• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 21, 2014 - 09:20 AM

It's hard to hand pull. The stems break easily. When you mow it, the pieces spread by the mower tend to reroot.

Also, I have found that the 2, 4-D sold to the farmers is a lot more potent that the stuff sold to homeowners.

Your correct on the 2-4-d it is a slightly different formulation than the big box stores sell.  If you can go to your local coop or Agronomy location....Roundup is the same way.  the stuff you buy at hoe depot , or walmart is weaker than the stuff at the local coop. 

• Bill 76 said thank you

#17 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,675 Thanks
  • 7,689 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 10:27 AM

I have found that with the homeowner stuff, I have to spray twice. So, in an effort to keep uninformed people from over spraying, they have to over spray.

When I worked at the Il. Tollway, I had to oversee an outside Weed spraying contractor and keep track of how much 2, 4-D they used. I took all of they're empty bottles and drained them together and took home about a quart of left overs. I found that dandilions, Creepy Charlie, burdock, everything ; died right now.

So, how do you get the good stuff? You have to have a state liscence or you have to have a friendly farmer who is liscensed.

• Bill 76 said thank you

#18 FrozenInTime ONLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 12:06 PM

I let my chickens go at them once a week. They love it as a treat, the go nuts for it. I'm going to pick up some Trimec to spray the yard soon. I have a serious bumper crop of dandy lions this year.
  • Bill 76 said thank you

#19 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 21, 2014 - 08:32 PM

I have found that with the homeowner stuff, I have to spray twice. So, in an effort to keep uninformed people from over spraying, they have to over spray.

When I worked at the Il. Tollway, I had to oversee an outside Weed spraying contractor and keep track of how much 2, 4-D they used. I took all of they're empty bottles and drained them together and took home about a quart of left overs. I found that dandilions, Creepy Charlie, burdock, everything ; died right now.

So, how do you get the good stuff? You have to have a state liscence or you have to have a friendly farmer who is liscensed.

LilysDad

Where your located in Illinois just go to your local farm co-op  or grain elevator.  They will have the good stuff.  you might have to buy a 2.5 gallon jug.  but it will be worth it.  Do the same with Round up  have them get you there version of it Touchdown...Durango...etc its actually much cheaper in bulk than at the big stores.  it my take a few days to work but when it does .....wow.

• LilysDad and Bill 76 have said thanks

#20 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 02:30 AM

Well I sprayed it with Trimec mixed in the garden spayer,mixed it a bit stronger then the bottle said.About 3 days later it looked like it wanted to die and when I looked today it looked like It did before I sprayed it.--Now I have declared war on this pest,I plan on spraying it again and follow up couple days later with  one more spray,just gotta wait until after monday cus were supposed to have a dry strech and I don't want it to wash off.

I have to say it really did a number on the dandy loins,their deader than a door nail.

Will keep you up to date on progress on this---It may have won the first battle but the war is not over, I will use round up before I surrender. 

Bill

• Alc and shorty have said thanks

#21 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • Member No: 11834
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 07:48 AM

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400935606.737089.jpg
There's always the tiller!
This is what we started at my brothers house yesterday. Gonna till the whole yard under, re level it all, haul in 20 or so yards of black dirt and put in a sprinkler system this week.
Then have someone come over and hydroseed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Bill 76 said thank you

#22 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,675 Thanks
  • 7,689 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 08:04 AM

What was the temperature when you sprayed? Most chemicals need the temp to be warm enough( 75+) so the plant is actively growing.

• Bill 76 said thank you

#23 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 03:32 PM

What was the temperature when you sprayed? Most chemicals need the temp to be warm enough( 75+) so the plant is actively growing.

It was about it the mid to upper 70s when I did the first spray--watshing the weather now ,hoping for some dry time so it don't get washed off on the next spray.

#24 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 27, 2014 - 07:55 AM

With Trimec your rain safe in 6-8 hours but 24 is better, that way you know that plant has absorbed it.
  • Bill 76 said thank you

#25 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 07:39 PM

if you do not care about the grass.

use a LP torch and burn it

• Bill 76 said thank you

#26 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 07:01 AM

I would like to know more about the use of Borax. I got a formula to mix stuff with Borax and it didn't work at all. I have clover in the lawn I don't want to kill off with a general brood leaf killer.

:D   Al

#27 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 08:54 AM

I sprayed my yard twice with 2,4-D  this year; 1st time i followed the bottle directions and the weeds "laughed at it"  the 2nd time, I got Charlie... but the watergrass has taken over worse than the creeping charlie was..... time for Roundup on it all I guess...