#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 07:09 PM

I decided to pull the front left wheel off the John Deere 60 today, and install a new tube. After breaking the bead of the tire, I found a green liquid flowing out, that sort of resembled antifreeze. If that wasn't enough to boggle the mind, I found a kind of burlap material lining the inside of the tire to the rim. Would anybody have some sort of idea as to what this might be? I have changed a lot of tires on lawn and garden tires throughout my days of collecting, but this has me stumped. I have never come across anything like this before. Kind of curious as to what the purpose was for the burlap type material, and what really stumps me, is how it was lined on both the inside of the tire and the rim. I vertually had to separate the material in order to release the tire bead from the rim.

Any ideas??

John Deere 60 001.JPG John Deere 60 002.JPG John Deere 60 003.JPG John Deere 60 004.JPG

• MH81 and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#2 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 07:24 PM

looks nasty whatever it is.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#3 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 07:37 PM

That could be "tire leak sealer", liquid stuff you put in the tire to stop leaks. ???

The burlap ???

#4 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 07:37 PM

Looks like SLIME sealant...........not sure what the purpose of the burlap is.

#5 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 07:51 PM

Not sure that it is burlap, it just has the texture of burlap. It really has me baffled. I guess it's ok to handle it with my bare hands, as I really didn't have much choice since it ran out once I broke the bead. Doesn't seem to have a smell or strong scent either. 

I was afraid to remove the burlap looking stuff, as I was afraid most of the metal rim would come off with it. Surprisingly, the inside of the rim really isn't bad as far as rust goes. No holes found anywhere. Whatever the burlap looking stuff is, it seems to have protected the rim from rusting inside out.

Edited by johndeereelfman, May 03, 2014 - 08:41 PM.

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 08:11 PM

Troy, it was probably done by a graduate of the same school one of the previous owners of my John Deere M had come from.  He had duct tape lining the inside of the wheel where calcium chloride had done its damage.  The tire shop who changed the tire and rewelded the rim right called me (since I work across the road) and asked if I wanted to "see somethin'".  I have a picture somewhere.  The redneck engineer must have used a couple rolls, he had the entire rim lined inside.

Ben W.

#7 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 08:23 PM

If I had to guess, and I do because I don't know, I would say the "burlap" was original packaging materials that the original installer was to lazy to remove.

• johndeereelfman and petrj6 have said thanks

#8 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 08:51 PM

If I had to guess, and I do because I don't know, I would say the "burlap" was original packaging materials that the original installer was to lazy to remove.

That's a good guess, except the burlap stuff was wrapped up inside the tire as well. It wasn't just around the rim. It was actually up the sides of the tire sidewalls, as I had to cut it after I had the bead broke. It seems that this burlap stuff was somehow sprayed through the valve stem, so that it coated the whole inside of both the rim and wheel. Is there, or was there a product out there that resembles this kind of application or coating? 

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#9 Genem OFFLINE  

Genem
  • Member No: 52933
  • 65 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 09:59 PM

i wonder if the green colored puncture liquid caused the rubber to deteriorate allowing the first layer of cords to come loose inside the tire. this was more common in old tube type tires and i remember cutting the loose cords when we put the tube back in.

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,705 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 10:14 PM

How small are the fibers?

Check your PM's.

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 05:33 AM

My guess would be some kind of reaction between the tire, tire sealant and the liquid fill. 

#12 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 566 Thanks
  • 629 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 07:36 AM

If it looks like a bunch of fine hairs matted together it's probably sealer fibers that was suppose seal fairly good size holes. Over time the liquid broke down leaving the mess you have. It covering every thing because of tire rotation witch it was suppose to do with the fiber suspended in the liquid. And when you get a puncher the fibers was to get sucked into the hole sealing it.  

• johndeereelfman and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#13 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,653 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 08:22 AM

New tire slime is green, BUT, isn't it really sticky after been in awhile?  Burlap, no idea. Maybe guy had many flats with thorns or such, tried to wrap the tube with something to make thicker and resistant to pokes, then the slime to repair itself as it says??  My opinion, a new Wheel would be going on too. That one looks like it could let loose of itself very easy. I would have to blast it, and no telling if it would last thru that or not. Besides, the rough surface is gonna be bad for tube, unless you "Duct Tape" the rim......ha, ha! Had to throw that in with the other post about it. Would think JD parts are easy to find. New wheel needed!

#14 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:20 AM

New tire slime is green, BUT, isn't it really sticky after been in awhile?  Burlap, no idea. Maybe guy had many flats with thorns or such, tried to wrap the tube with something to make thicker and resistant to pokes, then the slime to repair itself as it says??  My opinion, a new Wheel would be going on too. That one looks like it could let loose of itself very easy. I would have to blast it, and no telling if it would last thru that or not. Besides, the rough surface is gonna be bad for tube, unless you "Duct Tape" the rim......ha, ha! Had to throw that in with the other post about it. Would think JD parts are easy to find. New wheel needed!

No, this green stuff wasn't sticky at all. Like I said above, it just reminded me of antifreeze, due to the color and liquid thickness. I didn't remove the opposite side tire as it is holding air fine, but I may have to change my thinking, just to see if it holds the same content. I know these little tractors are light on the front end, and I can understand using the liquid for added weight, but now I'm curious to see if the other side is the same. Just removing the wheel and feeling the weight of it should tell me if it's filled or not.

As for the condition of the rim itself, it really isn't rusted, other than your normal surface rust. I have no worries about the rim condition at all. The brown that you see above around the inside of the rim, is this burlap looking stuff. I scrapped all of that stuff out, and the rim looked good. As I said, I'm really surprised at how well the rim condition was, since having this wet burlap stuff wrapped around it for who knows how many years. I have extra rims that I can use to replace this one, but I don't think it's necessary in this case.