No replies to this topic

#1 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,519 Thanks
  • 2,551 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 07:57 PM

on a few of our GTs. Can't show pics because camera is down right now. I picked up a Agri-Fab 48" York rake a couple of years ago and had to fab a hitch for our Sears Custom 10 XL ( Charlie) to use it. The more I use the rake I really like it and I get the hang of how to use it properly. I borrowed my Neighbors Kubota BX 2200 with a loader to move a bunck of dirt and 22 yr old rotting pine logs and stumps. Mostly I pushed them back and the wife and I cleaned an area of our property tha thas been previously unuseable. About 4 years ago we had the new garage built and the top soil from the spot was piled behind the garage. We have been digging into it for use in the flower beds and such since then. This year we decided to make a cleaning of the area to make it look better and more useable. Yeaterday I finally got all the dirt moved just befor breaking my neighbors Kubota. ( A story for another time) Today was the day to try to level thae area. Actually looks pretty good now. Have to buy some grass seed and get it seeded to start the process of reclaiming the yard. About 18 yrs ago we had the lot next door cleared for my inlaws to build on. WHen the trees were cleared they chipped the scrub pine trees and piled the unused logs (small ones) and the stumps (about 100 in a pile near the back of the property. We tried to have the stupms haued away and no one wanted them even for pay. So they are rotting and returning to the ground. We have a few logs left and we are going to cut them and pile them for burning next winter. We have been going to burn them for a long time. Next winter will be the time to do it.

I took the Homelite T-16 H, ( Bob) and tilled the garden and moved an antique hay loader into another position in the back yard. Garden is now ready to finish derocking and will have some cow manure put on it and tilled in by next week. We have grown a garden in the area where all the pines grew for the last few years. Last year was the best year. I believe the acidity of the ground is evening out and I have the right mixture of the right nutrients in place to grow a decent garden this year. We plan on planting Potatoes (hilling them), Green Beans, Tomatoes, Sweet Corn, Peppers, Cabbage, Cucumbers, Zucchini, Carrots,  and leaf lettuce.

Made the mistake last year of planting to soon and had some plants get frosted. We are going to wait a bit this year to plant. I think this year with the added , well composted Cow Manure it will do well.

I will have some pictures tomorrow when I get the camera back from repair.  

Thanks for reading.                             Roger.

• IamSherwood, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: simplicity, sears, york rake, homelite