6 replies to this topic

#1 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 08:44 PM

Can anyone hear tell me if a dimmer switch for lights in a house can be used in a vehicle that uses a 12v system. I know that the switch is made for AC current so I'm not sure if DC will effect it in any way. I'm asking because the wiper switch on my truck doesn't work and I don't fell like digging through the harness to find the problem. If the switch would work  it would give me a cheap solution to hopefully have variable speed wipers. I'm sort of thinking this won't work though and instead I'd need to use resistors to set different speeds.

Thanks in advance

• Sawdust said thank you

#2 Genem OFFLINE  

Genem
  • Member No: 52933
  • 65 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 08:55 PM

the current (amps) required to run your wiper motor is much higher than what is in the dimmer switch. i think you will find out that the windings in the dimmer switch will burn out very quickly.
  • farmerall said thank you

#3 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 08:57 PM

Not even close to being that simple anymore . Trip points ( electrical ) controlled by timers . You are better off looking for corroded or loose connectors on the wiper assembly  . Or just fusing to begin with . Good luck .

#4 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 09:02 PM

Thanks. I didn't think it would be that simple. The truck is just a beater and I think the problem is located somewhere within the harness itself. I had an almost identical problem with my other truck that is the same make as this one.

• Sparky said thank you

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 10:38 PM

Not sure what you have for a truck, but one common problem that I have come across is that certain makes would use an inferior grounding strap to the wiper motor and it would corrode off.The reason for the strap was because they would mount the motor with rubber isolation pads (to eliminate vibration)  So just adding your own ground could possibly fix it.

If you haven't tried it, try putting a jumper from the wiper housing to a good ground. Hopefully it is that easy. Other that that, wipers can be a pain!

Good luck :thumbs:

#6 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,867 Thanks
  • 2,789 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 06:12 AM

SOME TRUCKS LIKE MY 90S CHEVY HAD A PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARD THAT CONTROLED THE WIPERS PLUG AND PLAY

#7 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 09:58 AM

SOME TRUCKS LIKE MY 90S CHEVY HAD A PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARD THAT CONTROLED THE WIPERS PLUG AND PLAY

I was gonna suggest similar. The connections break lose on the printed board, GM had major issues early to mid 90's across the board with that. All the full size trucks and the astro/safari vans too!