8 replies to this topic

#1 loustar OFFLINE  

loustar
  • Member No: 56568
  • 3 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 05:41 PM

Hi

I'm Lou.  I have been driving a old Ford 120 for about twenty years.  It is a Hydro static last year it died as in stopped moving.  I grabbed another one with a four speed and switched decks and I'm mowing with it-- but--I want my old Hydro back.  I retired over the winter and now I have the time to work on the Fords I have collected to keep me busy when I retired.

I have a couple or other Hydro's that I could switch out but I want to tackle fixing this one.

1.  I did have it fixed once and it only ran about ten hours before its demise.  This guy told me it was made by peerless.  Where can I find a manual for that transmission?  Before I run off half cocked what should I check that may be obvious trouble shooting without tearing into it?

2.  The deck that I have been using just all of a sudden started throwing its belt.  I got a new one and after it threw it twice I quit.  can't afford to replace it again.  I suspect that it is an alignment problem but how do I check to see which pulley needs the adjustment?

I guess I'm a average backyard mechanic.  Anyways great to be on-board and I look forward to hearing from some of the members.  Thanks See ya  Lou

Edited by loustar, May 02, 2014 - 06:59 PM.

• Gabriel and propane1 have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 05:53 PM

:wave: Hi, Lou! Welcome to the forum! We may need more info on your Ford to figure out  things. Have you got a model #?

#3 loustar OFFLINE  

loustar
  • Member No: 56568
  • 3 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 06:55 PM

Hi

I believe the Tractor was made by Jacobsen, but it is marked Ford 120, Motor is a K301, Deck is aluminum by Woods and I was told the Transmission was by Peerless.  I think all of them were from about 1966 to about 1972 all were made before the Light series.  I've been stuffing these old Fords away for years.   Leads me to another question, what other brand names were made by Jacobsen that would be identical to the Ford 120?  Thanks for getting back to me FORDohloic.  See ya  Lou

Edited by loustar, May 02, 2014 - 07:01 PM.

• Gabriel said thank you

#4 AlleyKatz51 OFFLINE  

AlleyKatz51
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 55758
  • 41 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 08:14 PM

Lou - Welcome to the asylum. As FORDoholic noted it would be good to have more info. Is there still a model/serial number plate. Also pictures are very helpful. I had one of these apart about a hundred years ago and actually got it going again but it wasn't a fun job. Have you checked all the simple stuff? Drive belts, fluid level, linkage etc. I am not sure which manual would apply but there are lots available here under the "Manuals" tab at the top of the page. I looked at the Ford 120 parts book and it showed the hydro but not the breakdown of it. It may be the same as the Jake Chief which does show a breakdown. Someone on here knows these things and will chime in soon. Again welcome and good luck.

Chuck

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,112 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 08:21 PM

You have a nice tractor there. I wish I could help, but my fords are a little newer than yours , plus I am just a back yard mechanic, so my thoughts would be , is the hydro low on fluid. Belt guides for the deck and motor driving it are very important. Just some thoughts, and welcome to here, I know some more replies are coming your way soon from more members. Hope you enjoy, Noel.

#6 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 09:47 PM

WELCOME!

#7 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 04:41 AM

Lou - Welcome to the asylum. As FORDoholic noted it would be good to have more info. Is there still a model/serial number plate. Also pictures are very helpful. I had one of these apart about a hundred years ago and actually got it going again but it wasn't a fun job. Have you checked all the simple stuff? Drive belts, fluid level, linkage etc. I am not sure which manual would apply but there are lots available here under the "Manuals" tab at the top of the page. I looked at the Ford 120 parts book and it showed the hydro but not the breakdown of it. It may be the same as the Jake Chief which does show a breakdown. Someone on here knows these things and will chime in soon. Again welcome and good luck.

Chuck

Chuck, the Jake Chief would be the same as far as the Hydro goes. Going to go pick one up this morning as a matter of fact.

#8 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 1,106 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 05:34 AM

Hi
I'm Lou.  I have been driving a old Ford 120 for about twenty years.  It is a Hydro static last year it died as in stopped moving.  I grabbed another one with a four speed and switched decks and I'm mowing with it-- but--I want my old Hydro back.  I retired over the winter and now I have the time to work on the Fords I have collected to keep me busy when I retired.
I have a couple or other Hydro's that I could switch out but I want to tackle fixing this one.
1.  I did have it fixed once and it only ran about ten hours before its demise.  This guy told me it was made by peerless.  Where can I find a manual for that transmission?  Before I run off half cocked what should I check that may be obvious trouble shooting without tearing into it?
2.  The deck that I have been using just all of a sudden started throwing its belt.  I got a new one and after it threw it twice I quit.  can't afford to replace it again.  I suspect that it is an alignment problem but how do I check to see which pulley needs the adjustment?
I guess I'm a average backyard mechanic.  Anyways great to be on-board and I look forward to hearing from some of the members.  Thanks See ya  Lou

Hey lou, I suspect the tranny would be a peerless, but cant say for certain without numbers. There are manuals on that in the manuals section tab at the top of the page.

The deck may have a spindle bearing or two going bad. They easiest way to check the spindles is to remove the belt, and then grab the drive pulleys on each one, and try to wiggle it. No wiggle (play) - it's good. If it does wiggle, chances are the bearings, races, or both are headed south. The idler pulleys will need to be checked the same way, and if play is found, they too will need to be replaced. The bearings, and pulleys are common parts, and can be found at any implement store, and some hardware stores.

Best of luck.

#9 67ford120 OFFLINE  

67ford120
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 14431
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 12:23 PM

i have a ford 120 of 67 or 68 vintage and the hydro in mine is a sunstrand model 90-2029. i could not find info on that unit, even searching the sunstrand industrial site. closest thing i found was the series 15. not sure if this helps, but i would download the various hydro manuals on this site and go looking at what you have. clean the grease and dirt off the unit, you may find a data plate from the oem on it. gerry