11 replies to this topic

#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,472 Thanks
  • 6,356 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 07:00 PM

Took golf cart out for a ride on trailer for use Fri/sat.   All went good on the way there. Today on way home, was very windy. The Whole back end of cart, where bags would normally go, went flying off into the air, fell into the grill of a Dodge truck in other lane, and flopped back to his windsheild and out into an open feild, shattered into many pieces.  Stopped, got turned around and back to the guy. He was OK. Broken up grill and smashed window tho.  Police came, got the info and we moved on after picking up all the pieces.  Darn thing always set on back find, I didn't have bolted, but kinda wedged under seat brace and by bumper. I liked it loose to be able to take off to mess with engine. I had just gotten diamond place floor and gas cap cover on it last fall. Now all shot!  Had to remember when I bought this at the show last summer, that part was gone. Fella said it was on I-70 somewhere, blew off and they didn't go back. I thought kinda odd, but now Lived that same thing!  And last fall went way up in MI for that part and a front clip, durn!  Well, wondered if I should have tied down, guess I got my answer then, just too late!  I've been going to make a folding seat and or a platform for there, so guess I'll just build the rest  as a cover now too. Oh, well! Dissappointment for week, now on to Plan B.!

• hamman, KennyP, tinbender7 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 07:04 PM

That's too bad. It could have been much worse though. A hard and expensive lesson! 

• tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,665 Thanks
  • 4,214 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 09:30 AM

Good thing you weren't fine for a "leaky load".

Will your insurance be responsible for the other guys damages?

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,662 Thanks
  • 28,314 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 12:27 PM

Sorry to hear it GL. I try so hard to make sure it's all tied down every load, but I'm sure I would've missed that one.

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,461 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 01:06 PM

I worry about loosing stuff off my trailers so I triple check and strap down everything, even seat pans and hoods. I lost a piece of 1/4" tread plate about 2' square several years ago going down I-85 around Columbus, GA and it just missed Dad's windshield who was following with his load just behind me at over 70MPH. since then, I don't take any chances.

• KennyP said thank you

#6 shorty ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,287 Thanks
  • 3,715 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 03:43 PM

I find that I strap more and more. A few close calls is a very good teacher. It could have ended a lot worse than it did.

#7 Cvans OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,318 Thanks
  • 4,913 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 04:02 PM

I have always felt that I wouldn't be able to live with myself if part of my load would hurt someone. People get impatient with me for taking time to tie everything down. Glad to hear that no one was hurt.  

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#8 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,602 Thanks
  • 38,985 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 04:43 PM

Sorry to hear things parted ways. But a very good thing to bring up as folks will be moving tractors around more now!

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#9 UncleWillie ONLINE  

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,449 Thanks
  • 7,615 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 07:33 PM

I get some weird looks from people when I tie things down. If it can come off it gets tied down. I tie down tractor hoods regardless of which way they are on the trailer. I did get home with one a while back that I tied the hood down and when I released the strap the hood fell off on the ground. I doubt it would have made it home even though ti was loaded nose first.

• MH81 said thank you

#10 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 08:51 PM

Sorry to hear this GL but really thankful no one was hurt. Hope everything works out well for you.

#11 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 873 Thanks
  • 417 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 05:10 AM

That is one reason that I LOVE my enclosed trailer...........

• UncleWillie said thank you

#12 sodisr OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9153
  • 648 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 09:52 AM

Wow  GL  glad no one was hurt..   That sounded scary ...   Just a thought about following trailers too.  You never know how the next persons going to tie things down..  Iv'e seen people use twine to strap things down,,  Hold a mattress with their hands on the roof,and drive.. :(

Iv'e only lost one thing off my trailer, It was the steel rod holding the tailgate shut...It still scares me where it went AND,,,It could have went thru a windshield..Now I even tie those down..

Once I ran over one of those folding ATV ramps... Traffic was crowded, no where to swerve,, sounded like a BOMB going off under the truck   Pulled over when I could and found no damage,,,,Thank God.....