Garden Tractor Forums banner

Need Help With Creeping Charlie

4K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  dodge trucker 
#1 ·
Can anyone help me get rid of the creeping charlie that is starting to take over my yard? From what I hear I was to treat it in the fall well it's to late for that.I have read about it and now confused more.
I read that trimec works but not sure where to get it or if it would work.The lawn center has not been much help.
Anyone got any good ideas on what would kill or control this pest that is starting to really tick me off.
Oh yeah I also don't want to kill the grass that I still have.
Thanks much Bill

#6 ·
I am not sure what it is? Pictures please. I have some thing here that's grows long. Don't know the name of it, could be called something else here in PEI. Noel

Reactions: Bill 76
#8 ·
So that is what that stuff in front of the house is. I was thinking this was a Vietnam flashback thread at first. The chickens killed most of it back when we had 20 chickens. However the coyotes thinned the flock and now charlie is back.
The village won't let us have more than one chicken,guess their looking out for my health,Don't want me eating to many eggs,Ya right.

But you may have given me a idea---if all else falis maybe I will whip up a batch of napalm and burn this stuff outa my yard.

#9 ·
I am not sure what it is? Pictures please. I have some thing here that's grows long. Don't know the name of it, could be called something else here in PEI. Noel
Noel heres a picture of the weed, I think it's creeping charley Plant Groundcover Terrestrial plant Grass Grass family

Attachments

#11 ·
Yes, I have seen that type of leaf before. Vines grow a long the ground around the grass and keeps spreading with the leafs coming up some. Nasty stuff. Thanks Bill Noel

Reactions: Bill 76
G
#16 ·
It's hard to hand pull. The stems break easily. When you mow it, the pieces spread by the mower tend to reroot.

Also, I have found that the 2, 4-D sold to the farmers is a lot more potent that the stuff sold to homeowners.
Your correct on the 2-4-d it is a slightly different formulation than the big box stores sell. If you can go to your local coop or Agronomy location....Roundup is the same way. the stuff you buy at hoe depot , or walmart is weaker than the stuff at the local coop.

#17 ·
I have found that with the homeowner stuff, I have to spray twice. So, in an effort to keep uninformed people from over spraying, they have to over spray.

When I worked at the Il. Tollway, I had to oversee an outside Weed spraying contractor and keep track of how much 2, 4-D they used. I took all of they're empty bottles and drained them together and took home about a quart of left overs. I found that dandilions, Creepy Charlie, burdock, everything ; died right now.

So, how do you get the good stuff? You have to have a state liscence or you have to have a friendly farmer who is liscensed.

G
#19 ·
I have found that with the homeowner stuff, I have to spray twice. So, in an effort to keep uninformed people from over spraying, they have to over spray.

When I worked at the Il. Tollway, I had to oversee an outside Weed spraying contractor and keep track of how much 2, 4-D they used. I took all of they're empty bottles and drained them together and took home about a quart of left overs. I found that dandilions, Creepy Charlie, burdock, everything ; died right now.

So, how do you get the good stuff? You have to have a state liscence or you have to have a friendly farmer who is liscensed.
LilysDad

Where your located in Illinois just go to your local farm co-op or grain elevator. They will have the good stuff. you might have to buy a 2.5 gallon jug. but it will be worth it. Do the same with Round up have them get you there version of it Touchdown...Durango...etc its actually much cheaper in bulk than at the big stores. it my take a few days to work but when it does .....wow.

#20 ·
Well I sprayed it with Trimec mixed in the garden spayer,mixed it a bit stronger then the bottle said.About 3 days later it looked like it wanted to die and when I looked today it looked like It did before I sprayed it.--Now I have declared war on this pest,I plan on spraying it again and follow up couple days later with one more spray,just gotta wait until after monday cus were supposed to have a dry strech and I don't want it to wash off.

I have to say it really did a number on the dandy loins,their deader than a door nail.

Will keep you up to date on progress on this---It may have won the first battle but the war is not over, I will use round up before I surrender.

Bill

#21 ·
Plant Wheel Leaf Tree Road surface

There's always the tiller!
This is what we started at my brothers house yesterday. Gonna till the whole yard under, re level it all, haul in 20 or so yards of black dirt and put in a sprinkler system this week.
Then have someone come over and hydroseed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.