• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chuck-williams OFFLINE  

chuck-williams
  • Member No: 56981
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 05:19 PM

New to me john deere 265 this spring, I'm it's second owner. 48" deck. Took delivery last week and just mowed first time yesterday and was impressed. My first john deere. Nice consistent cut, runs good for 22 years.

What's with the lift lever? It doesn't move up or down as far as I can tell. It this normal? Or is something very wrong. Maybe lotsa things, I don't know. I have two manuals, very detailed, great reading, troubleshooting section very helpful too. There's the park brake which I haven't used yet. Only my first day!

I wheel it out to the yard. I turn the PTO toggle ON and the mower engages. I start mowing and everything's fine.

However the lift lever is raised up and I cannot make it go up higher or go down lower. Using the button at its tip too. Tried using lift lever at several different stages during operation.

When done the PTO toggles off, throttle down, wait, turn off.

Am OK with old equipment where certain features aren't necessary anymore. Is the lift lever one of them?

Attached Thumbnails

• jd265_console.jpg

#2 DennyIN OFFLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 290 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 06:24 PM

I also have a 265, a real workhorse. The normal position for the lever is up which is maybe at a 30° angle, I call this the height adjusted floating position. If it is in the normal height adjusted position you should be able to pull the lever back and it will come up maybe another 5°, and lock in that position. If it is already as high as it will go you should be able to pull it slightly higher, push and hold the button in, and let it down so it is back to the height adjusted position. In order to put the lever down to the down lock position, you should be able to force the lever down until it clicks and holds (again, under quite a bit of spring resistance). At this point, if successful, the lever should be horizontal. In order to raise it from that position you would need to force the lever down a bit, push in and hold the button and let the lever should come back up to the height adjusted position. When adjusting the height adjustment, it is easiest done with the lever all the way up, make the rotational adjustment (round dial in front of the seat) and then let it down to the floating height adjustment position. There is a crank on the back of the mower that adjusts the spring tension that controls the force of pushing the lever to the lock down position. I adjust mine so the deck is in the height adjust position and will raise without much resistance when I go over a bump or hill so the deck will float over it.  

I run my mower in the floating height adjustment position which is at that 30° angle, that way the deck is hanging from the tractor and will raise if hitting a high spot. Some probably run in the locked down position where the lever is horizontal, but the deck won't give then. Hope I have not babbled on and confused the issue.      

• chuck-williams said thank you

#3 hdg4400 OFFLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 254 Thanks
  • 326 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 09:56 PM

chuck-williams:

Sounds like DennyIN gave you a pretty good explanation of how the lift lever works. For the official JD word on this and other matters on the 265, I have the Operator's Manual scanned in to a PDF that I could send you, if you want it.

Harlan

• DennyIN said thank you

#4 schweitz OFFLINE  

schweitz

• Member No: 3045
  • 17 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 11:49 PM

I bought a 265 couple years back to supplement the 1978 JD312 that has been my main mower for 28 years. The 265 has high lift blades and a bagger which I need for picking up loads and loads of leaves in the fall. Works great.

I don't want to add confusion to your situation, but since my other 4 JD's all have hydraulic lifts I really missed that in the 265. The hydraulic lift is easier to use and offers opportunity to adjust and hold different cutting heights. Too difficult to add hydraulic lift to the 265, but I was able to remove the manual lever and convert to using an electric actuator which operates like a hydraulic cylinder. Not quite as nice as hydraulic but works OK and can maintain different cutting heights. If you're interested I can email you some photos showing what I did.

#5 chuck-williams OFFLINE  

chuck-williams
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 01:54 PM

chuck-williams:

Sounds like DennyIN gave you a pretty good explanation of how the lift lever works. For the official JD word on this and other matters on the 265, I have the Operator's Manual scanned in to a PDF that I could send you, if you want it.

Harlan

Thanks Harlan. I'm working on DennyIN's suggests. Amazingly I have two, slightly different, manuals for the 265. Bought one on ebay then discovered the original operator manual in that compatment left of the seat. They're invaluable.

#6 chuck-williams OFFLINE  

chuck-williams
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 01:17 PM

I also have a 265, a real workhorse. The normal position for the lever is up which is maybe at a 30° angle, I call this the height adjusted floating position. If it is in the normal height adjusted position you should be able to pull the lever back and it will come up maybe another 5°, and lock in that position. If it is already as high as it will go you should be able to pull it slightly higher, push and hold the button in, and let it down so it is back to the height adjusted position. In order to put the lever down to the down lock position, you should be able to force the lever down until it clicks and holds (again, under quite a bit of spring resistance). At this point, if successful, the lever should be horizontal. In order to raise it from that position you would need to force the lever down a bit, push in and hold the button and let the lever should come back up to the height adjusted position. When adjusting the height adjustment, it is easiest done with the lever all the way up, make the rotational adjustment (round dial in front of the seat) and then let it down to the floating height adjustment position. There is a crank on the back of the mower that adjusts the spring tension that controls the force of pushing the lever to the lock down position. I adjust mine so the deck is in the height adjust position and will raise without much resistance when I go over a bump or hill so the deck will float over it.  

I run my mower in the floating height adjustment position which is at that 30° angle, that way the deck is hanging from the tractor and will raise if hitting a high spot. Some probably run in the locked down position where the lever is horizontal, but the deck won't give then. Hope I have not babbled on and confused the issue.      

Thanks. I didn't expect that much resistance and was reluctant to force the lever on my first day out. Your advice was perfect and I got the lift lever to move up and then back to the middle position so I'm good. Now I can continue learning the rest of it.

#7 DennyIN OFFLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 290 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 10:52 PM

i put a suicide knob on my steering wheel and it makes turning quicker. I mounted mine so I use it primarily with my left hand and use my right hand for operating the transmission.