#1 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 06:46 AM

I have had my Troy-Bilt Horse for 6 years or so. Ever since I've had it, it has leaked gear oil from around the axle shafts. Last fall, it was really bad, to the point where I had to put a pan under it to keep from making a huge puddle on the shed floor. Well, I finally ordered and replaced those seals, and from what I saw, they were the originals from 1974. Once I drove the roll pins out that held the wheels on the shaft, they were amazingly easy to replace. I used the Stens seals.... not the cheapest, and not the most expensive seals, either. Less than $10 fix. We'll see how they hold up.

OBTW...... I LOVE that old Horse!!! Probably my next-most-favorite piece of equipment, just behing my IH Cub 123 that has a #1 tiller behind it. The only tiller I would like better might be a BCS, if I had one. If money were no object, I'd have one of those, too!

• Alc, boyscout862 and GlenPettit have said thanks

#2 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 924 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 06:56 AM

you have a good Troy-Bilt tiller the new ones are made cheap.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 07:19 AM

You cant beat those old horses!

We have one here from the 80's and is still going strong to this day.

Still alot of people using them as I've been selling the drive belts for these like crazy this past month! :D

#4 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 09:02 AM

I have a '76, replaced the seals 2 years ago also. My dad bought this one new, I inherited it. I have to say, it's been the best piece of equipment he or I have ever bought, a major workhorse. He had to replace a rod due to running oil in '92, but new rod, piston and rings and she is still running although getting a little tired. People rip on Tecumsehs, but we put her away wet in the summer with gas in it, and it fired first couple pulls every spring. I sometimes use it during the winter to push snow wih the dozer blade.

Better grab up a reverse disc if you can find one, they are no longer produced.

• nra1ifer said thank you

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 09:32 AM

Better grab up a reverse disc if you can find one, they are no longer produced.

I can still get them from Troy-Bilt

Looks like they sell them as a kit with a bracket and some hardware.

• TAHOE said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 09:55 AM

I came across a Troy Bilt jr tiller at a yard sale a couple of years back. It's the smallest one they made. I had never used a rear tine before and have been amazed at how much easier they are to use. Someone listed a really nice looking Horse for sale the other day for 200$. It sold fast!

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 10:04 AM

In my mind the Horse was the best built tiller of its time and still is to this day. Nothing can compare to the quality of them.

I have the little 90's Tuffy for weeding but that thing will take you for a ride!

#8 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 979 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 04:17 PM

I have an '84 Horse I had to repower w/ the HF Greyhound engine. I put all new seals in about 4 yrs ago. It only gets used in the fall as I mulch the garden thru the summer. After the garden gets froze out I put a couple if inches of cow manure on the mulch and till it all in full depth w/ the horse. I use the mantis to prepare shallow seed beds in the spring so I don't disturb the nitecrawlers and microorganisms twice a yr.

Mike

#9 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 07:09 AM

Thank you for all of the replies. I replaced the reverse disc shortly after I bought the tiller. I don't remember where I got it but I'll look around. Might order a couple of them and store them away.

I used the tiller yesterday evening to till up a strip for a friend who wanted to plant some roses for his wife for Mother's Day. It did a great job...... took my time chopping through bermuda/weedy sod, inching down little by little until I got it tilled as deep as the tiller would go.

My Horse was repowered just before I bought it. Has a 6HP Tecumseh on it and, like mentioned earlier, it always starts and runs like a top. Wouldn't you know it? Last night I was needing to start it to load it into the back of my pickup..... pulled the rope, it started as usual, but the rope came off in my hand! It broke at the knot inside the recoil mechanism, so I had to fix that before I could take off. Once I got back home, I looked at it again by 1968 Coleman lantern light to rewind the recoil mechanism again. I hadn't gotten it sprung tight enough earlier and the rope handle was hanging down a few inches. Got it done, though. ( I really love this old stuff!)

• TAHOE said thank you

#10 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 08:24 AM

I have read to make sure you use a GL1 gear oil and not the GL5 that you mostly find nowadays. The GL5 has stuff in it that will eat up the bronze bushings in gear box.

This is the only brand I have found at TSC rated at GL1

http://www.tractorsu...ion-fluid-2-gal

• nra1ifer said thank you