• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 08:22 PM

Ok, so it has started. I have an old John Deere 140 axle left over from my dual wheel conversion and I now have decided to build a mini hay wagon. I kinda am falling away from the norm here and making a full steel frame and then adding a wood deck. I also plan on adding side stake pockets to allow swap out of sides and will be building some different sets of sides. I am also gonna add some running lights that will be powered off the tractor. I do plan on letting the family go for a ride when they want and whatever else I can come up with using it for. Firstly, I do plan on moving the threeish cords of wood out of my back yard with it.

Oh, size. I am looking at 40" wide by 8' long. I have the front axle and front tires. Currently, I am looking at ebay for the rear set. I have the steel. Will have to get the wood later. I would love to find some old reuse wood. Maybe I might find some.
  • hamman, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 08:47 PM

Here is the first pic of just the pile of steel in my basement. Also, you can see the front axle...uploadfromtaptalk1399600072411.jpg

Sent from my CAT B15 smartphone.
  • sacsr, tinbender7, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#3 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 09:09 PM

If you have a shop in your basement I'm a little jealous! The wife would never allow that here.

Biulding a wagon for myself is one thing that I haven't gotten done yet. Can't wait to see yours built!

• michael.kitko said thank you

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 05:22 AM

Sounds like a good idea. Here is a link to the one I built.

#5 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 09:47 PM

Today, I cut the front and rear plates from the 6" x 3/16" strip steel I ordered. I cut those to 40 1/4" wide. I also got the rear tacked to the (2) 96" piece of 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" angle iron. I also got the log in the front cut up into sections for the portable sawmill that might show up this Thursday to chop it into the boards for the sides and bed of the wagon. Should have gotten more done, but moving those logs took forever. Does anyone know how much weight a John Deere 140 can safely pull without too much problems? I am not looking to go to the max limit, for I don't want to push her that hard, but it is looking like this trailer is going to weigh in at about 300 pounds, give or take a 100 and I would really like to know if she will be able to move it with about 8 people or a load of wood. Of course, I will give a proper weight when I get it done. Here is a pic of the wood that I played with all day.
uploadfromtaptalk1399775934903.jpg

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk
  • sacsr said thank you

#6 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 08:29 PM

I got the bed beams and side angle iron tacked to the end plates. I also had to add two pieces to my work table to get it off the floor. I had to use my knee on the pedal to start and stop the arc, talk about a balancing act. I will take a picture tomorrow of what I have done so far.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#7 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 10:59 PM

Here is the picture from the bed being tacked together and a table jig holding it up.
uploadfromtaptalk1400039716343.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1400039729355.jpg
Also, for today, I got the front cross members tacked on. I plan on reinforcing them later, but I spent a good portion of my day working for the wife on a bathroom remodel. Wish I got more done.
uploadfromtaptalk1400039881214.jpg

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#8 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 07:24 PM

Yesterday, I got this all done. Sorry for the late post guys. I did get the rear axle mounted and tacked in along with the holes drilled and filed out for the front axle. I had to build a jig for the rear and it did take forever getting it measured and tapped into place. It is level. As long as it doesn't move when I move it outside and then get it sticked together with the stick welder, I think it will run true. I also realized, it is also a good thing I am a pack rat, because I had saved the front washers from the old front axle when I did the conversion. I am so glad I saved a few pennies there.uploadfromtaptalk1400545311484.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1400545329479.jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#9 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 10:16 AM

How much do you think this will hold?

#10 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 11:14 AM

I don't know yet. I am figuring around a ton or so. Maybe I am thinking too small or large...don't know really...any guesses...

• VintageIronCollector said thank you

#11 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 03:17 PM

I don't know yet. I am figuring around a ton or so. Maybe I am thinking too small or large...don't know really...any guesses...

I want to build one that can hold about 1300lbs.

#12 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 12:01 PM

Not much done over the past few, because the wife decided we needed to redo our bathroom, so work has been slow. I did however finally get the rear tires on and bolted down. Welded on the stops and tapped and installed bolts on the rear. Also thinking about adding another piece of angle iron to the bottom side to allow for better bolting of the boards down. Just thought I should give a little update to let you all know I haven't forgotten about this or abandoned it.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#13 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted June 02, 2015 - 06:02 PM

I am refreshing this thread because the wife has said to get this going again...I will be cutting the rear axle off to widen it and move it to the rear. I have to finish the stake pockets. I also have to put in the frame stregthening supports. This might be a little overkill, but it did have a ton to a ton and a half on it this last fall. There has also been a slow down on this due to the wood needing a year to dry, because it was cut from actual oak logs. Couple that with the fact that I had to do a lot of Navy stuff and you can see where the slow down was. Anyways, I also need to figure out the steering issue and of course paint the frame and stain the wood and mount some new tires. Can't wait.

• KennyP said thank you

#14 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted June 02, 2015 - 06:13 PM

What type of steering are you looking at? The whole axle turning or spindles like I did mine? I went with the spindles so it wouldn't tip so easily with front weight.

#15 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted June 02, 2015 - 06:33 PM

I am going the spindles route, when I took it for a test run, the tongue would turn lets say 90 degrees total and the wheels would turn only 15 if that. They essentially stayed straight. I am guessing I have the tie rods too far back. I might also have my tongue too long.