UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 10:54 AM

Definatly go buy a service manual. It may be something simple. I have a buddy who is a farm tractor guru. We looked at buying a big Long tractor a few years back that had a similar problem. The guy said the dealer told him it would cost a lot of money to fix. My buddy said it would cost about $5. It had a valve that frequently ate the o-ring. (Unfortunately the guy decided it was made of solid gold after we looked at it)  Hopefully yours will be easy.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#32 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 01:47 PM

Well, I talked with the seller yesterday and told him I'd take it to the dealer (fortunately only about 10 miles away) and that I'd like a refund of my purchase price. He said he would as soon as I delivered it.-- He didn't lose anything as he was planning to take it to the dealer anyway, and I saved him the cost of fuel and paying one of his employees to do it.

I've arranged to borrow a friend's truck and take it up in about 30 minutes, so hopefully my problem will be solved after this and I can go look for something else... I've learned a few things from this, and the $150 or so I spent was a heck of a lot better than $7,500!!

Smitty

• olcowhand, MH81, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#33 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 03:28 PM

Sorry Smitty, I was hoping it would be a good deal for you.

#34 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 05:16 PM

Well a $150 lesson is all that bad. Keep looking you will find something.

#35 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 05:47 PM

Sorry Smitty, I was hoping it would be a good deal for you.

Yeah, me too.  It really was a nice tractor--30 hp, power steering, hydrostat... even though it was longer than I was orginally looking for, it still fit into my back yard and was very maneuverable.

Smitty

#36 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,495 Thanks
  • 5,022 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 06:43 PM

Has to be disappointing but it sounds like your on top of it. Will be interesting to hear what the dealer has to say.

#37 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 09:23 AM

Well, the dealer refunded my money yesterday--though it hasn't shown up on my account as of this morning. 

Now to find another machine... Looked at several--really impressed with the Mahindra Max series, which is made by Mitsubishi, not so much the Eco-Max, which is made by Dae Dong.

I drove a Max 25 yesterday--treadle pedal for the hydro, 2 speed range, 25 hp engine, very sharp turning radius.

I also drove a similar Kioti--a CK series, but wasn't as impressed, even though they cost more than the Mahindra. The Kioti's turning radius was at least a foot larger than the Mahindra... the platform didn't fit me very well either (I AM hard to fit into most tractors, being 6' tall and weighing 300 lbs or so.)

I also drove a used Ford 1715. Though a little longer than the Mahindra or the Kioti, it had a VERY small turning radius. It had low hours--350 or so, a FEL and a tiller, and power steering. Unfortunately, it was a gear transmission and kinda hard to maneuver the gear shift when used in loader operations.

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, May 10, 2014 - 09:24 AM.

#38 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,495 Thanks
  • 5,022 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 11:27 AM

I'm sorry your other tractor didn't work out for you but I kind of envy you being able to try out all those other tractors.  :D

#39 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 11:44 PM

I'm sorry your other tractor didn't work out for you but I kind of envy you being able to try out all those other tractors.  :D

Well, I wanted to see how tractors of different wheel bases and lengths handled, esp. turn radius, so I could get an idea of those used tractors that I would be interested in.  I can't afford a new machine, if you don't believe me, just ask my wife... :smilewink:

It's interesting that some of the larger tractors actually have a better turning radius than the small ones.

Anyway, the pursuit continues...

Smitty

#40 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,495 Thanks
  • 5,022 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 11:07 PM

I can't afford a new machine, if you don't believe me, just ask my wife...  :smilewink:

Boy you said a mouth full there! 

• Alc said thank you

#41 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 05:42 AM

At least you can look for a used  machine all I can do is LOOK on cl for them lol ,   Here's one that came up near me that would be a really nice one for me but my wife just laughed when I ask if I could buy it

http://allentown.cra...4464775129.html

#42 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 06:10 AM

At least you can look for a used  machine all I can do is LOOK on cl for them lol ,   Here's one that came up near me that would be a really nice one for me but my wife just laughed when I ask if I could buy it

http://allentown.cra...4464775129.html

The Kubota BX-, the Yanmar SC-, the JD series are all decent machines. I just wish they had a little more ground clearance.

I am a little disappointed in the new Yanmars--only 5 or 6 models in all the series--larger turn radius than similar machines from other brands, etc

Smitty

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kubota, b7800, cut, compact tractor