14 replies to this topic

#1 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,642 Thanks
  • 1,734 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 06:28 PM

If the title is giving you flashbacks....   Then you are thinking about the wrong  "rooms".

Last year I couldn't find any morels.  

Went to my woods after work today. waasn't expecting much since it has been so dry.  i found 32 mushrooms. Took about an hour and a half.  I loved every second of it.   I was surprised to find what I did.  The weather went from cold and dry to hot and dry.  We need a good rain in the next few days and hopefully. some more will pop.   Unknown to me my stepson went out there this morning. He found 17 small ones that he brought to his mother. She had them soaking when i got home.

Gotta go fry some "rooms" for supper.   Rick      (Check todays date on the newspaper,   Have to do that or the guys at work won't believe it)

Attached Thumbnails

• 019.JPG
  • 025.JPG
  • 026.JPG
  • 024.JPG
  • 023.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse, GTTinkerer, hamman and 6 others have said thanks

#2 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 06:37 PM

We had our first "mess" in three years today at noon!  I found about a quart Monday, but we were gone yesterday.  Fried them in bacon grease, coated with egg & cracker crumbs, two 10" skillets full.  Not as big of a deal for us as some, but nice to have something different for a change.

W'll need more rain to see more of them this spring!  ~~  Lowell

• hamman, Delmar and CRFarnsworth have said thanks

#3 DennyIN OFFLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 290 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 06:56 PM

You had to go and show us the pictures didn't you!  :thumbs: Been a couple of years since I have had any, should be out looking but too much grass to cut and mowers to service :wallbanging: . Hoping you enjoy them, I have even made sandwiches with them (wheat bread, lots of butter, and mushrooms. 

• hamman and CRFarnsworth have said thanks

#4 drbish OFFLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,161 Thanks
  • 1,162 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 07:07 PM

I am from Indiana and have not heard of any one knowing anything about Morels around here in North Carolina.I do miss having them alot.

I did go fishing in West Virginia about this time 3 years ago and walked upon a patch accidently.No one new any thing about them until then and they were cooked and ate by all, they now go looking for them.   

• CRFarnsworth said thank you

#5 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • 3,642 Thanks
  • 1,734 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 07:11 PM

You had to go and show us the pictures didn't you!  :thumbs:

If you liked those pictures try these.  Fried potatoes, mushrooms and steak off the grill.   I love my wife!  Rick 

Attached Thumbnails

• 027.JPG
  • 028.JPG
  • 029.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse, Jack and superaben have said thanks

#6 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • 3,642 Thanks
  • 1,734 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 07:15 PM

I am from Indiana and have not heard of any one knowing anything about Morels around here in North Carolina.I do miss having them alot.

I did go fishing in West Virginia about this time 3 years ago and walked upon a patch accidently.No one new any thing about them until then and they were cooked and ate by all, they now go looking for them.   

We were in Ashville about three weeks ago.  I did a little mushroom hunting while there.  I think it was too early.  No one seemed to care about them anyway.    Rick 

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 07:38 PM

I haven't ate one of these since I was a kid. My grandfather picked them religiously every year. I miss it. I need to go looking
  • hamman said thank you

#8 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 07:42 PM

Wife and I went out last even ing and only found 7. Usually this time of year we have enough for a few messes. Going out tomorrow evening. Warmer last night and today. Supposed to rain more today and a little tonight. Warmer in the 70s tomorrow.    I can hear em poppin up now. Looks like a good bunch for some great steaks or burgers CRFarnsworth. Thanks for sharing. Good luck finding more.                                                                                     Roger.

#9 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 08:05 PM

We got about an inch and a half of snow on May 1st so spring is coming in slowly.  Going to start looking this weekend since it is going to be in the high 60s.  When I was a kid my Mom would string them up with some thread and hang them above the wood cookstove to let them dry, crush them up and put them in a salt shaker with enlarged holes and sprinkle them on eggs, steak or what ever she was cooking and it had the same great taste.

• hamman, CRFarnsworth, Cat385B and 1 other said thanks

#10 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 08:31 PM

Don ,We used to find them over in the mountains of Western N.C. where we used to live. I grew up in West Central Indiana and I don't remember a time when we didn't hunt and eat them. My Brother has been finding up there for over a week. 

• hamman said thank you

#11 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 08:48 PM

Fried up a mess of morels for my wife and her sister yesterday...3 skillets full.  Lost count of how many ticks I picked off of me while I was looking for them.....

• hamman said thank you

#12 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 11:20 AM

All I can say is that I never had them but they must be mighty good.  I just searched craigslist and people are asking $35-$40 per pound.  Other ads said $65-$80 per gallon. I am willing to bet it's the same people that run firewood ads all winter.  Just sayin'. :rolling:

• hamman said thank you

#13 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 09:42 AM

I know robert_p43 that here in michigan they are getting $ 45 to $ 50 a pound. ( by the way that's dried weight) We have resort close by here that will buy all they can get from people. The wife and I went out yesterday and in a hour or so got about 50 of them. Not a huge haul but enough for me. We will go back out on Monday to see if we can find more. they are actually having a Musroom festival here today. So many cars from Ohio and Indiana here. Big business for the motels and stores. Here is a picture of what we got yesterday.                                           Roger.

DSCF7120.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse, CRFarnsworth and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#14 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 04:19 PM

That's a nice looking mess right there!! :thumbs: :D Just enough for a good egg and sroom breakfast, man I am really hungry for mushrooms now..

• hamman said thank you

#15 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • 3,642 Thanks
  • 1,734 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 06:02 PM

Took a shower first thing  this morning.

For Mothers Day I took the wife out for brerakfast. And then took her mushroom hunting.   We found about 18 more right in the same spots we picked clean two days before.  We took that batch to some freinds unable to go after their own,  Her jaw hit the ground, smiled from ear to ear, and promised us a butter pecan cake. 

Took another shower as soon as we got home.

Took some freinds from Texas out to the woods to dig some sassafras roots.  While we were there we helped them find about a dozen more mushrooms.  We are now going to get a rhubarb crisp sent over to us.

Took another shower as soon as we got home.

Wife says I'm doing the laundry!      :D       Rick

Attached Thumbnails

• 006.JPG
  • 009.JPG
  • 007.JPG

Edited by CRFarnsworth, May 11, 2014 - 07:12 PM.