• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Meaty_Matt OFFLINE  

Meaty_Matt
  • Member No: 56705
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 07:41 AM

I got my GT 18 a few weeks ago and today was the first time I really worked it. Used it and the trailer I have to move dirt and pavers.

After about 2 hours of use (on and off) the oil light starts going on.

I checked the oil it was fine according to the level indicator and I have just changed the oil when I got the machine. The engine is 420000 series with no filter so I put 48 oz of 10w30 synthetic

The light kept going on, i checked the level and added about 5 more oz. the stick showed over full and oil came out of the exhaust at one point. So I drained again and put a new 48 oz in. Now the stick reads "full" but "check oil light" keeps coming on

Why do you think the light is going on? DO I have anything to worry about since I know there is oil in there?

Craftsman 917.254410
w/ Briggs 422437-0750-01

Edited by NUTNDUN, May 05, 2014 - 07:47 AM.
Post approved but removed ad links from mtf. Please refrain from copying and pasting.

#2 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 07:56 AM

I have a GT with a digital hour meter and an oil change reminder that flashes the oil light every 50 hours to remind the operator it's time for an oil change. I wonder if that's not what you are seeing. I can't recall how many hours it flashed after it came on, but it didn't go out right away. An operators manual might give some insight, if this is the issue your having. Gary

• MH81 and Meaty_Matt have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,791 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 08:16 AM

It may be the synthetic oil or the sensor is just wrong. Good Luck, Rick

• Meaty_Matt said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 11:53 AM

Do you have a wiring diagram? You could have a defective sensor or a bad connection. I would wonder if it's an oil level sensor or an oil pressure sensor. You can have lots of oil but still have low oil pressure.

#5 Meaty_Matt OFFLINE  

Meaty_Matt
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 11:54 AM

I cant find a manual for my model but I found one for a model 917.254420 very similar. They talk about the "check oil sensor" and say it could go off from the oil being diluted. Maybe because the oil is so clean? I'm stumped. I check the think every 10 minutes and oil is spot on and very clean. I just want to verify that as long as I have the right 48 oz of oil in there I should be good? Probably just a crap sensor?

Should I trash the synthetic and throw on some SAE30? Now how I understand it that when the engine is hot SAE30 = 10w30 = 5w30 and the only difference is cold starting? Im not sure.

Thanks for your replies. Any additional comments would be much appreciated.

#6 Meaty_Matt OFFLINE  

Meaty_Matt
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 11:58 AM

Do you have a wiring diagram? You could have a defective sensor or a bad connection. I would wonder if it's an oil level sensor or an oil pressure sensor. You can have lots of oil but still have low oil pressure.

The manual calls it a pressure sensor. Forgive me if this is a dumb question but In a newb when it comes to motors and such but If I had low oil pressure would I see bad performance? The mower runs great lots of power.

#7 Meaty_Matt OFFLINE  

Meaty_Matt
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 12:00 PM

91ibut.png980 is the sensor

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 12:02 PM

The manual calls it a pressure sensor. Forgive me if this is a dumb question but In a newb when it comes to motors and such but If I had low oil pressure would I see bad performance? The mower runs great lots of power.

Low oil pressure is not going to show up in engine performance until it has caused some damage. You should not use the tractor until you sort out what is going on. It could be the sensor or wiring causing the light to come on but if you really do have low oil pressure you risk serious engine damage by continuing to use it with the light on.

• MH81 and Meaty_Matt have said thanks

#9 Meaty_Matt OFFLINE  

Meaty_Matt
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 12:02 PM

5305s4.jpg

wiring

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,297 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 04:23 PM

I would see if there is any way to plumb in an actual pressure gauge. Check the range the pressure should be and see if the gauge says you're OK. If not, it sounds like a tear down to get to the pump and see what's what.

#11 Meaty_Matt OFFLINE  

Meaty_Matt
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 06:51 AM

Does my motor oiling work splash and there is no oil pressure? Being that the guage is a "level" sensor and not a "pressure" sensor.

#12 Meaty_Matt OFFLINE  

Meaty_Matt
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 06:52 AM

Could it be another clue that this motor doesn't run on pressure oiling since there is no filter? I know that there may be some engines with no filter that work on pressure oiling but in general does it hold true that engines that have splash oiling do not have filters?

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,297 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 07:07 AM

If its just a level sensor, I would assume its just splash. You should find the engine model and look at an exploded view to see if you can tell for sure tho.

#14 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 07:13 AM

That sensor is just a level sensor, not a pressure sensor. Your oiling system is the splash type not pressurized. All that sensor is doing is telling you that your oil level is low, but it isn't low, so your sensor might be bad or you've got an issue with the harness. Gary

#15 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 07:23 AM

Operator's Manual - Engine

Don't know if this will work.