• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Pudycatz OFFLINE  

Pudycatz
  • Member No: 41368
  • 41 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 08:09 PM

My 1855 original Onan engine ran fine until today. It will only start and run on choke. Of course with choke on it will not rev up. Even after letting it run for 5 mins (choked) as soon as I unchoked it died. I hope its something simple but with my luck probably not. Any thoughts suggestions appreciated as always.

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 08:16 PM

Sounds like a blocked passage in the carb. 

• boyscout862 and Pudycatz have said thanks

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 08:18 PM

Unless there is a fuel delivery problem to the carb, sounds like the main jet is plugged, at least partially.  First check that carb is getting fuel.  If it is, you need to clean the main jet.  I've not had an 1855, so not familiar with what carb is on it.  ....just looked it up, and it shows a Marvel Schebler "DD" style carb.  Best to just take the carb apart for a good cleaning.  I'm betting a piece of crud dislodged & blocked the main jet orifice.

• Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862 and Pudycatz have said thanks

#4 Jack ONLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 08:19 PM

Yes, you most likely have crap in the carb. Or some restriction in fuel flow from the tank etc.  My guess it you will have to remove the carb and dissemble it and clean it.  Good luck..Jack..

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 08:36 PM

My first thought would be fuel supply to the carb.  Is your fuel pump (if equipped) working? 

Pull the supply line off the carb and see if you get fuel flow,  You may have to crank the engine if it has a fuel pump. 

Ben W.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 08:41 PM

This may have the fuel pump integrated to the side of the carb.  It could well be the pump is faulty, but is harder to tell being you have to pull the top off the carb, then turn the engine over to get the vacuum pulse pump to work.  Then the fuel will shoot up from the carb body, so you must be careful.  Best to remove power from the coil before testing like this.  The insides of the integrated fuel pumps will also build up a lot of crud which can break loose & makes it's way into the fuel bowl, or plug the float needle. 

• boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#7 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 04:10 AM

I agree with what I have read but would ad if it is crap in the carb I would change all the fuel lines and flush the tank when you clean the carb, the crud has to come from somewhere and odds are the tank has crap in it or one of the fuel lines are coming apart. Do it all at one time or do it later when it plugs up again!

• IamSherwood, boyscout862 and pigsitter have said thanks

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 05:24 AM

The last carb I had apart, from a Kohler KT17, had a big piece of rubber fuel line in the bowl. At some point someone must have been cutting the line and a piece got in there. It seems unlikely but a lot of crap can get into your gas or fall into the tank opening and end up lodged in the worst possible spot. 

#9 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 06:19 AM

As everyone has said it sure sounds like a fuel issue on different occasions I've had it be either crud in the carb or a weak fuel pump as well as a partially plugged up inline filter. Yesterday my big craftsman with a kohler twin started surging and running rough without partial choke,some quick troubleshooting determined a fuel pump feeding very little fuel to one cylinder.

#10 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,494 Thanks
  • 3,380 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 08:15 AM

If anyone ever needs one of the Marvel-Schebler DD carbs, I found a source of brand new ones for under $300, they sell north $500 often on eBay. I bought one from them last year for $239.99, they're now $299, but still a bargain by comparison.

• limebuzz, coldone and ENafziger have said thanks

#11 adolphsson09 OFFLINE  

adolphsson09
  • Member No: 9844
  • 249 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 07:55 PM

I ran into this same trouble today tore off the carb cleaned everything up only to find the vacuum hose to the fuel pump had come off I should have checked to see if the pump was working first Oh well my carb got a good cleaning today

#12 bigge61 OFFLINE  

bigge61

• Member No: 2914
  • 96 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 06:07 PM

I have run into this problem a lot, not only on garden tractors but motorcycles and my off-road truck.  It is, as stated probably the pump or junk in the carb.  I have had luck in the past getting it running as fast as it will and then, with a glove on, cover the top of the carb until it almost dies.  This causes a vacuum and will sometimes dislodge what ever is in the carb.  Usually have to do this a few times but it will get you going again (usually) until you have a chance to clean it out properly, after a hard day of wheeling or plowing.  Probably a dirty or loose air filter that started the whole mess. Fuel filters usually block up before they pass a chunk.

• ENafziger said thank you

#13 Pudycatz OFFLINE  

Pudycatz
  • Member No: 41368
  • 41 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 07:33 PM

She's running again.......... I cleaned carb and she fired right up. Now another issue. It drips (a lot of oil) when running. I assume sitting over the winter and being old has something to do with it. Anyway  thanks to all responses.

Edited by Pudycatz, May 12, 2014 - 07:34 PM.

• olcowhand said thank you