• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 14, 2014 - 08:34 PM

wow .....nice looking tractors      we never have a bad month...

• GTTinkerer, superspeedex and Gabriel have said thanks

#2 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 21, 2014 - 10:53 AM

another tough month,    they all look awesome

• superspeedex said thank you

#3 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 02:46 PM

I haven't entered one of these contest for a very long time and " anything goes " is certainly a category I can qualify for.  I'm going to throw my 1937 Shaw Do-all tractor conversion into this one.

This tractor started out as a walk behind tractor made by the Shaw Manufacturing Company of Galesburg, Kansas.

Here is what a 1937 Shaw Do-all looked like .

attachicon.gif#1-3.JPG

This is an advertisement pamphlet for the Shaw tractor.  

attachicon.gif#1.JPG

This particular walk behind tractor was converted to a riding tractor.  By the way it was done and the parts used, I figure the conversion was made back in the 40's or 50's

This is how it looked when I got it.

attachicon.gif4.JPG

attachicon.gif6.JPG

The work on theconversion was done well but the design wasn't very good.   

The Shaw walk beyond tractor came with a transmission with 3-forward speeds and 1-reverse and the shift lever angles back toward the operator behind the tractor.

This made it so the seat had to be places out behind the drive axle.  

Because the operator sat so far back, a large heavy counter balance weight had to be placed on the front.

A channel iron frame was bolted on the front and the engine was moved forward.

The front axle was built out of the same channel iron with two "wheel barrow" wheels attached.

A Ford Model-T steering column was used for turning the front wheels.

A lever was bolted to the Model-T steering shaft with a ti-rod going out to one of the wheels.

Because the steering column is mounted under the engine, the bottom of the steering wheel is setting below the seat pan.

The Shaw tractor came with independent brake on each drive wheel that could be used to help steer the walk behind tractor.

The conversion has two "angle iron" pedals mounted bolted to the side of the frame to operate these brakes.

With the placement of the seat and the steering wheel, it is almost impossible for an adult to get their feet on either of the brake pedals.

attachicon.gif8.JPG

The drive clutch was operated by a long hand leaver on the right side to tighten a V-belt.

The original Brigs & Stratton engine only had about 3 HP.    With the added weight of the conversion and an operator, this tractor could just barely move itself.

The first thing I did was to tear the tractor all down.     Then I shortened the front frame and angled the ends in at 45 degrees to form a new front axle mount.

I used a cast iron front axle off a mid old garden tractor so the front end looks more like a tractor built in the late 30's.

The Model-t steering is set back behind the engine and connected to a steering box.

The steering box has a pitman arm on the left side with a ti-rod  running up to the left front wheel.

The transmission was rotated forward so the shifter if forward and standing up.    This allows the seat to be placed farther forward and more over the drive axle.

attachicon.gif10.JPG

attachicon.gif11.JPG

attachicon.gif12.JPG

The engine is a 14 HP Wisconsin with electric start and the choke and throttle are operated by the two control levers right under the steering wheel

There is a yellow flat belt pulley on the left side of the engine that can be used to power farm equipment like a corn Sheller, cream separator, grinding wheel for sharpening tools and any smaller flat belt driven implement.

attachicon.gif77.JPG

The flat belt is kept in the tool box mounted behind the laft rear wheel.

attachicon.gif39.JPG

I mounted steel wagon wheel on the front to blend with the steel rear wheels.

The drive clutch is still tightening and loosing a V-belt but it is operated by a foot pedal on the left instead of the old hand lever.

The rear brakes are operated by the right foot pedal and has an equalizer bracket so the same pressure it applied to each brake.

There is a Ford Model-T brake lever on the right side the engages both brakes for the "parking brake".

The tractor is used taking to antique tractor shows and I built a yard rake to pull behind it.

attachicon.gif27.JPG

attachicon.gif72.JPG

attachicon.gif73.JPG

attachicon.gif76.JPG

attachicon.gif74.JPG

attachicon.gif78.JPG

Cool! Love to own one of those.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff