• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 trackcar OFFLINE  

trackcar
  • Member No: 15296
  • 26 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 08:26 PM

I have a Sears 18hp twin that runs okay. I noticed the other day when I got it running and engaged the pto for the mower deck, there was a slight wobble to the mower as it was sitting still. I hope to check into it further tomorrow. Off the top of my head I would think it could be the blade(s) are not balanced or one of the spindles is not turning in unison with the others(belt slip or bad spindle bearings). Any thoughts??

Edited by trackcar, May 09, 2014 - 08:26 PM.

#2 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 538 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 09:20 PM

I have seen this in many of the lesser model GT's  Some of those deck designs leave a little to be desired in the way the deck is hung from the tractors frame.  Some have a side to side stabilizer bar, some done.  Usualy its a little stiffness in the belt that will do that, a blade out of balance will cause more of a quiver or harmonic vibration that will drive you bonkers.  You could have a slightly bent pulley, either idler or spindle.  If you can rig it up to have the deck running while your not on it, fire it up, turn on the deck and put the engine to full power and watch(carefully please) a good strong flashlight like a Mag light helps to highlight the pulleys and belt and look for wobble.  Mike

• Alc, superaben, trackcar and 1 other said thanks

#3 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,527 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 04:30 AM

I just ran through that yesterday. Could hear a vibration and just so feel it. I finally took a spindle apart and the bearing fell out in peices.

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and trackcar have said thanks

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 11:41 AM

I have a Sears 18hp twin that runs okay. I noticed the other day when I got it running and engaged the pto for the mower deck, there was a slight wobble to the mower as it was sitting still. I hope to check into it further tomorrow. Off the top of my head I would think it could be the blade(s) are not balanced or one of the spindles is not turning in unison with the others(belt slip or bad spindle bearings). Any thoughts??

I think you are on the right track. Check the blades, spindles, pullies and also the deck suspension.  Make sure all the pin's and clips are still in place.

• trackcar said thank you

#5 trackcar OFFLINE  

trackcar
  • Member No: 15296
  • 26 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 07:28 PM

I have seen this in many of the lesser model GT's  Some of those deck designs leave a little to be desired in the way the deck is hung from the tractors frame.  Some have a side to side stabilizer bar, some done.  Usualy its a little stiffness in the belt that will do that, a blade out of balance will cause more of a quiver or harmonic vibration that will drive you bonkers.  You could have a slightly bent pulley, either idler or spindle.  If you can rig it up to have the deck running while your not on it, fire it up, turn on the deck and put the engine to full power and watch(carefully please) a good strong flashlight like a Mag light helps to highlight the pulleys and belt and look for wobble.  Mike

Thank you all for your quick responses. I ran it today to mow before the rain was due and it did not seem to wobble. It could have been the stiffness of the belt and after warming up I did not notice it. 

• HDWildBill said thank you