• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OhioTractor OFFLINE  

OhioTractor
  • Member No: 56868
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 09:11 PM

I finally found a new engine for my GTV16 and got her going. Now it's a GTV16 with an 18 hp cast iron Briggs. I mowed the lawn and absolutely love this thing but the belt from the vari-drive pulley to the transmission frayed and was stuck in the pulley. I got it all apart and in the pulley there seems to be a flat spring. It looks a bit damaged from the old belt, but the pulley still slides with finger pressure. A friend told me there should not be anything in there and the pulley should slide freely back and fourth. Right now it will slide to one side with pressure then return to the other when released. What is correct? I plan to reassemble and do not want to tear down again. Thank you

#2 OhioTractor OFFLINE  

OhioTractor
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 03:20 AM

unnamed13_zpsa99f65bf.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 04:41 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum. I have an '81 GTV/16. Here's the manual for one. I don't remember there being a spring down in there. But it's been awhile since I had it apart.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 08:42 AM

Welcome to GTT. Relax and enjoy the site. Please post some pics of the entire tractor. Good Luck, Rick

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 09:15 AM

No expert here, But if it is variable speed, Sure the pulley moves! That is how you get diff speeds, by changing diameter of the pulley. Would need a spring in it to push to one side when stationary. Not sure if there should be a sleeve over the spring, would have to check a parts book for that. Wouldn't think belt would go down in and touch spring? Too far down?  But, is there another pulley at opposite end of belt run that does same? or takes up slack at least when it is changing speeds? Issues with that end maybe?  Most systems have two variable pulleys so when one goes small, other gets bigger and Vice-versa for the changes. I could be off here, maybe GT's are all diff than other items I've seen with this kind of system.

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 09:43 AM

No expert here, But if it is variable speed, Sure the pulley moves! That is how you get diff speeds, by changing diameter of the pulley. Would need a spring in it to push to one side when stationary. Not sure if there should be a sleeve over the spring, would have to check a parts book for that. Wouldn't think belt would go down in and touch spring? Too far down?  But, is there another pulley at opposite end of belt run that does same? or takes up slack at least when it is changing speeds? Issues with that end maybe?  Most systems have two variable pulleys so when one goes small, other gets bigger and Vice-versa for the changes. I could be off here, maybe GT's are all diff than other items I've seen with this kind of system.

I agree it should have a spring, But not in the bottom of the pulley. There is no parts breakdown of that pulley set up. Those take a bit to get out. I don't think I took mine apart when I had it all down. It's been a while!

#7 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 09:48 AM

Welcome.

I maybe going to a rtactor junk yard that a guy I knew used to have a variable speed there he was parting out. I can check to see if that pulley is still there.

• OhioTractor said thank you

#8 OhioTractor OFFLINE  

OhioTractor
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 08:01 PM

Yes, that is a spring in there. I got it all together and it is fine now. The worn belt was the culprit. Just helped a neighbor mow a field. I'll get a pic of the entire thing after I clean it

• KennyP said thank you