#1 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 11:50 AM

So I will be needing to run a new supply for my HF HB151 mig/flux welder when I move to the new house. The current line I have is a 50 amp breaker and # 6 wire, little over kill I think when I now look at specs sheet for welder.

So looking at pics below, what do you all think? I will propably be running approx 30 feet to the plug, then I have a really heavy duty ext cord ( #8 I think) I can run to welder.

#8 wire and a 30 amp breaker?

Since I have to run a new dryer line as I'm moving dryer to garage mud room, I am also thinking of using dryer plug as junction and also use that circuit for welder ( I know, probably not legal) as welder plug will only be about 10 feet from dryer plug. I know I won't be using both at the same time and the dryer is normally a #10 and 30 amp, I can always up the wire a little to accomodate for welder and length of wire.

Here are specs, looks like 21 amps peak at 230V and it says to use #8 if between 30-50 feet.

welder specs.jpg

mig 151 wire.jpg

#2 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 12:21 PM

What's wrong with overkill? It won't cost a thing to leave it as is. If you tear out the #6 wire, how much do you think you'll get for it?

• Bill 76 said thank you

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 12:51 PM

Keep it all legal. Do not give your insurance company any excuse to revoke your policy. Good Luck, Rick

• petrj6 said thank you

#4 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 02:05 PM

Not legal or advisable, never more than one 220 on a line, and never with an extension cord. It isnt expensive to do it right, but it can be to do it wrong.

#5 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 02:34 PM

I would leave the #6 ya got and run it to a load center then branch it off from there.One for the dryer and one for your welder.
If your worried about it run another line for your welder but leave the #6 in for the dryer just fuse it for 30 amps.
nothing wrong with having a larger wire then needed.
Heck the #6 is already in won't cost you anything to leave it where it is.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#6 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 02:58 PM

I'm always a fan of larger when it comes to house hold wiring for welders, air compressors ect that run on 220v.

I am running 2/0w flat for my dryer, stove, welder, air compressor, and water heater.

Way over kill BUT

I got the cable for free.  At the coal mine we use 2/0W for our shuttle cars.  850'  they change the cables out at least twice a month.  The first 200 feet of the cable rarely ever leaves the cable reel.  So I went up and snagged 200 feet of it, and took it home! 

I always have a large supply of cable that I can grab.

• olcowhand and Sawdust have said thanks

#7 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 03:20 PM

Ok, I guess I will run a separate line.

sounds like I confused you all a little.

The  #6 and 50 amp breaker is in my current house. It will be removed before I move anyway, I know it's not to code and I will keep the wire, maybe enough to run new circuit in new house.

The new line I am asking about will be in my mom's house/ the house I am moving into. I have to move laundry uptairs so I have to run a new line for it and I will have to run a new line if I want to use the welder.

Here's my rub..... I can use existing dryer circuit in the panel, I will just disconnect current plug/wires, run all new upstairs in new laundry room......

buuutttt I do not have open slots to add a new breaker for the welder. Dad already added a sub panel for the addition he built yeas ago, it is already full also. Only option I see is to remove the current sub and add a larger one. I may have to do this anyway as we will be adding a water softener, the size I need maybe need 220V so I will need upgrade for that.

My best freind's son is an electrician, may have to call in a favor! :thumbs:

Thanks for input

#8 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,224 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 03:27 PM

By what I am reading you are not moving your existing power supply you are putting a new supply in your new house? correct?  Is so I would definitely keep it legal, if you ever have an issue the insurance company will give you trouble if it is not legal.  I am not an electrician but I do have a good friend who is one, I can ask him if you want, but most states are different.

Have fun and keep it legal

Pete

• TAHOE said thank you

#9 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,291 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 05:45 PM

# 10 wire would handle it,, # 8 would be more desirable, so what you have is slight overkill but won't hurt anything, It's unlikely that you would run the welder at 100% which is 230 volt and 20 Amps. The #10 wire would handle easily. #10 will handle a 30 Amp load on a short wire run like this.
  • TAHOE and Sawdust have said thanks

#10 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 08:06 AM

By what I am reading you are not moving your existing power supply you are putting a new supply in your new house? correct? 

Yep, I was asking about running all new supply in the new house. My wire run will be about 30-35' to the outlet depending on where I put it in garage.

Wierd part is the current cord on my welder is only #12, maybe #10, but IMO small for what I would think on a welder. I guess max specs is 21 amps so I guess #12 would actually carry that in short bursts.

#11 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 09:51 AM

Rated Ampacity Wire Gauge

• 10 Amps 18 Gauge
  • 13 Amps 16 Gauge
  • 15 Amps 14 Gauge
  • 20 Amps 12 Gauge
  • 30 Amps 10 Gauge
  • 45 Amps 8 Gauge
  • 60 Amps 6 Gauge
  • 80 Amps 4 Gauge
  • 100 Amps 2 Gauge
  • 150 Amps 1/0 Gauge
  • 200 Amps 2/0 Gauge

For what wire cost these days I'd go 10 Gauge.  What is the duty cycle on your welder? 20%?  You are never going to be welding for hours and hours heating up the cable over and over again.  If you really wanted to step it up go 8 for your piece of mind. 

Edit

But since I looked at the prices you are running 30 feet.  125 feet for 96 bucks of 8-2 indoor rated cable(40 amps)  that would be a good deal and have extra if you needed to replace another 220 circuit in the future.

10 Gauge

http://www.lowes.com...wire&facetInfo=

or

8 Gauge

http://www.lowes.com...+wire=

Edited by toomanytoys84, May 07, 2014 - 10:05 AM.

• TAHOE said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mig, welder, wire, electric