9 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:16 PM

Had a spindle go out in the 318 deck over the weekend. My vice was not big enough to press out the bearings and take the double pulley off. So dad took it to my nephews and pressed it out in his hydraulic press. I'm now thinking I need to build a press. How big a press are you using? I will be getting the bearing this week,
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:44 PM

I have a 50Ton using a bottle jack. I too want to build a bigger one, 100 tons or so using a electric 2 stage pump.

#3 schweitz OFFLINE  

schweitz

• Member No: 3045
  • 17 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:48 PM

Couple months ago I started trying to rebuild one useable JD 48" deck from two junker decks from parts tractors. After nearly ruining two spindle threads by hammering, I used my sale coupon to pick up a HF 20T press for $149. It is plenty big enough, works great and will be very useful for other uses as well.

However, I also found out that some JD spindles/hubs that are badly rusted cannot be pressed out. The spindle is rusted to the lower bearing race, and since the retainer spring-clip cannot be accessed or removed or reached with penetrating solvent, the press will actually bust off the retainer lip holding the spring-clip.

If your spindles are not in that bad shape, the press will work great. Have fun!!

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:52 PM

I have a HF 20-ton, got it on a big coupon sale like in magazines now days. Much lower prices on them in mags. Don't think you could build one for the price. it will do all that I wish to do. I've even broken many things on it and Man pieces fly when under pressure!! Kinda scares me to use it sometimes. Have to be careful to push and hold in the right places to make it work correct. Hardest part so far is finding the metal stands and chunks to use for the base when pressing. Still collecting stuff for mine.

Edited by glgrumpy, May 04, 2014 - 10:53 PM.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 04:08 AM

As others have said it's easier and maybe even cheaper to look for sales on presses. The prices vary a lot depending on features, quality and size. It's a really nice tool to have. It makes jobs like you are describing dead easy. 

I have a HF 20-ton, got it on a big coupon sale like in magazines now days. Much lower prices on them in mags. Don't think you could build one for the price. it will do all that I wish to do. I've even broken many things on it and Man pieces fly when under pressure!! Kinda scares me to use it sometimes. Have to be careful to push and hold in the right places to make it work correct. Hardest part so far is finding the metal stands and chunks to use for the base when pressing. Still collecting stuff for mine.

I know what you mean about pieces flying. I was using a ring press and a jig to bend some new spindles for an MF8. The piece I was using to create the bend shattered like glass under pressure. 

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 05:02 AM

HF can be a good deal but I bought an old American made 30 ton for $125 on Cl a year ago. It came with dozens of adapters for pressing. Look around. As far as pieces flying, we should all be using shields. I worked in a place 40 years ago where we pressed axle bearings. One day the boss's son was pressing an axle when the thing exploded. He got hit in the face with a piece of the shrapnel. After that we had a shield that covered the bearings when we pressed. You can make the shield with a piece of pipe that is bigger than the bearing and a piece of plate with a hole for the press to work through. Weld the plate to the pipe so that the work is enclosed and shrapnel can't get out. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, May 05, 2014 - 05:02 AM.

• pigsitter said thank you

#7 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,291 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 06:49 AM

Bought a 50 Ton press from craigs list several years ago for $75. figured I couldn't build one cheaper.
Anyway only use it a few times a year however it is nice when it is needed.

I feel the pain of putting new bearings in spindles, Changed mine yesterday one was rusted and wouldn't come apart, so I cut the balls out with a torch, once it is out of the housing you can cut the inner race off with a torch if you are careful. Takes a bit of practice but at least you don't destroy anything doing it this way.

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 08:08 AM

Dad said it came apart real easy using the press and housing and spindles were in good shape. I will have to go to the bearing house tomorrow and get the bearings. 

I tore down a modular home I lost to a flood in 2010 last summer and have all the I beams and channel which would make the cost of making a press pretty manageable.

I have seen on the internet where guys have made fixtures for bending bar stock and sheet metal That would be very handy for making implements. That would be handy too. Since I always have idea's for using on my Ford. Some of my idea's actually work our?

#9 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 11:01 AM

Dad said it came apart real easy using the press and housing and spindles were in good shape. I will have to go to the bearing house tomorrow and get the bearings. 

I tore down a modular home I lost to a flood in 2010 last summer and have all the I beams and channel which would make the cost of making a press pretty manageable.

I have seen on the internet where guys have made fixtures for bending bar stock and sheet metal That would be very handy for making implements. That would be handy too. Since I always have idea's for using on my Ford. Some of my idea's actually work our?

I picked up a used American-built 25T press for $125 a few weeks ago. It uses a bottle jack, but they can be hard to work around. Fortunately I have a hand pump--just need to find a 3" cylinder with about 6" stroke and I'll be set.

You might be able to find the hydraulics and use your parts to build one; but the HF model at around $150 is a pretty good buy.  I wouldn't go any lower in capacity than 20T.  HF also makes some sheet metal bending dies for use in vises... I've bent 1 1/2 x 1/8 strap in them on my vice... press should do more.

Or, build yourself a pan brake from some of your pieces of your mfd home--I have the pieces to build one that will hold up to 52" long... just need to time to finish it up.

Smitty

PS--People often refer to an American-built item as being superior to an import, and in many cases it is.  However, to avoid unintentionally snubbing our Canadian friends, a North-American built item is often preferable. The same could be said of items from the UK--we have a 63 year old British-made lathe in our shop and it's still going strong...

Edited by Utah Smitty, May 05, 2014 - 11:04 AM.

#10 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 03:29 PM

Use caution with those mobile home frame parts, in my experience mobile home frames are made from 1/8" material and it is usually soft steel to boot. A  shop press can generate an incredible amount of force where you would not expect it to be,  you could very easily get hurt if the press you made self destructs when you are in the middle of doing something, I personally would look for a good used one or a good deal from hf.  If you are going to make one I would use at least 1/4" material if not a bit heavier.  Be very careful with a press I work with hydraulic stuff all day long and have been almost hurt more times than I want to count because I was not paying attention.

If you lose a finger it will never come back!!!!!!!!

• Utah Smitty said thank you