Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

B-80 8 Speed Rolling Chassis Plus Deck Value?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • Member No: 28750
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 09:59 PM

I looked at this at a yard sale today, the guy's asking $300 for it with no motor. 
Apparently he bought it for its motor and used the motor in something else.

http://southjersey.c...4451694247.html

The deck is in nice shape, I didn't measure it but it appears to be about 44" or so.
Its got original old style tires which are in decent shape. He said a neighbor had it who moved to FL, he needed the engine.

I'm looking for a yard jockey, something to move a trailer around, go get firewood, and to tow a leaf vacuum in the fall. I don't need a mower, I don't have much grass to cut and I've got a large commercial zero turn.

I talked to the guy a bit and he'd sell the tractor minus the deck for a $100, and the deck for $200.
The deck is pretty nice, its got no rust through, good blades, and no damage.
Do these prices sound OK? I was thinking of buying the whole lot and selling the deck anyway, so I could take the deck or leave it. I've got several good motors I can put in it that would work fine for my purposes.

• GlenPettit said thank you

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 11:01 PM

$100 for the works sounds right. Would have to be in very nice condition to be worth much more. Not sure why he thinks deck is worth the big money???  Decks for Horse are all over cheap.  Didn't see a picture, I'll try the link. I like B-80's, nice and easy to steer and run but big wheels like some C series have. It's fun to run one.

OK, looked and is pretty good and complete. Maybe $150 for works. OH.......now I see the HUB CAPS add the value....Yep!

Edited by glgrumpy, May 04, 2014 - 11:03 PM.

#3 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 12:20 AM

If it is a 48 inch deck and in good condition,it's worth at least $100 alone. The hub caps,if they are Wheel Horse even in rough condition $50. The rolling 8 speed tractor $75.

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 12:24 AM

The hub caps aren't WH, just plain baby moons.

#5 junkpile OFFLINE  

junkpile
  • Member No: 27830
  • 7 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 12:25 AM

I've got a B-80 with a 12hp Kohler on it, I paid $350 for the whole rig with a recent motor but it came with a smaller deck. I searched high and low for a deck that wasn't rotted out or totally trashed here and finally found one that I could salvage for $300. Maybe this just isn't a wheel horse area but parts for mine have been hard to find unless I go shopping online. Finding a deck online wouldn't work due to the cost of shipping, its just too heavy. The deck I found was in PA, it took $300 and a tank of gas in my truck to go after it, about a 250 mile round trip ride.

I later sold my original hubcaps and tires to a collector who paid me what I paid for the tractor for the old used tires and dinged up hubcaps.

Mine isn't nearly as clean as the one in your link, it never will be. Since it lives outdoors year round I don't see much sense in making it pretty.

#6 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 12:37 AM

I didn't have a tape measure when I was there looking at it but the trailer it was sitting on had what appeared to be full sheet of plywood on the floor, the deck overall spanned about an inch wider than the plywood sheet side to side. So taking into account the overhang of the outlet chute, I'd figure the cut width is about 6" or so less than the width of the deck shell?

Either way, the deck doesn't matter much to me, if I get this thing, it'll never see a deck again. I might consider finding a snow plow for it and a set of ags, but I don't need it to cut grass. The seller works odd hours so I don't think its going anywhere anytime soon, maybe I can find a buyer for the deck and pick up the tractor for a $100. I'm not partial to WH, but its the heaviest thing I've seen that's not in the $1000 range. I also like the fact that its a gear transmission not a hydrostatic trans.

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 06:49 AM

Most 80's had 36" decks and could be side or rear discharge types. I don't think a 48" would be avail or powered by 8hp. Think next size up is 42" and that is common Horse deck size. I live in IN, home state for Horse, so guess easier to find stuff here??

#8 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 07:20 AM

Clean looking machine.

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,477 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 09:47 AM

I'm with Grumpy, 36" deck was the standard. I didn't realise they came with a hi/lo tranny either.

I bought a B-80, 4 spd, snow blade, no deck last summer non running for $75. Got it running, battery, etc and sold it for $180. Guy that bought it was member here, rod let lose on him and he found another 8 Hp Kohler, got it running again and I think sold for $350, without deck. It was a nice little tractor, but it just fell into my lap, wasn't my "brand" :smilewink:

#10 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 11:12 AM

The B80 was sold as both a 4 speed and 8 speed. If the 8 HP was upgraded to a 12 HP,the smaller deck could have easily been upgraded also. Even a 42 inch deck in good usable shape is worth $100. A 48 in very nice condition can bring bring over $200.

Edited by rustyoldjunk, May 05, 2014 - 11:14 AM.

• oldiron said thank you

#11 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 11:26 AM

Years ago there were plenty of WH machines here but the dealer that sold them went away in the 70's. The big brand here is Cub Cadet or John Deere. CC has had several dealers here forever.
I've looked at various other machines, two others were WH, one was a C-100, which looked just like this  B-80 but with a stuck motor with no head. The deck was rusted away to almost nothing, it had four badly rotted and flat tires, and none of the controls would move. It sold at an auction north of here for $180. I didn't want to deal with all the other issues and all the unknowns of that machine.

I looked at one marked Challenger with a 16hp motor that he couldn't get to start, but it too needed everything, the tires were flat with tubes coming through the rotted sidewalls, and no deck. I offered him The guy wanted $600 and wouldn't budge on the price. It was gone two days later. I looked at a JD 112, which had a deck but it was just a shell, and it was missing a grill, the hood was falling apart, and it too needed tires right away, the guy was asking $800 and wouldn't budge on the price.

The last one I looked at was a 312-8 WH but it was pretty weathered looking and had a lot of rust, something that's pretty common here. The salt air takes a real toll on steel in some areas here. The 312-8 had a small deck, the tires were borderline with some serious sidewall cracks but they seemed to hold air. It appeared to have been sitting in the same spot for years. The guy started it on ether after jump starting it with his car. I think the B-80 looked like a heavier built machine, its all metal, had good tires, and the 8 speed transmission.

I talked to the seller again and he gave me the number of the guy who he bought it from, he's an old guy who I think just got too old to run it. He said he had a local shop put a new motor in it, a new belt, and a new seat four years ago, but he took sick soon after. He said his wife cut the lawn with it till the beginning of last season when they hired a lawn service.

He also said that they bought a new old stock deck when he changed the motor. He said the old motor was 12hp, and believes the deck was 48" but wasn't sure.

Its definitely not a 36" deck just by looking at it. It spans more than the width of the 4' wide sheet of plywood its parked on in the pic.

The plan is to offer $150 and see what happens, it looks decent enough that I don't mind spending $200 if I have too. I'd then sell off the deck to pay for any other items I'll need to get it up and running.

#12 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 12:34 AM

I stopped by after work and measured the deck on the WH, The cut across the blades measures 42". The deck has some paint peeling but no rust through, and the blades all look pretty decent, no dings, no bad wear, pretty much ready to cut other than some surface rust from sitting.

All the rollers are good, the deck belt looks decent, and the linkage appears to be complete and intact.

A few things that I noticed on the WH is that its got no headlights and the hood itself doesn't latch well, you have to fiddle with the lever to get it to latch down.
The tires are all near perfect, the rims are in nice shape, and the steering feels good. There's a bit of play in the front axle but nothing I'd even worry about for my purposes. The front axle moves about 1/8" fore and aft when you turn the steering wheel. I don't think its had much use, I don't see a lot of  wear from normal use on the thing, the paint on the pedals is still there, the tires show almost no tread wear, and the shift knobs and controls don't show wear. Its just dusty with some faded paint for the most part.

#13 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 12:00 AM

I gave the seller a call today after seeing the add was taken down and he said the guy who wanted the deck bought the whole thing.
So much for waiting for the price to come down I guess.

I looked at two others but they too were gone by the weekend, both were much more money but in about the same shape.
On the bright side, the same seller has a few other machines for sale but they're yellow not red.