• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jcwilde1 OFFLINE  

Jcwilde1
  • Member No: 49116
  • 40 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 08:22 AM

I was looking for a mower that could also handle a snow plow to replace my Sears ST 16. I need something to mow about 1 acre and I have a lot of slopes and trees to go around.

In my ventures I was looking at a Cub Cadet 100, but while I was looking at that the same person also had a LGT 145. I am not sure of the year. 

It comes with a deck and the mower starts right up, no smoking. It has a rough shaking when it is cold but smooths out once it is warmed up. The hydraulics work fr the deck and the tires are in good shape. I have never driven a hydrostat mower before and that seemed nice. The owner also said I need to add some hydraulic fluid into the rear axle area a  couple times a year (looks like it may be leaking).

Is there anything I should really be concerned about with this type of tractor?  I was going for a Cadet 100 because they are much simpler for me to work on, but at the same time this one appears to be in better shape and is $400.

Attached Thumbnails

• 00u0u_OuMS2wzxW1_600x450.jpg

• hamman, boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 08:38 AM

That is a nice tractor. There are several happy owners of those on here. That looks in good shape and since it runs and operates the price is not too high. Parts are mostly still available. The shaking may mean that a motor mount will need to be replaced. Good Luck, Rick

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,395 Thanks
  • 39,658 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 08:42 AM

That's a 1977 to '83 tractor. I have the 165 version. Nice tractors. These do have rubber mounts for the motor, so they may need replaced. Can be found in several places.

#4 case1man OFFLINE  

case1man
  • Member No: 40153
  • 101 Thanks
  • 106 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 08:47 AM

Jacobson made these for Ford from 1977-1983. I have a 165 lgt closed side like that one I love. It gives a very nice cut easy to work on and besides normal maintance has giving me no trouble. The only big issues I ever had with the Fords was the steering sector. Around here the price is about average.

#5 AlleyKatz51 OFFLINE  

AlleyKatz51
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 55758
  • 41 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 09:16 AM

Nice looking tractor. Mine is a lgt 125 and has been a trooper for many years. It mows 1.5 acres once or twice a week. The leak in the hydro needs to be fixed but just keep the oil level up properly until you get to it. My tractor shakes when cold and my mounts are good. Mine doesn't have the syncro-balancer in the Kohler and that makes them a little shakey at low rpm and when cold. No syncro-balancer is a good thing. If you buy it give it a good servicing and tighten everything. Remove the plastic cover between the seat and dash and blow out/wash out the crap on the transmission. Hydro is air cooled but clippings and dirt clog the cooling fins. If the deck is sound and it runs well you should do well.

Chuck

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#6 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 09:43 AM

I'd be all over that one, they are great tractor's I have two 165's and really like them, good luck on your gt hunting

#7 Jcwilde1 OFFLINE  

Jcwilde1
  • Member No: 49116
  • 40 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 09:53 AM

Great thanks for all the information! It does sound like a much better tractor for the money than the smaller cadets and rear engine ones I have been looking it. Just not 100% it is small enough to go around the yard -- but for the big open areas it would be great! 

I have the serial, how do I tell what year it is?

#8 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 12:12 PM

Ive been collecting the old Fords for about a while now.. have 4, never paid more than $300 for one yet, at $400 it has to be ready-to-run and in above average condition, everything working? good paint? good seat? Good belts? any other attachments than just the mower?

Old Ford GTs are fairly common but a Cub 100 isnt.. I might tend to look at it a little closer, even if it needs a little tlc in the end they are worth a bit more.

#9 TomLGT195 ONLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,797 Thanks
  • 2,196 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 05:36 PM

thats not a bad price, right at the top of what I'd pay. if he throws in the trailer jump on it. based on the ags on the rear and the bar behind the seat ( for weights) he might have used it to pull things around the farm through some sticky situations? I recommend cleaning the hydro unit under the dash plastic too, they tend to get clogged. a good service and its a very good tractor you will like the foot operated hydro pedals, very handy!

good luck Tom

post some pics if you purchase

• tinbender7 said thank you

#10 AlleyKatz51 OFFLINE  

AlleyKatz51
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 55758
  • 41 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 07:15 PM

Yup, if you been mowing with a stick shift you'll save 25% of your time not having to shift. The foot controls for the hydro let you change directions really quick. You'll like it.

Chuck 

#11 FilledTires OFFLINE  

FilledTires
  • Member No: 48125
  • 224 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 09:02 PM

That's a nice tractor. I would buy it if I were you! If you don't like it I will buy it off of you for $500!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lgt 145, ford 145