Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 06:03 PM

Well, all your comments have given me second thoughts.  I called the owner yesterday and told him I wanted the machine before I saw all your comments. He again made reference that if I needed to repair it, it would ONLY cost about $3,000 and I'd still have a good tractor.

I really dont' want to buy a fixer-upper--as most of you know, I have a yard full of them.  I also checked on the price of a new hydro--$2,521.96, so the repairs will be more than $3,000 I suspect as you have to separate the tractor to replace the hydro. $7,000is about the limit of my budget for this right now.

I'm going to get a cost estimate on the repairs from the Kubota dealer and see what THEY say the cost will be.  Then I'll discuss it with the owner again. He's pretty firm on the $7,000 and tt would be real hard to give it any type of time-based test due to it being 70 miles from here. So, I may need to pay the owner an inconvenience fee and keep looking.

Smitty

#17 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53757
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 11:24 PM

Check out ksl add 29756459, maybe in your area. Plus it comes with some goodies, but no FEL
  • Utah Smitty said thank you

#18 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 04:55 AM

Smitty, if that machine has the Kubota hydro in it it is tough as nails!!!!!!! Probably the best in the industry, it could have been low on oilfrom the leaky cylinder?? Just make sure the loader is not tweeked and the bolts are not stripped out on the tractor.

#19 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 08:57 AM

Smitty, if that machine has the Kubota hydro in it it is tough as nails!!!!!!! Probably the best in the industry, it could have been low on oilfrom the leaky cylinder?? Just make sure the loader is not tweeked and the bolts are not stripped out on the tractor.

Thanks, Keith!!!  The machine has 3 ranges, and I'm guessing the person renting it was operating it in too high a range or maybe didn't have the rpms high enough so the hydro got hot.  I did notice that some of the bolts on the loader mount were loose and a few had fallen out where they are bolted vertically from the bottom... I'll have to look at that more carefully.

The loader seems fine-- I didn't look it over with a fine tooth comb, but didn't see any cracks or repairs, bucket was pretty straight.  The RH tilt cylinder is leaking a little, but I can repair that myself.

Regards,

Smitty

#20 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 08:59 AM

Check out ksl add 29756459, maybe in your area. Plus it comes with some goodies, but no FEL

Thanks, Ryan.  I saw that this morning.  It's about the same size as my Bolens, which is a good thing. Unfortunately the Satoh Beaver has a PTO shaft with a proprietary spline, plus it rotates opposite most PTOs...

I also found a Simplicity 9518? which is the equivalent to the Allis Chalmers 5015 up in Rigby, ID. It's 4wd, with 9 speed tranny, has a Bush Hog and grooming mower.  It has 1600 hours on the meter, and the engine smokes when it first starts and the PTO is noisy--per the owner.  He's asking $3,800.

That would actually be a good replacement for my gas engined GTs, except for the manual tranny...

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, May 05, 2014 - 09:03 AM.

#21 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 01:48 PM

You'll find something if your patient. That's what I have a hard time with once I get an idea in my head.  :wallbanging:

Edited by Cvans, May 05, 2014 - 09:31 PM.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#22 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 04:19 PM

Thanks, Ryan.  I saw that this morning.  It's about the same size as my Bolens, which is a good thing. Unfortunately the Satoh Beaver has a PTO shaft with a proprietary spline, plus it rotates opposite most PTOs...

I also found a Simplicity 9518? which is the equivalent to the Allis Chalmers 5015 up in Rigby, ID. It's 4wd, with 9 speed tranny, has a Bush Hog and grooming mower.  It has 1600 hours on the meter, and the engine smokes when it first starts and the PTO is noisy--per the owner.  He's asking $3,800.

That would actually be a good replacement for my gas engined GTs, except for the manual tranny...

Smitty

I test drove a new 5015 back in the day and they have all fwd gears synchronized, I ended up buying a 5020 instead and have had it since 1984, good machine almost no issues in 30 yrs, however they are dated, no hydro, no power steer, and parts could be an issue.

#23 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 10:16 PM

i stopped by and looked at this tractor today if it were me i wouldn't go for it until i had it checked at the dealer and he dropped the price it has several bolts for the loader missing and others are loose plus someone has been into the rear end before all the paint at the seems is chipped plus the housing around the rear pto has been siliconed.

• Cvans, Utah Smitty and HDWildBill have said thanks

#24 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 07:41 AM

I test drove a new 5015 back in the day and they have all fwd gears synchronized, I ended up buying a 5020 instead and have had it since 1984, good machine almost no issues in 30 yrs, however they are dated, no hydro, no power steer, and parts could be an issue.

I did a search for parts for the 5015, and found that there's very little available new--mainly filters, water pump and a few gaskets.  The 5020 OTOH has a bigger selection available, so you should be able to keep going for a while.

Smitty

• Cvans said thank you

#25 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 08:13 AM

This is the problem with any of the Hinomoto rebadged machines,,,, little to no parts.  Hinomoto went out of biz in the 80's/90's and the process started.  A Hinomoto "cross" would be the C174, not everything fits but it gives more selection.  Good tractors otherwise,,, I would not advise buying any of the Hinomoto machines due to parts issues.  Even with 1075hrs on mine I have been contemplating trading off before something bad happens to it.

• Cvans said thank you

#26 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 10:17 AM

Smitty, I just saw this. One thing that rings alarm bells for me is the worn out front tires. That tells me the machine was run a lot in 4wd and maybe run in 4wd while on pavement which wears the tires and puts a lot of strain on the drivetrain. When properly weighted you very seldom need 4wd for loader work IME unless you are in rough terrain or mud etc. 

#27 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 04:00 PM

I have a 5010 in rough shape but I just love it.Shifting gears is effortless and one would have to try hard to grind a gear.Steers very easy without PS.I keep looking for a 4wd with a bad engine so I can make a swap.

#28 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 10:32 PM

Well, I've been served up a double serving of crow...

I was really torn, but finally decided to buy the tractor.  The owner said they had had a local Kubota dealer look at it (didn't open anything up), and said they just recommended and oil and filter change and to adjust the travel pedel.

As NBent said, there were a LOT of bolts missing from the loader mount--over a dozen.  I had several metric bolts that I replaced them with.

The hydro filter has grooves around the base near where it mounts to the case--like they used a set of plier-type oil filter wrench on it.

I roaded it for about 3 miles to my garden spot--with just a 6 foot scraper on it... after about 15 minutes it started to slow down... the engine kept up speed, but the hydro started to whine so it was the hydro acting up...

I felt the transmission case and the filters and they were lukewarm... it makes me wonder if there is a relief valve that is stuck partly open... the cold oil still gets enough pressure to operate things, but as it warms up--even just a little, it doesn't have enough pressure to keep it going.

<Sigh> I should have just listened to you all...  Oh, Well!!!!

Smitty

#29 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 11:59 PM

Congratulations on your new tractor.  A plugged filter should work better as the the oil heats up. You could be right about the relief valve leaking by though. One thing about a tractor that size if you need to split it you can do it yourself. I would think there should be a pressure tap on that hydro somewhere to check the oil pressure. One thing is for sure, investing an a service manual would be a good thing. 

I'm pretty sure the 3 point backhoe I purchased last year was a rental. worked good when it was cold but gets weak and settles as the oil warms up. Just about sure I get to buy a new valve bank this spring. Just part of the game. 

You'll figure it out and you might get buy for a lot less than you thought. :thumbs:

Good luck.

Edited by Cvans, May 07, 2014 - 12:00 AM.

#30 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 09:12 AM

Congrats on the new machine!  As said get a service manual and a good pressure gage.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kubota, b7800, cut, compact tractor