• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 07:41 PM

This old girl came in to our shop with reported problem of it locked up while he was using it.  It has sat for about a month in line, finaly got to look at it. Owner didnt want to put much into it as he was shopping for a ZTR.  I put a wrench on the crank bolt and sure enough it was locked up solid.  He said no problem, gave him the excuse he needed to go buy a new Grasshopper ZTR.  My boss bought the tractor off of him for a good price and I bought it off our shop for a good price.   I never thought of pulling the pto clutch to check the bearings, didnt smell anything burnt or see any signs of a clutch bearing failure.  But once I got her home, sure enough, the rear bearing in the electric clutch is toast!  The 18hp Vanguard just purrs.   I need to see if I can get replacement covers that go over the indicator lights on the dash, the rubber hood tie downs are gone and I need to start shopping for a PTO clutch.  The mower deck is a 48" and the hour meter shows 468 hours.  Cheers   Mike and Michele T

DSC07160_zps6ebb55c2.jpg

DSC07159_zpse743d18d.jpg

DSC07161_zps6485ca20.jpg

DSC07162_zpsf8dca818.jpg

• daytime dave, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 4 others have said thanks

#2 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 07:45 PM

Looks like you got a good deal.  Nice looking tractor.

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 07:45 PM

She's a beauty ! I looked at one like that last year but no where near  that nice

#4 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 07:49 PM

I am trying to figure out if the Vanguard power plant is a repower or just a very late model Sunstar.  All the others I have seen come thru the shop are Kohler twins, either mag or command series.  The only other Vanguard was a SEW repower kit that I put in at a previous employer.  Mike

• Gabriel said thank you

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 08:43 PM

I am trying to figure out if the Vanguard power plant is a repower or just a very late model Sunstar.  All the others I have seen come thru the shop are Kohler twins, either mag or command series.  The only other Vanguard was a SEW repower kit that I put in at a previous employer.  Mike

The Agco Allis and Deutz versions used Vanguards.   I bet its original.

Ben W.

#6 Killer_A-C OFFLINE  

Killer_A-C
  • Member No: 51839
  • 367 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 08:46 PM

I had one that done the same thing.He should have stuck with the SS IMO....

#7 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 08:51 PM

He wanted a Grasshopper, told him it was worth putting an engine in it.  But he wanted rid on it, and didnt want a Simplicity, Snapper Pro or Scag ZTR, which is what we sell.  Now the shops mechanic has himself a really nice tractor with power steering and a smooth running Vanguard.  Just need a clutch!  Will see what my cost is on one tomorrow.  

• Gabriel said thank you

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 08:51 PM

Wow, that is one good looking SunStar you got. It should be a great tractor for a very long time to come.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 08:53 PM

I figure it's a late model, as the dash is also different from the one I had.

#10 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 08:25 AM

I figure it's a late model, as the dash is also different from the one I had.

Yup...a late Vanny powered SS is a scarce find.  That one is a real gem!  You did great.

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 06:48 PM

He wanted a Grasshopper, told him it was worth putting an engine in it.  But he wanted rid on it, and didnt want a Simplicity, Snapper Pro or Scag ZTR, which is what we sell.  Now the shops mechanic has himself a really nice tractor with power steering and a smooth running Vanguard.  Just need a clutch!  Will see what my cost is on one tomorrow.

That is a nice looking machine. I think the Simplicity and Simplicity built machines have the best mowing cut in the game.

On that clutch, see if you can get the bearing out and if the housing is not damaged you should be able to press a new bearing or a few bucks, When the bearing went out of my JD 318 Dad went to the JD dealer to get the bearing. The clerk told him they could not get bearings, Iwould ave to buy a new clutch.. Dad told him to check again. Clerk said Ihave been selling clutches for 5 yrs and your right I can get replacement bearings

#12 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 07:58 PM

I did just that, I had to grind three stakings of the rear plate, then I was able to drive out the bad rear bearing. I will take it to the local bearing wholesaler on Monday. I checked today, we cannot get individual parts for that clutch thru any of our suppliers.  Only a new one at well over $300 bucks.   MSRP on that clutch is like $519!!!  I bet the bearing will be $25 or less. I forgot to check to see if I can get new lense covers for my dash indicator lights.  I did order new hood hold down straps.  There are locations for 3 gauges, all I have is the hour meter in the center.  What were the optional gauges?  I guess one could go with cylinder head temp gauges on each side, or a tach.  

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 07:59 PM

There was a fuel gauge option.

#14 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 08:48 PM

I see that, the wiring is there to the tank and a block off plate on the top of the tank for the gauge.  Might have to hunt for one of those.  Maybe that and a duel cylinder head temp gauge in the other slot.  

#15 Killer_A-C OFFLINE  

Killer_A-C
  • Member No: 51839
  • 367 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 09:00 PM

Voltmeter fuel hour meter