Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 07:40 AM

I thought I better check in here again. I hear some of you have been wondering how I have been, and what I've been up to.

Well, I have stopped woking on my tractors. I still have them but, I haven't done anything to them in months. The DB SuperPower doesn't run very good, I think the points are bad. And my CC129 has charging problems.

As most of you know my wife has MS. After her last trip the Hospital, she has become bedfast, and can't get out of bed on her own. So I have turned my attention to taking care of her. I have dropped out of the local GT Club and have stopped attending Tractor shows. And with the rising cost of gasoline and food, it was the best decsion I could make. 

As for me, I haven't felt good in at least a couple of years. I don't know wants wrong other than getting older. Most of the time my stomach hurts, I think I have an ulcer, but the Dr doesn't think so. Also on March 8th I dislocated my right shoulder, and am still trying to regain full use of it. I was off work for 6 weeks, but am back working now.

I also have started on a badly needed kitchen and back porch remodel. I had the back porch torn off and a new one built. It is almost finished I have to go back to Lowes to pickup some more items today. The kitchen is waiting on the cabinets to be built. I found a local Amish cabinet shop to build them. Kitchens are EXPENSIVE to remodel, but it was badly needed. 

My only real hobby now is Smoking Meat. I just bought an old IceBox I plan to use as a cold smoker for cheese, bacon, and sausage.  

I can post a few videos, I have a youtube channel just for that.

Well thats about it for my exciting life here LOL.

• olcowhand, daytime dave, Gtractor and 17 others have said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 07:49 AM

Its good to hear from you.  I've been wondering where you've been.

You're a good man to be dropping your interests in favor of taking care of your wife.  I hope your shoulder and all that sort of nonsense gets straightened out.

I do have one bone to pick with you: don't talk about smoking meat without offering to share.  Just a little brother to brother there. 

Ben W.

• sacsr, tinbender7 and Amigatec have said thanks

#3 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 07:53 AM

Well next I fire up the smoker, I'll try to blow the smoke your direction. LOL

BYW I have 3 smokers now.
  • tinbender7, bgkid2966 and superaben have said thanks

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 07:55 AM

Damn dude, you're just fallin' apart. Best wishes.

#5 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 08:39 AM

Sorry to hear about the wife. That is another disease that I deplore. i sure wish we would take more effort and money to find cures for these devistating diseases. Keep taking good care of her, and don't forget to take care of yourself. Sounds like you are busy around the house as well as at work. I will be interested in you making of the cold smoker. I just picked up an old fridge (from the 40s) and plan on making a smoker.

Take care hope your health gets better soon.   Good Luck.                                                                          Roger.

#6 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 08:42 AM

I can sure understand. My interests change all of the time. Just remember that we are with you no matter what you are doing.

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 08:45 AM

Glad to hear from you even if things aren't rosey right now.

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 09:00 AM

Sorry to hear about your wife and your health problems. Has your doctor tested you for Lymes Disease? Here in CT it is common and very nasty. I've had it twice. I felt like I had a flu for months. I then found that I could not stand bright light. When I went to the DR. it turnned out that I had Lymes. Six weeks of tetracycaline and I was much better. Long term effects can mimic MS, MD, alzeimers, and many other diseaes. It killed our dogs and crippled a young boy down the road. I hear that he has recovered abunch. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, May 10, 2014 - 09:01 AM.

• Alc and HDWildBill have said thanks

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 11:14 AM

Sorry to hear about the wife being bed ridden.  It sounds like you have a full day each and every day. I have a friend who went through the same thing with his wife.  I remember how hard it was on him.  

I know all to well how debilitating a shoulder injury can be!  It seems like everything you do goes through that shoulder.  Are you still working for the VA?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 05:58 PM

Just check in when you can. Priority #1 is taking care oof the wife, then take care of yourself.
We miss you and your contributions to the forum , but understand getting busy.

#11 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 06:23 PM

Sorry to hear about the wife being bed ridden. It sounds like you have a full day each and every day. I have a friend who went through the same thing with his wife. I remember how hard it was on him.

I know all to well how debilitating a shoulder injury can be! It seems like everything you do goes through that shoulder. Are you still working for the VA?

Yes I'm still working for the VA.

When I dislocated my shoulder I was removing Sheetrock from a kitchen wall that wasn't insulated. I tripped over some debris on the floor and fell across the cabinet.
I had the ambulance take me to the VA for my shoulder, they tried 3 times to get it back in. After I insulted the Dr mother a few times. HEHE he decided he couldn't get it back in. I had the kid take me to a hospital in Tulsa, where they knocked me out and reset it.

They took me down to X-ray to check it, and it came back out. So he had to reset it again. By that time I was so doped up it really didn't matter any more.

I have a high threshold for pain, but this was off the chart. I never felt anything that hurt that bad.

Edited by Amigatec, May 10, 2014 - 06:24 PM.

• MH81, sacsr and HDWildBill have said thanks

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 07:48 PM

Pat, great to hear from you, even if the news isn't all the best.
Please let the Mrs know we are sending prayers her way (and yours too)
I tore my rotator cuff years ago, shoulder injuries suck, but there are worse fates.
Hope the stomach trouble is something simple... If the Doc isn't doing what's needed, best get another Doc.

Please know you can come here to vent or whatever. Even if you haven't been wrenching, we are still interested.

Oh, and is that your pumpkin I saw on the website?

#13 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 08:02 PM

Yes, good to hear from you no matter the circumstances, but I sure wish things were better for you.  I have a sister with MS.  Some days she can walk, other days a wheelchair, and other days bed only.  It's a nasty slow debilitating disease for sure.  They are researching for answers like mad, and I hope they find something soon.

#14 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,233 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 08:07 PM

A good friend of the family was diagnosed in the late 80s. He has went from a cane to a walker to a wheel chair. It was been horrible to watch.

Making sacrifices for those you love is what being married is all about. That's the sign of a good man.

I don't know you but I wish both of you the best.

#15 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 09:21 PM

I'm glad to hear from you, even if it is mostly bad news.  I'm sorry to hear of your wife, but you are a good friend and husband to attend to her.

I hope you can get some enjoyment from the smoking.

Keep in touch.

Dave