• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 02:42 PM

Well that fun ended a bit early... motor has and ugly gear grinding sound now, cam gear bearing would be my guess, but, I knew it needed to be rebuilt, just hoped for a little more time for that, at least I know I have a tractor worth rebuilding a motor to put in it.

I had an lgt100 in another corner of the shop half apart so its now back together with the mower deck under it. Was hopin to rebuild that motor also before putting it to work but sometimes I dont make those decisions I guess... lol

#32 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 07:30 PM

Ouch, gotta hate grinding noises.

#33 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 04:29 AM

Well at least there isnt a hole in the case, I have 10hp and 12hp engines here but the only other 14hp is not from a Ford so my pto setups wont work on it, so Im really hoping it is rebuildable. Plus with only $480 invested for both hydro tractors Im still doing ok, the other one was originally an lgt165 but a PO put a 14hp in it, still runs but it has the oddball pto mounts and smaller output shaft on the crank, dont know what it originated in.

and then there the lgt100 which is working pretty well for now at least, it was $270 and I spent about $80 building an exhaust system on it, the 42" deck came with the lgt145 but it has a complete pto system, sleeve hitch and tiller.

still working on the exhaust...

exhaust1.jpg exhaust2.jpg
  • propane1 said thank you

#34 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 04:21 PM

Nice exhaust .  Is it an open or closed sided tractor?  I was wanting to put an exhaust like that on my LGT 165, because I get some exhaust fumes when I am blowing snow ( I know, bad four letter word ). Any way, mine is a closed sided tractor, was wondering if it would fit by the panel.  Thanks, Noel

#35 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 09:45 PM

All of my fords are openside, but Im sure you could build a similar system on a closed model aswell, even without a muffler yet it is quieter than the original system was.

#36 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 03:12 PM

What size pipe did you use?   Noel

#37 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 04:21 AM

I picked up 1 3/4 id automotive sections from Canadian Tire and welded them together, my exhaust manifold is the bolt on style with 1 5/8 od so I had to make a sleeve so the two fit nice and snug, the store bought sections get it close and a propane torch will heat it enough to make minor adjustments.  I did a similar setup on my Columbia but it just had the screw in pipe manifold and 1 1/2 id worked for that one. Amazing how much quieter it is when the pipe doesnt end in front of you like the stock setup or a stack... still pretty loud if your behind the tractor but I do want to add a muffler under the rear fender, havent found one that would be a nice fit so I might be making that.  

Early in the season when the grass grows fast I spend alot of time on my mower, have 3 acres to cut so for a few weeks it will seem like a full time job, a loud exhaust can get annoying. I'd like to find a gang reel mower so the tractor doesnt need to be a full power all the time but those dont come around in my price range very often.

#38 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 03:40 PM

Thanks, I was thinking about my exhaust again today and figured I would need some kind of flex pipe because the engine is on rubber mounts , not welded in like yours.  i know all about the grass cutting, I have to same amount.  I also figured a muffler from a Farmall Cub would fit under there nicely.  Noel