Electric Fence ? For A Small Garden

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jack OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9304
  • 1,124 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 03:55 PM

Hey Guys, I just put a small garden in today and I am thinking I need an electric fence to keep the critters out.   Squirrels are the main culprits.   Anyone know a way to do it for cheap?  I only need to protect an area about 8 X 16 feet.  And I would really like to zap them good so once does the job.  I don't have to worry about any kids or pets getting around it it.  Thanks for any ideas you might have to offer. 

Edited by Jack, May 08, 2014 - 09:56 PM.

#2 petrj6 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,700 Thanks
  • 2,158 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 06:03 PM

I don't really think an electric fence would work for small animals, they only really work for larger animals that area little more predictable.  squirrels will just jump over the line or go around it.  Why would squirrels bother the garden?  if you are worried about rabbits and larger critters a good fence will be enough unless you have deer getting in then you will need a tall fence at least 6' tall. 

If you have allot of trouble you may just need a .22 and some patience.

• Jack said thank you

#3 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 08:29 PM

Maybe a three foot chicken wire fence with a single strand of electric fence about an inch and a half above the chicken wire.  Those little tree rats can figure out a way to get over, under or around just about anything though.

• Jack said thank you

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,641 Thanks
  • 28,301 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 09:49 PM

Pulse fencers are one thing, they won't kill and are unpleasant. As long as its not electricity, neighbor did that and hurt another neighbors' dog.
Bills method of making them get zapped sounds good, kinda forces them into it.
  • Jack said thank you

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 6,332 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 10:47 PM

Jack, I have used a pulse electric fence around my suburban garden for the last two years.  It is not inexpensive.  The control unit, the wire or string/wire and posts all add up.  I think I'm in at about $200.00.  I also got good little signs, a current tester and a few little items you really don't need.

I use the plastic stakes.  I wire the bottom three strands all over, and leave an opening to step over, and wire the rest up to the fifth level.

Mine repels the squirrels, rabbits and ground hogs.  Deer don't get in my yard, and this fence wouldn't stop them anyways.

Good luck with yours.  Look for a used controller if possible, to help control your  cost.  I bought new at TSC and it was around half my total cost.

• Alc and Jack have said thanks

#6 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

• Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 11:36 PM

I have yet been able to stop the tree rats from getting into my garden, they find a way no matter what I do.  They do not do near the damage as the (&% field rats... I wish they would declare open season on them.....grrrrrr

Good luck with the rats.  I've been told some dogs will chase them/keep them up the trees.

• Jack said thank you

#7 Jack OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9304
  • 1,124 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 09:55 PM

Well guys thanks for responding.  I think I found something that might work.  And it was super cheap too.  What I am doing is a container garden.  It is basically a bunch of plastic tubs with a perforated bottoms filled with garden soil.  They are raised up sitting on a couple pallets.  It is not very large.  What I found today was this contraption that uses a motion detector to control a sprinkler that shoots a burst of water.  It is very adjustable to the spray pattern and the sensitivity.  And the best part was it was in the clearance stuff at Wal-Mart.  Regular price was nearly 50 bucks but it was marked down to just 15 bucks.  I just set it up and it looks like it would work perfect.  I guess time will tell.  Thanks, Jack..

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,414 Thanks
  • 4,879 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 08:41 AM

Jack, if ya want to still try the electric fence, I have a small pulse system that is currently not in use. I probably have plenty of wire too for your small space. You are more than welcome to come borrow it for the summer and see if it works for you.

You can run a hot strand a few inches above the ground, then a ground wire, then another hot, all about 3-4"  apart. It will only take one or two zaps and those squirrels will leave it alone and stay away. I used it for my dogs digging under the fence :thumbs:

Bad part about using chicken wire, you have to mount it up above the ground and keep any grass/weeds off of it, they will short it out.

My neighbors use 1 strand around their garden, it's about knee high. just enough to keep all the deer out.