• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 04:08 PM

yeah doc i am going to use parts store  belts to clean up the grooves first then get a set of good ones, the deck belt i have an old one to clean up the pullies with and a friend can get some kevlar belts through a supplier for cheap and all i pay extra is the shipping , going this route will save me $15 on the deck belt . after some further looking  i find the caster to be rusty but very low use with almost no auger damage like new cutting edge and like new skids with a very good gearbox

#17 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 06:35 PM

your best bet is to wire wheel or clean the sheaves with emery cloth.

Any rust in those sheaves will tear any belt no matter what quality it is,  it does not take much......

#18 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 03:55 PM

the high have been cleaned up so we will see how these gates take the old girl the deck belt should be good

#19 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 05:21 PM

this is the first video we took with bad belts and no deck

Attached File  Bolens EK 10 Estate Keeper Articlulating Mower..wmv   37.95MB   34 downloads

Edited by bolex, May 15, 2014 - 05:22 PM.

• Newpaws493 said thank you

#20 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 11:07 AM

now i have a question for anyone with a tra 10d .after the engine gets hot it starts running rough and will shut down after it cools off it will start and run fine till it gets up to running temp and then it will do it again if i add 2stroke oil it seems to help .WHAT's the problem ? the flywheel and fins are clean and seems to have good airflow , i'm not running it lean and the fuel is fresh and even put a heat shield between the muffler and the fuel line to stop vapor lock as this happened and i thought it was the running problem but it still makes a rattling sound and shuts down , could this be a valve lock problem (the block gets hot ,expands and tightens the valve guide and locks the valve so it can't move)  :mad2:  :wallbanging:

#21 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 03:07 PM

Sounds like your going to have to do some inspecting..... Only way to know for sure is to take it apart.

#22 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 04:21 PM

That sounds like a coil that is closing when it gets hot.  I am not familiar with that unit but does it use the old tractor style coil on it?  Those will do just what you are describing.

#23 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 04:39 PM

Scratch what I just said in my previous post, while reading too fast I thought you said it sounded like it was seizing up :wallbanging:

I would check your coil out like IHCubGuy mentioned.

#24 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 08:09 PM

seizing is the correct term the piston does not lock up one or both valves are i think, the crank will just move and the piston also but you can feel the cam gear stop the crank but will rotate backwards till it comes around to what i think it the exhaust valve so it think the exhaust valve is sticking say half way open and stops the rotation of the engine . it does seem better today maybe it just needs to be run back in to get enough lube up in the guide ,but if it doesn't there is another TRA10D in the storage building just don't tell my brother where his worked over engine went "he got this engine with a 1050, bored it, new piston/rod , bearings the whole 9 yards rebuilt then ran it and claimed it ran to hot but i remember that that engine didn't get as hot as the one i have now " although i may try a full synthetic oil to help lube the valves and see if that works first . really don't want to tear the engine down if all it needs is some lube in the guide :smilewink:

#25 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 08:13 PM

the coil maybe i will swap it with a new delco i have it's got a motorcraft coil and wire and i am not a ford fan all ford parts MUST GO :thumbs:

• Cat385B said thank you

#26 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 08:57 PM

well it comes down to what i finally noticed in the course of inspecting the engine and surrounding area , an uncommon enemy in most GT's , VAPOR LOCK , i am going to have to reroute the fuel hose but there is so little space with all the sheaves and tensioners that i may not have much room for error as lines can move when on rough ground . a fuel cooler loop in front of the engine may help, run the fuel around the left side of the engine to the cooler loop then along the right side to the carb :thumbs:

#27 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 09:19 PM

well it comes down to what i finally noticed in the course of inspecting the engine and surrounding area , an uncommon enemy in most GT's , VAPOR LOCK , i am going to have to reroute the fuel hose but there is so little space with all the sheaves and tensioners that i may not have much room for error as lines can move when on rough ground . a fuel cooler loop in front of the engine may help, run the fuel around the left side of the engine to the cooler loop then along the right side to the carb :thumbs:

Where is your line routed now?

#28 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 09:28 PM

from the nipple it goes about 2 inches to the filter then curves around the top of the coil then under a heat shield i made fore the muffler then to the carb . i may reposition the coil on the other side by the dipstick to give more room for air circulation .

#29 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 09:35 PM

from the nipple it goes about 2 inches to the filter then curves around the top of the coil then under a heat shield i made fore the muffler then to the carb . i may reposition the coil on the other side by the dipstick to give more room for air circulation .

Sounds like its in the right position, It should not be heating the fuel enough to cause vapor lock. None of the 3 I have ever vapor locked on me..

#30 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 06:07 PM

i think that its the heat generated by the coil so it may be the first to go cause it gets hot and i mean HOT and i don't think they should get that hot . and with the way the line lays on the coil it is possible that is the cause of the vapor lock.