.00 with only 225 hrs on it.  Should have went with a older model and kept fixing it up.  I will never buy a new John Deere again.

#29 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 11:43 AM

I can understand your frustration with buying a new "John Deere" and finding the quality to be poor.
However we are seeing a lot of the major corporations making/selling and importing/selling all levels of products to us, the consumers. We don't have to like it, but learn from it and make better buying decisions in the future.
  • Alc, A.C.T. and michael.kitko have said thanks

#30 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 11:20 AM

I have a New cheapie Deere L130. About 04 I think I bought. Never had to do a thing to it, cept belt, oils, etc. Use winter and summer. NEVER had any of rear-end troubles or anything as many say. Maybe some just use it too hard, working it like a bigger machine?   I've had plenty of other brands and after using those shaking, vibrating rigs, getting on my Hydro Deere is like a Cadillac ride, smooth and easy.  I have Power Kings also. Like the ruggedness of metal ones, but they are little Cruder to operate. My new PK is hydro/PS/smooth and is nicer, UNTIL it breaks. Hard to work on and diagnose with all the electronic systems. Wish government would stay out of the business and not require all that safety stuff and EPA on small engines. SO, I LIKE new, can't afford one most times, but still like them. As anything esle, have to pay the bigger money to get the stronger models that will last as ours have over years. Keep in mind most of the big rigs we have now WERE all the big money rigs in their day too.

• A.C.T. said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: john deere