• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PapsGT17 OFFLINE  

PapsGT17
  • Member No: 55057
  • 28 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 08:53 AM

Hi guys I'm new to the forum. My pap bought his GT17 new in '79(year I was born) along with a 48" mower deck and a Brantley FEL. He has passed away recently and I have inherited his tractor and a parts tractor. I want to give this tractor the proper amount of TLC seeing as I plan on keeping it for the long haul as well. While I have it apart to paint I would love to add power steering to make it easier to operate with the FEL on it. Are the orbital valves on say a JD318 similar or am I going to need an actual Ariens valve and parts? Also is the right side spindle and steering arm different? Any input would be appreciated. Maybe even a few pics from you lucky guys with the 18s and 20s with the factory setups. Thanks in advance for your help.
  • Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 09:14 AM

I don't have answers to your questions, but :welcometogttalk: , and :wewantpics:

Someone will be along soon to help with your questions.

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,746 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 09:27 AM

Welcome to GTT. Look in our Manuals Section for info. Post pics if you can. Good Luck, Rick

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,513 Thanks
  • 3,912 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 12:15 PM

Welcome to GTtalk!

Sorry to hear of your family's loss. That is neat that you were able to get his tractor with the memories.

Just offhand, I am thinking that Ariens used power steering componants from another manufacture. So a JD or MF might fit in. I think the steering cylinder is on the left where the armstrong linkage goes on the right.

And a loader! That is cool. Did it come with from new?

#5 PapsGT17 OFFLINE  

PapsGT17
  • Member No: 55057
  • 28 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 05:38 PM

Yes the loader was purchased with the tractor from new. It has worked hard but reliably. As soon as I get time to post some pics I will.
  • shorty said thank you

#6 warren OFFLINE  

warren
  • Member No: 48223
  • 42 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 02:22 PM

Hi guys I'm new to the forum. My pap bought his GT17 new in '79(year I was born) along with a 48" mower deck and a Brantley FEL. He has passed away recently and I have inherited his tractor and a parts tractor. I want to give this tractor the proper amount of TLC seeing as I plan on keeping it for the long haul as well. While I have it apart to paint I would love to add power steering to make it easier to operate with the FEL on it. Are the orbital valves on say a JD318 similar or am I going to need an actual Ariens valve and parts? Also is the right side spindle and steering arm different? Any input would be appreciated. Maybe even a few pic s from you lucky guys with the 18s and 20s with the factory setups. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi,  When I got my 1st Ariens (an S16H), and adapted a FEL to fit it I quickly found out that PS was needed.  I acquired a trashed 318 and utilized the steering valve and steering cylinder onto my Ariens.  I made a support to hold the steering valve, (was able to retain the original dash tower) welded a mount to the frame for the rear of the cylinder and simply used a 5/8" bolt to attach the cylinder to the steering arm.  I mounted the cylinder onto the RIGHT side of the tractor.  The 318 steering valve had 5 outlets instead of the 4 that Ariens uses but I simply plugged the 5th one that was marked AUX.  I had hoses made up and spent some time (and $$) getting them and then routing them in some close spaces.  I still have the S16 but it's been parked and replaced by a GT20 that I found last year and swapped the loader onto it.   You can check that out on the second page under;  GT20 with turning brakes - - - - - -!   I also have a GT17 that I'm going to sell that surprising has the mount for the steering cylinder.  (On the left side)  1st one I've seen with one.  Good luck with yours.  Warren

• c--line said thank you

#7 Semcx OFFLINE  

Semcx
  • Member No: 59067
  • 13 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 11:31 PM

Hello,

I found a Ariens GT18 with PS that I saved from going to the scrap yard. So this winter I plan on putting it on my GT16. I'll take some pictures of the GT18 before I take it apart and post them.  

Hugh

• c--line said thank you

#8 c--line OFFLINE  

c--line
  • Member No: 59021
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 01:08 PM

Hello,

I found a Ariens GT18 with PS that I saved from going to the scrap yard. So this winter I plan on putting it on my GT16. I'll take some pictures of the GT18 before I take it apart and post them.  

Hugh

Hi Hugh, could you post a picture of the steering cylinder where it mounts to the frame? I'm trying to put power steering on my GT17 but can't find a picture of the mount anywhere. Looking forward to seeing the pictures(before, during and after teardown)

Thanks a lot for posting, keeps us informed and really helps with alterations we all have need or want to do. Best regards, c--line