• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 09:49 PM

I decided to start a small garden this year. I finally have the house renovations moving along at a pace where I think I can juggle both and move us at the same time.. 

Anyways - I broke out the old Brinley Plow, it's the first time the ole gal has seen soil since I was a kid. It's also the first time i've actually plowed with it since I was a kid as well - and wow did it bring back memories... HOWEVER.... what's the proper way to set the plow for depth and angle? Also.. what's the best way to maintain traction? The HT20 seems prone to spinning the outside tire. These tires are loaded and have some very heavy weights on them (exact weight unknown but they are heavier than my factory bolens weights for the HT23). 

I have attached a few pictures - don't laugh - but please feel free to share some advice on how to set this thing up so I can put in some more plowing this week. Also - any advice on how to setup the brinley disks would be great as well... I figured I would give this a few days then go over them with the disk set. Then, i'll tackle it with my tiller. 

Thanks again,

Nick

20140507_201618.jpg

Picture of the plow model (needs cleaned up with some fresh paint.. although the wear gives it character)

20140507_201444.jpg

20140507_201627.jpg

20140507_201432.jpg     

20140507_201356.jpg

20140507_201348.jpg

I was going to ad a video - but I wasn't sure how to share it from Google+ 

Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions!

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, tinbender7 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 10:38 PM

In the 3rd photo, it looks like you have the plow set too deep on the point. I would lengthen the top link and see if the landside is level with the ground, it should be touching the bottom of the furrow front and back. If you can adjust your plow side to side you might want to make your cut narrower, this will make it pull easier maybe stopping the on land tire from spinning. A video from behind while you are plowing would help a lot.

• Alc, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 10:40 PM

It also looks like the rear tires/rims are set narrower then the front, and it may just be the angle of the photo, but both front and rear should be set at the same width.

And for what it's worth, that sod doesn't look like it's been plowed maybe ever. Your doing a good job for that kind of soil condition.

• tinbender7, boyscout862 and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#4 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 11:02 PM

Thanks! It hasn't been plowed in atleast 15 years, but prior to that the whole field was plowed up, disked, and tilled yearly. Sadly the HT was parked around 15 years ago because Pap thought the motor seals blew out. He decided to retire it as he was at the age that he could no longer handle doing a garden, and was to proud to ask for help or usually take help. 

I purchased the property this December, as Pap passed away in Sept. 2012 and Grandma is in a nursing home. I decided to dust the Bolens off and see what it needed, luckily enough - she only needed the heads cleaned and the oil drained (as Pap had over filled it on it's last change). She runs like a top, but this is the first time i'd plowed with it since I was a kid (I almost always used Dad's Cub Cadet though in the past - as it was a monster at plowing and was brand new back then). 

I figure I have it set all out of whack. I wasn't sure how to properly set the depth - but it seemed to pull it without any issues if I didn't try going to deep. Once I get my HT23 running I will probably use it, as I prefer the 2 speed rear and traction that it has compared to the HT20. 

Any suggestions on using the Brinley Disk set?

Thanks again!

• Alc, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#5 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 12:30 AM

Nice job so far, nglauer. Besides your settings of your moldboard I notice mudding on your trench side tires and almost a wet look on the ground tires. You may need to chain up your ground side rear tire until conditions get a little dryer or try a slightly less air pressure in the rear tire ( only a couple of pounds lower).

Still, a great job.

• tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 05:48 AM

If the plow is going too deep, adjust the top link out ( raises the point of the plow). If you are too shallow, adjust the top link in (lowers the point). Once the plow is in the second furrow and the tractor is riding in the first furrow, I like to get off and walk behind the tractor and look at the hitch beam. Is it setting level, left to right? If not adjust the lower lift arms to make it level. 

Thats really the main two adjustments to make, there are a few others as mentioned above. It will not take much adjusting after you get it roughly adjusted, it will only take a turn or two to get it plowing without digging. You also may just need to plow more ground to figure out what adjustments need to be made. Sometimes smal gardens like ours make learning to adjust the plow harder because you run out of garden space before you have figured out how to make all the adjustments.

Hope it helps.

On the Brinly disks, are they a single gang or doubles?

Edited by coldone, May 08, 2014 - 05:53 AM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 10:21 PM

If the plow is going too deep, adjust the top link out ( raises the point of the plow). If you are too shallow, adjust the top link in (lowers the point). Once the plow is in the second furrow and the tractor is riding in the first furrow, I like to get off and walk behind the tractor and look at the hitch beam. Is it setting level, left to right? If not adjust the lower lift arms to make it level. 

Thats really the main two adjustments to make, there are a few others as mentioned above. It will not take much adjusting after you get it roughly adjusted, it will only take a turn or two to get it plowing without digging. You also may just need to plow more ground to figure out what adjustments need to be made. Sometimes smal gardens like ours make learning to adjust the plow harder because you run out of garden space before you have figured out how to make all the adjustments.

Hope it helps.

On the Brinly disks, are they a single gang or doubles?

I played around with the plow a little today and then swapped it for the disks. They are the the four gang Tandem Disk Harrow DD-1000 (I believe they are the earliest model that Brinly made) Each gang has four 11" disks. The book claims that they weigh 185lbs before adding block. The Plow is also an early model PP-1200 12" Moldboard Plow (book says it weighs 112lbs). I also have one of the Cultivator's (CC-500 that's been converted to cat 0 3pt). I'll try to post some better pictures of the Disks - I had my son riding with me on the first few passes. I plan on going over the garden again in a few days, then using my tiller (debating on the walk behind vs the one for the HT). 

Pictures are pretty fuzzy - as my wife snapped them from the patio. I will get some better pictures when I have it out again.

Thanks,

Nick

Attached Thumbnails

• Garden 2 5.11.2014.jpg
  • Garden 5.11.2014.jpg

Edited by nglauer, May 11, 2014 - 10:22 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,332 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 10:36 PM

Discs are doing a decent job also, I would disc the ground several times before trying to plant, OR just go ahead and till it now.

Mounted tillers really make the discs less plentiful as the tiller does more than several trips with the discs and the ground is so nice when you're done.

The Plow, if you run the left hand tractor tires up on blocks about 6" thick and set the plow up so the landside is about 1" off the ground and the point is touching, that's pretty close on rough adjustment. Tweak from there.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#9 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 03:16 PM

Dad stopped by to see what I was doing today since i'm working from home - he laughed at me because he had went over and looked at the garden. He asked if I was planting tree's... apparently I had set it way to deep  :hitting_self_roller:. On the bright side... the plow shined up nicely... clear to the top lol. I ran the disks over it multiple times and it worked up the dirt nicely. I was going to put the tiller behind the HT, but i'm thinking i'll fire up the old Craftsman walk behind. It'll fit between the rows and it needs the cob webs blown out of it anyways. 

I will post more pictures once I get a chance. 

Thanks,

Nick

• MH81 said thank you