Building A New Frame From Scratch...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BowDown ONLINE  

• Member No: 10128
  • 144 Thanks
  • 378 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 08:46 AM

Well my Panzer frame was made from 2" black iron pipe. I need to extend the frame a bit for the electric conversion. I was thinking of just ditching the stock frame and going with 2" square 1/4" wall steel box tubing. This tubing will also need to support 400lbs of batteries. Luckily with the original tractor design my fat butt will be transferred down to the rear end and not the frame. The legs of the frame will be 5ft long. Any thoughts on the material I chose? Strong enough? Overkill?

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
  • hamman said thank you

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,502 Thanks
  • 6,372 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 10:04 AM

Think I would stay round. Do those rails come out of the rear casings? Just pull and put in longer?  I don't know at all. Just weld onto the existing with extensions? Maybe make a smaller tube inside to beef up joint. Square don't think any stonger, but easier to mount stuff I guess, just wouldn't look right to me anyway.

#3 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 12:03 PM

Given the same thickness of steel a square tube or even a c-channel is stronger and has less flex than a round tube, but.. a little flex is not always a bad thing, if done by an experienced welder a flexable tube frame is lighter and less likely to crack/break at welded joints, but a box frame allows for more robust joints by less experienced welders and is easier to work with overall.

I work in metal fab so if I was gonna do a similar project I would probably build a new tube frame from scratch, but I have access to tools an average home builder might not, for most others I would probably recommend building a c-channel box frame because its so much easier to work with and bolt things onto.

Adding to an existing tube frame is rarely a good plan unless its a light duty application because the joint between new and old is not flexable like the rest of the frame and creates a weak point, and if it does break it will be on the old metal side of the joint.
  • propane1 said thank you

#4 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 03:41 PM

I have a T102 Copar Panzer that I found a wide front end kit for a year or so ago..  I believe the pipes are only 2 1/2" round pipe about 3/16th of an inch thick.  I have a 23 hp Mitsubishi 3 cylinder diesel that I plan on putting in it as soon as I find a transmission that will work and the time and energy to do it.  I plan on using two 2 1/2" square 1/4" wall tubing starting off 5' long and cutting off what I don't need.

#5 BowDown ONLINE  

• Member No: 10128
  • 144 Thanks
  • 378 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 06:13 AM

I got a great deal on a scrap piece of 2" x 3" x 3/16" tubing that was left over from a coworker's trailer project. For $20 I have enough to build the 2 frame rails! Sweet. 

• GTTinkerer said thank you