19 replies to this topic

#1 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8084
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 07:19 PM

So, a gentleman made me an offer to trade for my Shaw Du-All.  It took me a long time to decide whether I should do it or not as I did not want to part with my Shaw, but in the end I agreed.  Today I came home with my new acquisitions.  I ended up trading for a pair of Waterloo Bronco tractors, made in Waterloo, Ontario, as well as an Empire riding tractor, made in Windsor, Ontario (I'll start a separate thread on the Empire).  There were somewhere around 1000 Broncos made over the few years they were produced, but because they were made so close to where I live, they are relatively easily found here.

The one Bronco is complete and was last running two years ago.  It is the one pictured.  It needs some work, including to be painted the correct colour.  The front blade is not OEM, but I do have a correct single furrow plow for it.  These Broncos use a Wisconsin model TE engine, and a Borg-Warner T-96 transimission.  It has the optional electric start as well as the headlights.  The second Bronco is a basket case, but is mostly there.  The second Bronco has the optional adjustable front end on it, which I would transfer to the tractor I'm keeping.  My plan is to make one really nice tractor from the two, and then put the second one together and sell it.  I only want one.  There's enough there of the second one for someone to either restore it or use it for parts.  Anyway, here are the pictures of the one that I plan to work on to keep for myself.  I just took these pictures as soon as I got home and parked the truck.  Sorry, they're not the best pictures.  I'll take some better ones when the weather is nicer.  

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

Pic 4.jpg

Pic 5.jpg

Pic 6.jpg

• DH1, Gtractor, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 07:42 PM

How do you manage to find all the cool stuff, Jamie?  How much can that thing pull? 

Ben W.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,662 Thanks
  • 7,683 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 07:48 PM

That's going to be a beauty when it's restored.

#4 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 08:14 PM

Awesome find.  I am happy that you finally took the plunge on the deal.  Another Shaw will come along when you are ready.

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 08:17 PM

Those tractors have some very nice tin work on them :thumbs: Can't wait till you get it redone

#6 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 08:32 PM

How do you manage to find all the cool stuff, Jamie?  How much can that thing pull? 

Ben W.

I don't know how much it can pull, actually.  I don't recall having seen that spec anywhere.  I can tell you that, even though it used an air-cooled Wisconsin, it was meant to compete with the Farmall Cub, Allis G, JD L, MH Pony, etc.

• superaben said thank you

#7 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 08:34 PM

Those tractors have some very nice tin work on them :thumbs: Can't wait till you get it redone

They are a nice looking tractor and are very collectible.  I have always admired them.  

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 09:42 PM

I don't know how much it can pull, actually.  I don't recall having seen that spec anywhere.  I can tell you that, even though it used an air-cooled Wisconsin, it was meant to compete with the Farmall Cub, Allis G, JD L, MH Pony, etc.

Those old Wisconsin had a lot of low end in them.  I know locally we have two guys who run Shaws in the tractor pulls against the Cubs and Ponys.  The tractor would spin before those old Wisconsins would quit.  The same thing on the old New Holland balers, that's a lot of machinery to spin and the Wisconsins would do it without sweating. 

Ben W.

#9 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 09:52 PM

Nice tractors you got your hands on there Jamie.

You're going to have to get a bigger garage soon.

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 05:38 AM

Very nice! The rear rubber looks almost new on it. I like the looks of that tractor better than the Cubs and Ponies that you usually see in that size range. 

#11 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 06:13 AM

Awesome find.  I am happy that you finally took the plunge on the deal.  Another Shaw will come along when you are ready.

Thanks, Mark.  I wanted to stop at your place too, but didn't have time.  I left Friday night, got there early Saturday morning, loaded the tractors and visited for a few hours, and then tried to make it home in time to see my kids before they went to bed.  It was a whirlwind trip.  Next time I'll pop by for a visit and to see your collection!

Those old Wisconsin had a lot of low end in them.  I know locally we have two guys who run Shaws in the tractor pulls against the Cubs and Ponys.  The tractor would spin before those old Wisconsins would quit.  The same thing on the old New Holland balers, that's a lot of machinery to spin and the Wisconsins would do it without sweating. 

Ben W.

I am a big fan of Wisconsins, I must say.  I've had pretty good luck with them.  I'm sure someone around here has pulled with one as there are a number of them around.  I'm going to ask around.

Nice tractors you got your hands on there Jamie.

You're going to have to get a bigger garage soon.

Thanks, Will.  I have thought about putting a lean-to on the back of the garage.  I have 8-10 feet in width back there I have to play with, and right now that space isn't used it all.  It seems a shame not to put it to use.  I'm going to start looking for free materials.  I know if I'm patient I'll be able to find the building materials for next to nothing as they do come along fairly regularly.  It doesn't need to be fancy as it's hidden behind the garage.

Very nice! The rear rubber looks almost new on it. I like the looks of that tractor better than the Cubs and Ponies that you usually see in that size range. 

They are nice looking, especially when they're painted up in the right colours (there are lots of pictures of restored ones online).  I still think of the Bronco as a garden tractor, rather than a small tractor.  I don't really know why.

• superaben said thank you

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 06:49 AM

They are nice looking, especially when they're painted up in the right colours (there are lots of pictures of restored ones online).  I still think of the Bronco as a garden tractor, rather than a small tractor.  I don't really know why.

You might consider it the first Super Garden Tractor produced. 

#13 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 08:15 AM

Neat! Moline had Bronco's made in CA in their colors. Zis same tractor then?  Think you should make it into an MM if so. Not that I favor MM colors or nuttin', just looks good. You DID say it was wrong color right? 

#14 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 08:45 AM

Neat! Moline had Bronco's made in CA in their colors. Zis same tractor then?  Think you should make it into an MM if so. Not that I favor MM colors or nuttin', just looks good. You DID say it was wrong color right? 

To my knowledge, the Waterloo Broncos were made by Waterloo Mfg. Co., in Waterloo, Ontario.  That company was around for many, many years and made all kinds of stuff, including the walk behind tractors commonly found in my area.  I don't think the Waterloo Bronco had anything to do with MM (other than borrowing their paint colours), although I know that Waterloo Mfg. and MM did have a relationship at one point, at least for certain products.  To my knowledge, this was all Waterloo Mfg, and it was their only rider.  Yes, it should be that Prairie Gold, I believe, just like the MMs.  I was figuring on likely using the MM colour, anyway.  The wheels are supposed to be a red colour, and I believe that colour was a MM colour as well.  There are lots of pictures online of Broncos painted the correct colour, or close to it.  

Edited by jtrojek, May 04, 2014 - 08:46 AM.

#15 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 11:01 AM

To my knowledge, the Waterloo Broncos were made by Waterloo Mfg. Co., in Waterloo, Ontario.  That company was around for many, many years and made all kinds of stuff, including the walk behind tractors commonly found in my area.  I don't think the Waterloo Bronco had anything to do with MM (other than borrowing their paint colours), although I know that Waterloo Mfg. and MM did have a relationship at one point, at least for certain products.  To my knowledge, this was all Waterloo Mfg, and it was their only rider.  Yes, it should be that Prairie Gold, I believe, just like the MMs.  I was figuring on likely using the MM colour, anyway.  The wheels are supposed to be a red colour, and I believe that colour was a MM colour as well.  There are lots of pictures online of Broncos painted the correct colour, or close to it.  

Gotta disagree with you on the Bronco being Waterloo's only rider.  They also made one called the Eagle (Guelp U call numbers XA1 RHC A0355008 & XA1 RHC A0355029).