21 replies to this topic

#1 my69pony OFFLINE  

my69pony
  • Member No: 56943
  • 19 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 11:32 AM

Hi All,

I am new to the Web Site and also new to the Garden Tractor community. I will likely have several projects in the future, but I'm starting with a MF 24S that was purchased new by my Grandfather as his first rider. I'm not sure of the year, but my Dad seems to think it was somewhere in the mid '60s. Any way, my Dad took possession of the 24 in the mid '80s and it has set around doing nothing since. I finally convinced him to restore it and hope to have everything done buy our big family reunion in July. I have attached a few picture of what I have to start with and have made contact with iamsherwood (Will) who has already restored a 24 of his own. I'm sure I will have a few questions along the way and Will has assured me that the gardentractortalk is a great place to get the needed information. I already know my first hurdle will be finding parts, with a Input Gear and Shaft Assembly and Transmission Drive Pulley being the first priorities. 

Here's hoping all goes well with this restoration with more to follow.

Brian

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0020.JPG
  • DSC_0032.JPG
  • DSC_0044.JPG
  • DSC_0051.JPG

• DH1, IamSherwood, Littledeere and 3 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 11:36 AM

:welcome: to GTTalk,
Nice looking 24 you have there, thanks for joining and introducing yourself

#3 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,892 Thanks
  • 2,795 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 11:45 AM

WELCOME ABOARD NICE GT

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 12:19 PM

Welcome to GTT. Check out our Manuals Section for info. Good Luck, Rick

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 12:52 PM

Brian, Welcome to GTtalk. If you have Will giving you the info and help then you are in good hands. Good luck.

• IamSherwood said thank you

#6 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 01:37 PM

WELCOME! It will be fun to watch the restoration!

#7 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 02:00 PM

:welcometogttalk:

#8 my69pony OFFLINE  

my69pony
  • 19 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 03:17 PM

Thanks to all for the kind welcome. It is a great day when you can find a site that is helpful. As stated in my first post, the first main hurtle will be finding parts. With any site I frequent, I like to support the businesses that support the site. With that being said, does anybody know of a good source for vintage parts? I'm having a difficult time locating some of the needed parts for this restoration. Some of the needed parts may not be available, but I'm sure there are many that are. Any help would be welcome for this project as well as future projects (Sears, David Bradley, AMF, IH).

Thanks again for the help and support,

Brian

• MH81 and ENafziger have said thanks

#9 Jrex OFFLINE  

Jrex
  • Member No: 56908
  • 24 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 05:53 PM

:welcometogttalk:  Good luck with your restoration! These guys are very helpful, you'll like it here!

#10 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 07:35 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Looks like a nice Massey project there.

I can help you with any brand of antique engine parts, and the other vendors here are more than experts when it comes to the tractor itself. 

Ben W.

#11 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 08:05 PM

That's a good looking 24S Deluxe you've got there. Looks like all

the parts you have, are in really good shape.

Have you looked in the manuals section here? I believe

there is a manual for those peerless trannies.

Thanks for the kind words Brian (both of you).

Hopefully I can be of help.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#12 my69pony OFFLINE  

my69pony
  • 19 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 02:17 PM

Will, 

I found manuals for 24s parts book and the operator's manual. I will look for the manual for the peerless trans. The trans is one of my biggest concerns due to the fact that when I pulled the top cover off the input shaft was missing and the gear was in the bottom of the trans in two pieces. I have found a place in Wisconsin that has the parts I need, so if there is nothing else wrong with the trans, it should be an easy fix. The only parts that I'm missing that I have not been able to find is the steering wheel and a few odds and ends. Dad seems to think he has the steering wheel around somewhere, but I'm not counting on that being the case. Hopefully I will be able to start cleaning all the parts and ordering what I can on Monday.

Brian 

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#13 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 04:16 PM

Brian, I would look to see whatever other brands might have used that same tranny. A lot of different manufactures used the same components to build their GT's. Do you know what model of Peerless it is?

#14 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 05:48 AM

I went looking through the Peerless manuals from the site here, and on my hard drive.
Looks like it isn't a Peerless. I couldn't find it in their books. I was under the impression it was,
because the guy that I got my 24s off of, gave me a CD full of pics, B&S manuals, and a
Peerless manual. I never had to look into it, and just assumed that's what was on the 24s.
As TD&H suggested, you may be better off hunting down a complete used tranny.
I hope you can find that steering wheel. They're harder to find than a warm sunny day
this past winter.
  • MH81 and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#15 my69pony OFFLINE  

my69pony
  • 19 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 10:41 PM

Thanks for all the great advise. I have found all the parts I need with the exception of the steering wheel and rear tires. I'm not sure what brand the trans is, but I was able to track down the input shaft and gear, as well as the input bushing and seal from a dealer in Wisconsin. In fact, the vast majority of parts I needed came
Ritchie Implement in Barneveld WI. Great to work with and seem to have reasonable prices (although being the first time dealing in tractor parts I don't know for sure) but I was happy with what I as able to find.

Will, the steering wheel is proving difficult, but my Dad is still convinced that the steering wheel is somewhere around either at his place or at Grandpa's place. I'm going to stop in and look through the garages and out buildings at Grandpa's place tomorrow. Dad will be looking around his place on Saturday. There is hope, there had to be a warm sunny day somewhere this past winter. Hopefully something will turn up. As for tires, I'm thinking I may have to find something that looks close and is close to the same size. The best I have found so far are some snow-blower tires either 11.00x4x4 or some 4.10x4. I will keep looking since I have a bit of time still in the restoration process.

Brian