55 replies to this topic

#46 Deerlope OFFLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 98
  • 402 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 05:32 AM

Thanks B1000 but I am not able to spray I have to use rattle cans. Metallic is hard to do with them because I have to keep shaking them.

#47 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 01:39 PM

The first metalic paints date back to 1920s with high end automobiles, Deuzy, Auburn, they werent actually metal particles at first tho... they used ground fish scales. By the late 50s they had figured out how to use metal flakes in quick drying paint so the flakes wouldnt sink or move after being applied. In some cases the metal flakes were in the clear coat rather than the colour paint. You can also get a clear "Metal Finish" in a rattle can that looks similar to a 40s/50s metalic paint but because it darkens the overall colour you need to start slightly lighter than the colour you want to end up with,
  • Deerlope and Kfs35 have said thanks

#48 Deerlope OFFLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 402 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 05:20 AM

The first metalic paints date back to 1920s with high end automobiles, Deuzy, Auburn, they werent actually metal particles at first tho... they used ground fish scales. By the late 50s they had figured out how to use metal flakes in quick drying paint so the flakes wouldnt sink or move after being applied. In some cases the metal flakes were in the clear coat rather than the colour paint. You can also get a clear "Metal Finish" in a rattle can that looks similar to a 40s/50s metalic paint but because it darkens the overall colour you need to start slightly lighter than the colour you want to end up with,

Very interesting, I did notice that after just a few hours the paint was dry to touch. Yesterday I had the rebuilt original air cleaner to do. It was a good test to see if I could indeed spray it. I did find that several light coats was the way to go. You guys are making this paint job more difficult for me with every post. It may not be exact but it will be pretty and functional.

Edited by Deerlope, May 29, 2014 - 05:22 AM.

#49 Deerlope OFFLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 402 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 12:39 PM

Would anyone know the thickness of the metal in the belt guard. Also is there supposed to be a brace or flat plate that helps to support the air cleaner. I can not believe that just 2 little 8-32 screws hold the whole assemble. At present my air cleaner has a 1/4-20 bolt filling a hole at its top.

Edited by Deerlope, May 29, 2014 - 12:40 PM.

#50 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 01:04 PM

Left side belt guard is 18gauge, belt guard for the electric start is 16ga. My air filter hangs buy the 1/4 bolt in the top but the bracket it hangs from is not oem, its 10ga, my starter switch, regulator and light switch are also mounted to that bracket.

Attached Thumbnails

• engine4R.JPG

#51 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 02:03 PM

My air filter is mounted the same way as Lance's.  I believe that plate is part of the electric start kit.

#52 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 05:18 PM

My air filter is mounted the same way as Lance's.  I believe that plate is part of the electric start kit.

:ditto:

Electric start was optional and the mounting of the filter depended on whether or not you had the electric start.

If no electric start was present the filter bolted directly to the carb intake.

• Kfs35 said thank you

#53 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 05:34 AM

Somebody told me once that the electric start wasnt an option until '58, so since my tractor is a '57 I think that plate on mine might not be an original piece, but it does bolt together the same as the oem option.

Edited by Lance Skene, May 30, 2014 - 05:35 AM.

#54 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 05:48 AM

Somebody told me once that the electric start wasnt an option until '58, so since my tractor is a '57 I think that plate on mine might not be an original piece, but it does bolt together the same as the oem option.

That is true. 58' Was the first year that option was introduced.

I have a feeling some consumers bought these kits and installed them on their 57's as mine had the brackets on it for electric start and I have seen others with them on as well.....

#55 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 07:21 AM

Left side belt guard is 18gauge, belt guard for the electric start is 16ga. My air filter hangs buy the 1/4 bolt in the top but the bracket it hangs from is not oem, its 10ga, my starter switch, regulator and light switch are also mounted to that bracket.

Lance:  What is that gearbox for? (mounted behind the battery box) 

#56 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 01:03 PM

The geabox is a 1:1 forward/nuetral/reverse, I would guess the original reverse clutch wore down to nothing and somebody, most likely my uncle, added it since he was a mechanic back then and owned an auto repair shop. When I got it there was homebuilt rear fenders and a plywood/plexiglass cab on it, the battery was behind the gearbox under the seat, he likely put the sears blower on it aswell, it wasnt pretty but it was functional, and it still works very well although this last winter was very hard on it and the motor now needs rebuilding, and in case I dont have time for that before next winter Ive picked up a newer 8hp that Im gonna put on it for now, theres a few things about it that sometimes upset the purists now and then but hey, not too many '57 tractors are still working as hard as this one does, I have over 250yds of driveway and this is my only tractor mounted snowblower.

Im always on the lookout for another one I could restore to original, but they are extremely hard to find here, and usually come with some ridiculous 'Rare and Collectable' price tag, theres been one advertised near edmonton for several months, no attachments, poor restoration job, missing the belt guard.... $2000... I wont even phone him, I'd probably just say something I shouldn't.;)

• LPBolens, Bruce Dorsi and Kfs35 have said thanks