• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 copyhere OFFLINE  

copyhere
  • Member No: 56510
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 05:52 AM

Hi, I got this at a junk sale and have been able to get the motor running its a Clinton 4.5 hp
The trouble I'm having is with the long belt that goes to the transmission in the rear it seems like there might be a pulley missing somewhere because the tension is not tight enough and when you operate the clutch the belt falls off. If anyone knows anything about this model I could post a picture of the bottom of it .
Thanks

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 06:01 AM

:welcometogttalk: :wewantpics: Pics of your problem would be helpful.

#3 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 06:39 AM

:welcometogttalk: yep, pics may be helpful and I think we need to know more about the transmission...

is this your tractortype m7lQ4lsl0LWr_w_u7hMh2Uw.jpg

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,531 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 06:50 AM

Welcome to GTT. Good Luck, Rick

#5 copyhere OFFLINE  

copyhere
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 07:45 AM

Thanks for your replies,

Here is a picture of the bottom of it. It seems like there should be another pulley where the central shaft has 2 wear marks on it.

but thats just a guess.

Attached Thumbnails

• belt.jpg

#6 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 09:43 AM

It seems like there should be another pulley where the central shaft has 2 wear marks on it.

but thats just a guess.

There are 2 idler pulleys on that Springfield model.  ....One idler is to engage the blade drive, the other idler pulley is between the engine pulley and the transmission pulley.

Since the engine and idler pulleys are horizontal and the transmission pulley is vertical, the belt must operate with a twist in it.  ....It appears in your photo that the belt may be installed incorrectly.  ....I believe the belt should NOT be rubbing against the central shaft, and that is what caused the wear marks.

If the idler pulley is flat (instead of having a vee-groove) which yours appears to be, the pulley must ride on the outside of the belt.  ....(An idler pulley with a vee-groove is intended to ride on the inside of a belt.)    

I would suggest trying to re-route your belt to the opposite side of the central shaft, and relocating the idler pulley to the outside of the belt. 

If you find the drive works opposite to what it should, the twist in the belt needs to be reversed. 

It is possible that your belt is not the correct size.  ...The Springfield part # for the transmission drive belt was # 60A-42, and it was described as a "special" belt.  ....An interchange shows it as a Gates SPECIAL Belt # 7J88-11 which is 1/2" x 59-3/4".   ....It is doubtful you will find this exact belt.

#7 copyhere OFFLINE  

copyhere
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions Bruce . I checked out what you said about the idler pulley and it does have a v groove in it. So rerouting the belt will not work. So I am going to try a new belt matching the dimensions you posted I found This one and will try it.

Oregon 75-974 Replacement Belt for John Deere M88184, 1/2-inch x 59-3/4-inch

I would like to get a manual if anybody knows where to get one I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

#8 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,874 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 06:51 PM

WELCOME TO GTT NICE TO SEE  ANOTHER JERSEY GUY ON BOARD

#9 copyhere OFFLINE  

copyhere
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 04:27 PM

I installed a new belt and I have the same problem when releasing the pressure on the idler pulley the belt just drops down off the pulley.
It seems like there possibly should be a retainer guide type of thing like the engine pulley has on it to prevent the belt from falling down.
The belt is driving the trans good the problem is when you want to put it in gear from nuetral. I am tempted to rig something up just to make it work but I Would rather have it work the way it was originally supposed to. If anyone has any idea about this I would appreciate the help.
Thanks

#10 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 08:26 PM

I can't help with a manual for your model 60A, because I don't have one.  ....I do have a parts breakdown, but it does not show the proper belt routing.

According to the parts sheet, there are only two belt guides for the drive belt. ...Your machine has both.  ....One is at the rear near the trans, the other is at the engine pulley.  ....There is no belt guide at the idler pulley.

I still believe your problem is the way the belt is installed.  ...It should not rub against the center shaft. 

Looking at a manual for a 63A (2 years newer), the idler pulley is on the outside of the belt, not the inside of the belt as in your pic above.

Looking at your pic posted above, move the "lower" part of the belt (from the bottom of the trans pulley)  to the "upper" side of the idler pulley.  ...This will place the idler pulley on the outside of the belt. 

.....The "upper" half of the belt should go from the engine pulley to the trans pulley without touching the idler pulley.  ....This will move the belt away from the center shaft, so no contact is made there.

Where in NJ are you?  ....I'm in Somerset county.

Edited by Bruce Dorsi, May 07, 2014 - 08:27 PM.

#11 copyhere OFFLINE  

copyhere
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 08:46 PM

Thanks Bruce,
For the reply. I'm in Elizabeth, I got this tractor in grigstown at a farm having a junk sale.
I have tried the belt routed the way you say and different ways. the way it is in the picture is how it looks after it falls off the idler.
I'm think I will have to dismantle the entire mechanism from the pedal linkages to the pulley and see if there is. Too much free play and slop in the whole thing causing the problem. I will take a better picture showing how it goes before it falls off when you engage the clutch.