15 replies to this topic

#1 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8084
  • 1,013 Thanks
  • 547 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 07:35 PM

Here's the other tractor that I received in the trade for my Shaw (as explained in my thread on my Waterloo Bronco).  This is an Empire riding tractor.  Empire was known for its walk behind tractors, but they did produce a handful of riding tractors as well.  There are very few of these around, and most estimates suggest there were around a dozen produced, and who knows how many of those still survive (I do know where a few of them are).  It uses a crank start Briggs ZZ engine, mated to a T-92 transmission, the same as what was used by Economy.  The rear end is borrowed from their walk behind models, as are the rear wheels.  These are a heavy, beastly little tractors.  Here are some pictures, and again, sorry for the poor quality.  I'll take better ones when the weather cooperates and I have more time.  I don't know why the front wheels look like they're toed out in the pictures - they aren't really.  I do have the seat and the air cleaner and all that.  They just weren't on there when I took the picture.  The tractor does need a a bunch of work.  It's nice to now have a Waterloo Bronco and an Empire rider in my collection for a little Canadian content.  There were so few garden tractors produced here.

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

Pic 4.jpg

Pic 5.jpg

Pic 6.jpg

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 08:19 PM

One of a dozen.  Now that's rare!  I think you came out ahead on that swap.

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 08:22 PM

Nice tractor :thumbs:   those rear rims sure look different ,are they cast ?

#4 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,013 Thanks
  • 547 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 08:36 PM

One of a dozen.  Now that's rare!  I think you came out ahead on that swap.

That's the number I've heard from a few guys, but who knows.  To my knowledge there aren't any records.  They are definitely hard to come by though.

#5 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,013 Thanks
  • 547 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 08:38 PM

Nice tractor :thumbs:   those rear rims sure look different ,are they cast ?

They are indeed cast.  I have seen a different one that used 12" matching cast rims on the front too.  They looked slick.  They were the same rims used on their walk behinds too, so I guess that makes sense - reuse as many parts as possible.  

• Alc said thank you

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 10:48 PM

Great looking piece of history you traded for. You don't just come up on those everyday, very nice.

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 08:09 AM

Wow! Heavy is right!  Love those mile long spindles with mounting at both ends or all the way, can't tell. Darn thing looks alot like an Economy And the Speedex lines in design,but heavier. Heck, even has Yellow wheels like speedex, ha!  I take it there is another seat brace for other side of case too? What's engine and what is holding it up or in frame??  Not getting clear shot of that. OH, yeah, Brigggs you said, duh!  What's the clutch then? Similar to PK's?

#8 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,013 Thanks
  • 547 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 08:32 AM

Wow! Heavy is right!  Love those mile long spindles with mounting at both ends or all the way, can't tell. Darn thing looks alot like an Economy And the Speedex lines in design,but heavier. Heck, even has Yellow wheels like speedex, ha!  I take it there is another seat brace for other side of case too? What's engine and what is holding it up or in frame??  Not getting clear shot of that. OH, yeah, Brigggs you said, duh!  What's the clutch then? Similar to PK's?

I came across an ad with the specs on it and it says that it weighs in at 1000lbs.  I wouldn't be surprised.  The frame alone is solid metal (looks like 1"x2" or something - I'd have to measure), not tube or u-channel.  It uses just one seat, but it's a little offset.  The clutch is a friction clutch.  I have an Economy but have never looked at the clutch (it's an old chain steer so the clutch is completely housed and I've never taken it apart as I've never had problems with it).  I'll get some better pictures of it this afternoon, as long as the weather holds.  It rained on and off all day yesterday.  Right now the sun is out, but that may not last.  

#9 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 09:25 AM

Too bad you didn't get a chance to slow down here on your way by.

I know the previous owner - a great couple.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures of your finds.

#10 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:54 AM

That's the number I've heard from a few guys, but who knows.  To my knowledge there aren't any records.  They are definitely hard to come by though.

Guelph University has a bunch of Waterloo records, some of which relate to the Bronco.  Call numbers are: XA1 RHC A0355002, XA1 RHC A0355003,  XA1 RHC A0355004, XA1 RHC A0355016, XA1 RHC A0355020,   XA1 RHC A0355029,  XA1 RHC A0355031.  You have to email them in advance so they can bring them to the mail library from their storage building.  You can photocopy or photograph (no flash), but not scan them.  They can scan them for you for a fee. 

#11 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,013 Thanks
  • 547 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 12:57 PM

Too bad you didn't get a chance to slow down here on your way by.

I know the previous owner - a great couple.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures of your finds.

Yes, they are very nice.  We talked for quite awhile, and I'm looking forward to seeing them again.  He was ecstatic, I think, about the Shaw.

#12 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,296 Thanks
  • 1,096 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 01:16 PM

Here's the other tractor that I received in the trade for my Shaw (as explained in my thread on my Waterloo Bronco).  This is an Empire riding tractor.  Empire was known for its walk behind tractors, but they did produce a handful of riding tractors as well.  There are very few of these around, and most estimates suggest there were around a dozen produced, and who knows how many of those still survive (I do know where a few of them are).  It uses a crank start Briggs ZZ engine, mated to a T-92 transmission, the same as what was used by Economy.  The rear end is borrowed from their walk behind models, as are the rear wheels.  These are a heavy, beastly little tractors.  Here are some pictures, and again, sorry for the poor quality.  I'll take better ones when the weather cooperates and I have more time.  I don't know why the front wheels look like they're toed out in the pictures - they aren't really.  I do have the seat and the air cleaner and all that.  They just weren't on there when I took the picture.  The tractor does need a a bunch of work.  It's nice to now have a Waterloo Bronco and an Empire rider in my collection for a little Canadian content.  There were so few garden tractors produced here.

attachicon.gifPic 1.jpg

attachicon.gifPic 2.jpg

attachicon.gifPic 3.jpg

attachicon.gifPic 4.jpg

attachicon.gifPic 5.jpg

attachicon.gifPic 6.jpg

Thank you for sharing. Definitely want to hold on to that one. 

#13 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12382
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 08:08 PM

Awesome find,looks like they removed the tool box on top of the rear end to make room for the seat . Does it have a shift lever down by the rear axles like a walker ? Also looks like changes to the drive part on the rear hubs. cheers and good luck Mike

#14 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,013 Thanks
  • 547 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 06:19 PM

The rear end is where the work lies in this little guy; the rest of the tractor looks decent.  First, the rear axle is bent (I do have one to replace it).  I'm wondering if it got dropped off a trailer.  The tractors are heavy.  Not sure how else you'd bend an axle that way.  Then, as some point someone butchered the hubs and what not.  There should be a little handle going to each wheel to engage and disengage a pawl on the hubs.  As I understand it, you should be able to lock one wheel or the other and have the other one free, lock both wheels, or have both wheels free (at least that's how I understand it - could be wrong).  These should be able to be engaged and disengaged while riding the tractor.  Someone at some point did some modifications.  I also think there are some parts that were welded together that should not be welded together.  I do have a bunch of parts that came with the tractor to help make it right and take it back to original (other than the little handles which look as if they are easily fabricated).  It is also missing the brakes on it too, which I'll also have to look at.  I know a couple of fellows who own one so I'm hoping to take a peek at theirs and get some good pictures to help me out.  

Also, the brass ID tag on the engine has a serial number that dates to 1943, if I remember correctly.  It's a nice, clear and clean tag.  Guessing that's because it was nice and neatly tucked away under the hood of the tractor for so long.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#15 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12382
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 08:56 PM

If the rear hubs are the same from 2 to 4 wheel tractor I should have a extra ratchet lever all though the spring that keeps the pressure on is broke but I made a new one for the Waterloo and it is easy.Let me know if I can help get your Empire rolling. Cheers Mike

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you