Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Checking Out My First Tractor Today (Case 444)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 cmn135 OFFLINE  

cmn135
  • Member No: 56682
  • 34 Thanks
  • 54 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 06:23 AM

Nice Case at a fair price. You found a real GT there! I have a leaf collector on my 448 that runs off rear hydraulics.

Very cool. I have no rear PTO so I may set one of those up in the future after I figure out what my rear attachment options are. For now the tow ball is perfect so I can pull my cart. I'm hoping to do some maintenance and degreasing and clean up. I got a little lucky in that the guy I bought it from had bought it not running, it had overheating problems. He changed all the gaskets and full tune up so I shouldn't have to do much. Apparently the last owner had rigged up an exhaust that pointed right at the air assembly causing it to overheat.
  • A.C.T. said thank you

#17 cmn135 OFFLINE  

cmn135
  • 34 Thanks
  • 54 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 06:26 AM

If that is the Colchester Case 444, I have looked at it before. IF IT IS THE SAME ONE. He stored it inside. The muffler was originally pointed down. He switched it. The motor ran ruff. I believe the carb. is in need of tuning or rebuilding. The tractor was painted. The PTO was loose. It needed to be adjusted. The mower deck worked ok (needed a possible bearing on main pully) . The guy was going to sell it to me for 1k as well. He seamed to be a very nice honest guy. I tested the hydraulic drive and it seamed very strong. The pump and everything checked out to be very strong. Overall I thought the cost was fair and the tractor was in good shape. It needed modest adjustments to work good. I ended up not purchasing because I got cold feet. Ended up purchasing one that was cheeper. Although - not better. Good luck!

Hi Tom,

That sounds like the very same one! Very honest guy for sure. He spent an hour and a half with me showing me everything once I told him it was my first tractor. I know a guy that does a lot of tractor maintenance so I may have him take a look at the carb and the PTO (I have no idea how to adjust one) and yes I need to get a new pulley for the mower deck. I may be able to repair but the bearing seemed pretty seized to me.

Based on the serial number 9651989 anyone know of it's a 1970 or a 1971? I can't tell from what I've read online. It seems like they don't have the ranges pre 72'?

Edited by cmn135, May 06, 2014 - 06:29 AM.

#18 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • Member No: 51604
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 06:42 AM

Nice.  Your new Case has the "newer" style pto which is easy to adjust. Actual photo from your tractor. The carb is easy to have rebuilt.  Start fresh with a rebuilt carb.  Good luck.  I am excited for you!

Attached Thumbnails

• case clutch.jpg

#19 cmn135 OFFLINE  

cmn135
  • 34 Thanks
  • 54 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 07:29 AM

Thanks Tom. I found a manual online named Clutch EZ Adjust PTO Clutch Manual. Pics look similar. Would this be the one?

I have a ton of noob questions but don't want to make everyone crazy. I am very active on a few car and truck forums (to which I have a much better working mechanical knowledge) and know new guy 'easy' questions can get frustrating after a while so I don't want to be that guy. If anyone knows of a good thread or two that covers all the basic things I need to know about the Case 444 or tractors in general so I can educate myself that would be great. 

In the short term, i'd like to try adjusting the PTO, especially if it is easy.  If the PTO is loose, it sounds like I need to adjust the clutch clearance. If the DIY manual I found is the right one it looks like I need to get it to .002-.007". What is the gain on fixing this as the movement seemed pretty fluid to me (but again I don't know much about tractors). Will it gain in power/speed or is it just a fine tuning to make it smoother. Thanks again you guys have been great so far.