10 replies to this topic

#1 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 55667
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 02:59 PM

Hi all, i have a newer homelite chainsaw. Its not brand new but gotta be a few years old now. So anyways i cant seem to find a carb tool to adjust the L and H on it. Its a 38cc i believe with a 16" bar and chain i think also. I go into woods and cut up downed trees that have been there for a while or that just fell down by nature. I cut split and stack all myself for my parents to enjoy the warm fireplace during the winter. We dont heat the house with it but its just nice to have a fire going when its snowing or cold out. So anyways id like to find the correct tool to fit this screw here is a pic ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399578982.063115.jpg and a pic of the saw itself ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399579140.128662.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399579159.846408.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399579176.512329.jpg

Also when i go into a log i have to rev it to MAX rpms just so it doesnt bog down, i feel this saw maybe underpowered or just need the carb adjusted
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by iZach98, May 08, 2014 - 03:01 PM.

• Gabriel said thank you

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 03:21 PM

Welcome to the world of the EPA and tree huggin'. Those are the tamper proof adjustment screws so the homeowner cannot adjust the carbs to make them actually run properly. It would not be bad if the adjusted the toll to properly run.

Even some small engine technicians have a hard time getting that tool.

I bought a Ryboi weedeater about 3 yrs ago, I almost threw it over the fence after a couple uses. It would not rev and hold rpm's when I cut the weeds or grass, bogged down really easily.

Here's what I did,.... put my little cut off blade in my dremel and cut a slot in the top of each adjustment screw. I put almost 3/4 turn on each screw......runs like a scalded dog now..... like is should!!!!

My mixture was 50:1, I add just a tad more oil to mix since I added more fuel to the burn.

• hamman said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 03:22 PM

A plugged fuel filter in the tank and a plugged air filter can cause the same problems. Give it a good cleanning and servicing first. Good Luck, Rick

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 03:47 PM

Here you go. I bought a complete set from him a few years ago and they were very reasonably priced.

#5 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 04:01 PM

Welcome to the world of the EPA and tree huggin'. Those are the tamper proof adjustment screws so the homeowner cannot adjust the carbs to make them actually run properly. It would not be bad if the adjusted the toll to properly run.
Even some small engine technicians have a hard time getting that tool.
I bought a Ryboi weedeater about 3 yrs ago, I almost threw it over the fence after a couple uses. It would not rev and hold rpm's when I cut the weeds or grass, bogged down really easily.
Here's what I did,.... put my little cut off blade in my dremel and cut a slot in the top of each adjustment screw. I put almost 3/4 turn on each screw......runs like a scalded dog now..... like is should!!!!
My mixture was 50:1, I add just a tad more oil to mix since I added more fuel to the burn.

Yeah i can see why they made it so its hard to find the tool, so someone who dont know how to tune a carb dosent screw the engine up or something.

• Gabriel said thank you

#6 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 04:04 PM

Here you go. I bought a complete set from him a few years ago and they were very reasonably priced.

So its $44 for one tool?!? That seems like a lot to me but if its the right tool i will see if i can get my dad to pay for it since he dont pay me for getting the wood and splitting it. But i do like cutting and splitting firewood. I will give him 2 options
Option 1: pay the $44 for the correct tool
Option 2: cut a slot in the screw with the Dremel. Also known as redneck style. Lol
I think he will choose option one as he dosent like to modify things.

Edited by iZach98, May 08, 2014 - 04:05 PM.

#7 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,298 Thanks
  • 2,332 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 04:20 PM

That takes a PacMan Spline tool to adjust the carb.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item5d4bf166cd

RandysEngineRepair will have that tool But you can go to Sears and buy 1 for 4x the price if you want. :rolling:

I got a kit from Randy a couple years ago that has all 4 tools for I think around $30.If you own a newer saw or weed eater its a good idea to get a tool for it.I bought all 4 tools because I end up fixing Alot of the small engines in my neighborhood.

Even though I HATE working on those little troublesome buggers.Strange thing is if you look up the max rated hours for a newer Wead Eater or Cheap Saw they're only rated for 50 hours.Everything is throw away any more.

HINT HINT!!!

Use a Blue Crimp wire connector.Crimp 1 end onto a small screw driver and use the other end to adjust it.I did that for years before I found a good place to get the correct tools.

Edited by EricFromPa, May 08, 2014 - 04:22 PM.

#8 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 04:36 PM

That takes a PacMan Spline tool to adjust the carb.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item5d4bf166cd

RandysEngineRepair will have that tool But you can go to Sears and buy 1 for 4x the price if you want. :rolling:

I got a kit from Randy a couple years ago that has all 4 tools for I think around $30.If you own a newer saw or weed eater its a good idea to get a tool for it.I bought all 4 tools because I end up fixing Alot of the small engines in my neighborhood.

Even though I HATE working on those little troublesome buggers.Strange thing is if you look up the max rated hours for a newer Wead Eater or Cheap Saw they're only rated for 50 hours.Everything is throw away any more.

HINT HINT!!!
Use a Blue Crimp wire connector.Crimp 1 end onto a small screw driver and use the other end to adjust it.I did that for years before I found a good place to get the correct tools.

Thanks for the link to that tool, is this a cheesy tool? Like will it break? Or will it last?

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 05:15 PM

So its $44 for one tool?!? That seems like a lot to me but if its the right tool i will see if i can get my dad to pay for it since he dont pay me for getting the wood and splitting it. But i do like cutting and splitting firewood. I will give him 2 options
Option 1: pay the $44 for the correct tool
Option 2: cut a slot in the screw with the Dremel. Also known as redneck style. Lol
I think he will choose option one as he dosent like to modify things.

No I paid around $12.50 for a complete set of 5 tools but that was about 3 years ago.  I have used the Blue connector trick before but I have had some adjusting screws where that would not work.

#10 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 05:18 PM

Yeah, i talked to my dad and he dont wanna pay that much for the tool and he said that its fine to cut a slot if it saves him money, so i'll just do that and im sure it will work just fine.

• Gabriel said thank you

#11 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 08:48 AM

So i contacted HomeLite and they got back to me fairly quick. Here is what they said

"05/09/14 08:49: Zach

Due to EPA restrictions on 2-cycle engine emissions, carburetor adjustment tools are not available for distribution to the general public. Carburetor adjustments should be made by an authorized service dealer.

Your nearest current Homelite authorized service dealer can be determined from the service dealer locator at the link below for warranty service and repairs.

http://www.homelite...._center_locator

Best regards,

Tim Beasley
Homelite Consumer Products, Inc."

So they are basically saying im not allowed to tune my own ****** saw. So im just gonna go the redneck way and cut a slot with the dremel.
And honestly i would never buy anything but a stihl chainsaw, this is my dads saw and he got at home depot probably for $100 or so. And as they say, "You get what you pay for."