#1 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • Member No: 28750
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 08:58 PM

I saw this for sale near me on CL the other day,

http://southjersey.c...4445158069.html

I've been looking for a good tractor just for pulling a leaf rake and trailer around the yard. I've got a few newer AC and Simplicity machines but how do the older models compare? Could I rig this with a set of ag tires and a 10" Brinly plow or would it be too light to handle the task?

I talked the seller and he said its got good compression, but no spark, I'd probably just hang a 12V coil and rig up a battery ignition and run it that way.

Is there anything I should be aware of with these older models?

(I'm really not sure how much I'd like the lack or running boards since I've gotten so used to the 3410 and AC416 I have here).

00909_5GvYc0NXjp7_600x450.jpg

Edited by oldiron, May 07, 2014 - 09:02 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 09:54 PM

Comparing that oldie to your new machines will probably make you want to sell your new machines if you are anything like me. 

Fluid filled ags would pull a small plow without a problem as long as the soil wasn't rock hard or made of clay.

As far as spark goes, new condenser and polished points will fix that.   I have both of those parts in stock.   I would not bother with battery ignition.  You'd have to do other changes to make that work, anyway. 

Check the carburetor.  The main jet on those things strip very easy and afterwards it can leak like a sieve. 

Ben W.

#3 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 12:23 AM

We owned a B1 when they first came out and pulled a 10" mold board plow in heavy Louisiana soil with the narrow turf tires. The tractor is light and quick which makes it a delight to operate. Some of the things we did with it defied logic. Wish I could get my hands on one today.

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 08:40 AM

Its the same as the Simplicity 725 and they are amazing at how much they can do. My son at 6' 3" finds our 725 alittle annoying with the plow because the rod for changing the angle hits his leg. Other than that, He has no problem. Good Luck, Rick

#5 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 10:32 AM

The 700/725/B-1 platform is one of my favorites to drive.  They have a nimble feel.  They pull a plow great...the narrow tires work much better for traction and for fititng within a furrow than larger tires with a 10" plow.  They offered a 10" with this tractor for a reason...it pulls it well!  :thumbs:

I think you would be pleasantly suprised by it's ability to use ground engaging attachments.  They have a neat feel, and are a popular collector model should you choose to pass it on.  All that being said, I think he's asking quite a bit too much for it.  $100-200 would be a fair price, considering it's been sitting, doesn't run, includes nothing, and has lost it's orginal finish.  Losing the coil on these model 19 Briggs is common, and a conversion would be the best bet if that's the case.

#6 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 01:17 PM

My concern is it not having running boards and that its looks so much shorter than my newer tractors.
The guy who has it bought it from an estate sale or auction, its pretty much rust free and the motor has strong compression. Price wise I suppose I can get it a bit cheaper but compared to other older tractors I've seen the price don't seem too bad to me compared to other tractors I've seen.

The same seller has a B110 that's a bit rougher but running for $550, but its not near as well kept looking up close.
The B110 runs and has a deck but the deck won't engage for some reason. It also has miss matched tires. I figured that the B1 better suited my needs for less money.
Will a newer, larger motor fit the B1? I've got a good running 14hp Briggs that needs a home.

#7 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 03:00 PM

Go for the b1, you will not be disappointed.  check what model the engine is, some of the older ones like that had either a 19d or 23d engine in them which are very hard or near impossible to get parts for but if it seems tight you are good.  I have a b-10 here and love it, all the power I need

#8 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 03:02 PM

I think the prices on both tractors are high...and I shop the East Coast specifically because tractors I like (Simplicity & Allis) are cheaper out there than closer to the MotherLand in WI.  Seems the further east or west of WI you go, tractors get cheaper, with the coasts being cheapest.  It takes patience, like anywhere, but they are tough to get a 'deal' on in the midwest.  Those are "I don't want to sell" prices, even here.

I actually have 4 tractors and 6 attachments being picked up in eastern NY tomorrow, by a fella from Uship.  Gave just over $500 for the whole package, and they are gems.  And an Ebay buy, no less. 

I like the footdraggers better than running board tractors.  I like the open view around the machine, and my feet are never looking for a running board.  For plowing, cultivating, etc, they are more user friendly because they are slightly more comact and you can see so much better where your tires meet the soil.  On the runningboard tractors I feel like my knees are up in the air...like I cannot get comfy.  Those tractors got better with the intro of the 7100 series...they lengthened 1.5".  My least personal favorite are 3300, 3400, 7000 series tractors.

A larger engine will fit...the bolt pattern works and the driveshaft should line up.  You may need to trim the hood for a 14horse though.  Not sure if that S/G will clear.

Edited by Talntedmrgreen, May 08, 2014 - 03:03 PM.

#9 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 03:16 PM

:iagree:  Mrgreen  is exactly correct on all accounts, the prices are very high for this area probably two times what they should be.  I would be patient and look around, you  will find a good deal.  If you are worried about running boards there is nothing to stop you from making a set and bolting them to the tractor, might even look good if you do it rite. 

Pete

Edited by petrj6, May 08, 2014 - 03:16 PM.

#10 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 07:55 PM

There's a 7116 in green for sale for $2499, a few vertical shaft models and later 90's models for sale in the $400-500 range, and a super clean B10 for $1500.

I'm not sure if the B1 is still there, the last I talked to the guy he seemed to think it may have been sold.

I'm regretting selling my spare 3410, a neighbor had a guy doing landscaping who saw it just sitting behind the garage. He asked about it one day, a week later he showed up with cash. When he flashed $600 I let it go. It had no deck, no hitch, no lift, and I hadn't run it in a year. I had bought it for $350 as a parts machine that ran about 6 years before that along with my other 3410.

There's a 7119H listed on CL up in north Jersey for $500 but its a long drive from here. The B1 is only a few miles away. Even if I found a good deal up in NY, it would mean at least two tanks of gas to go get it, most likely eating up any savings going out of my area. I'm closer to DE than NY.

Right now its a toss up between the B1, a non running 7117H with a stuck motor for $800, and a Wheel Horse B80 -8 spd. with no motor for $300. I prefer to stick with an AC or Simplicity because I'm a bit more familiar with them.

The B1 has a Model 19 engine, the coil is under the shroud, or under the flywheel.

My guess is the coil died from age, not use. The tractor don't look like its got a lot of wear on it.

#11 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 558 Thanks
  • 542 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 08:41 PM

I have found the Simplicity/Allis tractors one of the least expensive to outfit for rear ground engaging work.  Other brands can get quite expensive to add the rear lift hitch ect.  The B series lends itself well to repowers, I have seen the Yanmar air cooled diesel clones installed with no modifications to the actual tractor.  Yes some of the earlier briggs engines can be a bit more difficult to find parts for, but thats what ebay and these forums are good for.  Keep it simple and keep it!   Good luck in your hunt.   Mike

#12 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 08:07 AM

All that being said, I think he's asking quite a bit too much for it.  $100-200 would be a fair price, considering it's been sitting, doesn't run, includes nothing, and has lost it's orginal finish. 

...and I shop the East Coast specifically because tractors I like (Simplicity & Allis) are cheaper out there than closer to the MotherLand in WI.  Seems the further east or west of WI you go, tractors get cheaper, with the coasts being cheapest. 

I agree that it might only be worth $100-$200 but in my little area of price watching, that would be listed even higher than it is.  I literally don't think I've ever seen a '60s Simplicity or Allis listed below $200.  Even ones that were only good for scrap.  Now I realize they'll never get the advertised price but here are some very typical local prices:

http://york.craigsli...4419730406.html

http://york.craigsli...4388054997.html

http://york.craigsli...4393887280.html

http://baltimore.cra...4444932084.html

http://york.craigsli...4404811073.html

http://york.craigsli...4403576774.html

http://lancaster.cra...4452069139.html

http://baltimore.cra...4446812862.html

http://harrisburg.cr...4400390164.html

They even ask over $200 for a small frame that need put back together:

http://baltimore.cra...4446807204.html

Those were all found just looking from the York, PA CL and there were several that I didn't post.  I must say I didn't realize how many '60s Simplicitys were currently for sale around here.  Reminds me that I'm lucky to be in this area when it comes to this hobby. 

This one's in the price range and aroused my curiousity:

http://reading.craig...4461289103.html

Edited by Canawler, May 09, 2014 - 08:10 AM.

• Talntedmrgreen said thank you

#13 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 08:40 AM

Wow...that Squire 10 is fabulous! 

High prices can be found everywhere...the reasonbly priced ones, and especially those that are a bargain, don't linger on CL like the ones listed above.  For someone shopping, you need to be watching.  Otherwise, spending more then necessary is always an option   :smilewink:

#14 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 06:30 PM

I've more or less been looking for something larger but spotted the B1 since it was close. I've looked at dozens of machines but most were either total wrecks or had so many issues they weren't worth fixing.

I looked at a 7117H which had its 17hp Kohler replaced with a Honda clone that had no electric start. That would have been liveable if they hadn't welded the hood and fender pan closed. Another had a boat tank strapped the hood, and one had a steel paint thinner can rigged as a fuel tank, using a PVC plug as a fuel cap.

All were under $400, but all were parts machines at best. I don't mind if a tractor needs a motor but I don't care to deal with jury rigs and welded shut hoods, or miss matched wheels, or worse yet, The best one was a 3415 which had two 12" trailer rims welded together with a pair of bald ag tires mounted on the welded pairs of rims. To top it all off the rims were four lug, then welded onto the tractor hubs. The guy was asking $600 with no motor.

The B1 is repainted but who ever painted it appears to have taken some care in making it all match, the machine in general is complete minus a deck.

This area is big on Cub Cadet and John Deere, with Wheel Horse running a close third in popularity, AC and Simplicity are few and far between. When ever an AC/Simp. turns up they command a steeper price.

I'm going to look at a 7116 in the morning but unless its super clean, I'd rather have a gear machine. There's also a few 310/312 models for sale about a hour from me, but I'm not sure what shape they're in and they're asking $500 each, or $800 for the pair. The seller said he pulled the motors for use in other tractors after he got tired of dealing with the variable drive set up. To me that don't sound too promising unless I can figure an easy way to toss the variable set up and run one as a straight three speed.

The B1 is looking better and better, if I don't find something newer I'll probably pick up the B1.

#15 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 08:01 PM

A b1 would pull a lot more than $100-200 down here. I can safely state that there are no Simplicities or AC's on Craig'slist in Louisiana today m