Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 10:02 AM

As many of you know, I've been searching for a CUT for several months.  I decided to spend Friday visiting new tractor dealerships to see what they had, prices, and to compare machines.  AND, I hoped I might get lucky and find a used tractor. I had to help a friend out in a town 70 miles north of me, but I knew there were a lot of tractor dealerships there.

I test drove several machines-- including 2 Mahindras--a Mahindra Maxx and an e-Maxx.  The Maxx has a Mitsubishi engine, while the eMaxx has a Daedong engine.  I didn't like the operator's position on the eMaxx as the pedals were right where I wanted to put my feet.  Both were pretty impressive little machines, although, being Mahindra's challenge to the Kubota BX series, they only had about 6-7" of ground clearance.

I also looked at a M-F 1526. IMG_20140502_140859_1721.jpg

IMG_20140502_141151_0491.jpg

It was an impressive machine--26 hp, controls easy to reach, 2 speed hydro, etc.  It's made by Iseki, so it's good quality.  I would buy this machine if I could afford it.

I also looked over a Yanmar 2620?. It's in the same league as the Mahindras and Kubota BX26- series.

Prices were in the $13,000 to $16,000 range.

As I was leaving town, I noticed an equipment rental yard.  Taking a cue from Pager450, I went in and asked if they had any compact tractors for sale....

Turns out they did.

They have a Kubota B7800--30 gross hp with HST, power steering, and a LA402 loader. Time on the 4 digit hour meter was 789 hours.  The engine started easily--no blue smoke, and ran well.  The loader was off the machine at the time, but they allowed me to test drive the tractor.

I was surprised at the sharp turning radius, and the operator's platform was very comfortable.  I'm not a big fan of Kubota's travel pedals for the hydro, but I figured I could modify them more to my liking.

One thing that I didn't care for was that it was almost impossible to use the steering brakes and press the hydro pedal at the same time.  I did try it, but wasn't sure I was pressing hard enough to actually use them.

Another odd thing--after I used the steer pedal, the tractor would "jump" a bit when I pressed the rear hydro--kind of like it engaged all of a sudden.  This gradually went away as I drove the machine.  I'm thinking that maybe the brake mechanism was connected to the hydro pedal and that maybe it hadn't been lubed recently so the brake mechanism didn't fully return after I used it. 

If this is a more serious problem than I realize, please let me know.

There was a small amount of hydro whine, but it didn't seem to be excessive.

There are a few issues.  I crawled under the machine and looked for leaks, etc.   I noticed that several of the mounting bolts for the loader had come out of their holes.  The loader has one tilt cylinder that has a slight leak.  Reading up on tractordata.com, I found that the lights on these machines are merely taillight bulbs in a reflector--so auxiliary lights may be in order.  I also didn't see any hydraulics to the rear of the machine, but maybe I didn't look carefully enough.

It has R4-type tires on it, and the front tires are pretty worn. Plus, someone mounted one tire backwards.  New tires are $130 each, so I didn't fret too much about it.

The store owner said he would sell it to me for $7,000--which I thought was a fair price.

Anyway, here's some pictures, lest anyone chew me out for not uploading them...

IMG_20140502_144455_0281.jpg IMG_20140502_144518_9071.jpg IMG_20140502_144548_1791.jpg

Any comments?  Anyone own a B7800?  What is your impression of them?

Regards,

Smitty

• MH81, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 10:52 AM

Nice looking machine for a rental place. 800 hours is low time. Did you happen to inquire if there were an known issues. You might ask if you can take it to a Kubota dealer and have them look at it. Will probably cost you something but might save you a lot of money down the road. 

Wish I had more to offer.

Good luck.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#3 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 12:54 PM

Nice looking machine for a rental place. 800 hours is low time. Did you happen to inquire if there were an known issues. You might ask if you can take it to a Kubota dealer and have them look at it. Will probably cost you something but might save you a lot of money down the road. 

Wish I had more to offer.

Good luck.

Thanks, Chris.  The owner mentioned that a customer had been using it and reported that it seemed to lose power after working it hard for about 4 hours. I think they may have had it in too high a gear for what they were doing...

The nearest dealer is 50 miles from the rental place so it's a bit of a logistics problem--but it may be worth it.

Regards,

Steve

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 01:12 PM

Is the rental place willing to take it back if you get it home and it doesn't perform like you expect?  Or maybe you can use some of what you found as a bargaining tool and get it a little cheaper to cover any cost's you may incur, like the leaking cylinder.

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#5 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,776 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 03:23 PM

If they offer any kind of warranty it would be a huge plus

• MH81 said thank you

#6 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 03:32 PM

Not to change subject but whats is a CUT

#7 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 03:33 PM

The nearest dealer is 50 miles from the rental place so it's a bit of a logistics problem--but it may be worth it.

century equipment on tenth west is a kubota dealer now 

#8 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 03:33 PM

Compact Utility Tractor

• HDWildBill said thank you

#9 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 04:43 PM

Rent it for a week or three and put in the contract that the rental is applied to the purchase price, they shouldn't have issue and its a win/win for both of you!

• Texas Deere and Horse, HowardsMF155, trowel and 3 others have said thanks

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 04:58 PM

Rent it for a week or three and put in the contract that the rental is applied to the purchase price, they shouldn't have issue and its a win/win for both of you!

That's what i would do too.

#11 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 05:16 PM

:iagree:  or even a day and work the piss out of it. If it is slowing down after being worked for a while I would be worried that the hydro pump may be showing signs of wear. As the oil gets warmer the hydro will slow down. The same if the control valve is leaking by.

• HDWildBill and UncleWillie have said thanks

#12 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 11:45 PM

CUT is short for Compact Utility Tractor-- basically the smaller ag tractors like the Ford 1300 and 1500, the Yanmar YM1862, the Kubota B7100, B2100, etc.

Then there's the SCUT, which stands for Sub-compact Utility Tractor... This is the Kubota BX series, the Yanmar SC series, etc.

Smitty

• HDWildBill and superspeedex have said thanks

#13 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 11:47 PM

century equipment on tenth west is a kubota dealer now 

Is that in Salt Lake, Nelson??? For me, the closest dealer is Sunset Kubota, but the closest dealer for the tractor is also Sunset Kubota, but the tractor's up in your neck of the woods.

Smitty

#14 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 12:03 AM

Is that in Salt Lake, Nelson??? For me, the closest dealer is Sunset Kubota, but the closest dealer for the tractor is also Sunset Kubota, but the tractor's up in your neck of the woods.

Smitty

yah century equipment on tenth west in logan is a dealer i bet thats where it was bought from and they might look it over for you 

#15 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 08:33 AM

CUT is short for Compact Utility Tractor-- basically the smaller ag tractors like the Ford 1300 and 1500, the Yanmar YM1862, the Kubota B7100, B2100, etc.

Then there's the SCUT, which stands for Sub-compact Utility Tractor... This is the Kubota BX series, the Yanmar SC series, etc.

Smitty

I figured it was something along those lines but wasnt sure

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kubota, b7800, cut, compact tractor