• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Endo OFFLINE  

Endo

• Member No: 8340
  • 13 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 09:24 AM

My 455 is giving me some issues and looking for a little experience.  Starting this winter while snow blowing the tractor would occasionly shut down and not restart until it felt like it.  It is a diesel and when I say it won't start I mean everything is dead, like I am not even turning the key.  Well it got progressively worse and is now starting to blow the control fuse randomly.  Tried unhooking the shut off selenoid as it seemed to get hot but still blowing fuse.  Also at one time it acted as though the seat safety switch was not working, let out brake and it shut down.  Bypassed switch and same issue, then it just started working again until it blew a fuse again....  Also found the fuel pump with a blown fuse once. 

I have been threw the the wiring looking for a shorts and everything seems OK.  I even cleaned all the contacts on both boards.  Anyone have any idea"s?

#2 bh115577 OFFLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 09:39 AM

Try cleaning all the grounds you can find down to bare metal.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 10:17 AM

If you are blowing fuses in multiple circuits then perhaps check your battery voltage to make sure it's not higher than normal due to over charging by a defective regulator.

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 11:01 AM

It may be the power module.  Do you have a copy of the Service manual for it?  You can troubleshoot the main power circuit in the electrical section..  There is a little circuit board under the dash on the right side (side panel removed) which hooks to the key switch..  There is where all the madness starts..  The fuse you seem to be blowing is on the tractor power center (the other circuit board with the LEDs and fuses by the frame.  Examine the wiring and look for any obvious damage and ring out the  main power circuit as there is where your fuse blowing problem is.

I can give you a link to the manual I speak of  (PM me).  D/L it and save it to your H/D and go to the electrical troubleshooting section for the 455.

#5 Endo OFFLINE  

Endo

• Member No: 8340
  • 13 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 11:52 AM

I was kind of leading in the direction of the circuit board with so many different things going on. Just wanting to make sure before I buy it. Don't see any obvious shorts and intermittent makes troubleshooting a nightmare.

#6 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 12:12 PM

I was kind of leading in the direction of the circuit board with so many different things going on. Just wanting to make sure before I buy it. Don't see any obvious shorts and intermittent makes troubleshooting a nightmare.

I bought a circuit board on a whim once and guess what-  It wasn't the problem!  Now I got a spare!  Trouble shoot the main power circuit and replace the RIGHT part as there are many.  The trouble shooting section is actually quite easy as the wires are both color coded and have the wire # on them to boot.  Don't guess..  

The power circuit diagnosis section for your machine starts on page 5-282 of the manual..

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, May 09, 2014 - 12:14 PM.