• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Husky OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 915 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 11:37 AM

As usual, I say pay what it is worth to you. His price is not totally out of the park. I paid more for my 1886 and my little tube frame loader and my large frame chipper than most anyone else would have. They were worth it to me.

• Oldford said thank you

#17 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,641 Thanks
  • 1,742 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 11:14 PM

Hi all! I'm looking at a nice Bolens HT23 with Johnson 14 FEL, rear tiller and hydraulic plow. Tractor looks to be in great shape. Seller has the original front wheels / tires. He says the tractor runs and drives and operates very well. He says it does not have an electric PTO nor a 3 pt hitch. He also says it does not have power steering. Seller has offered it to me for $2500. I was wondering what you experts thought of that price? Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Is it easy enough to add power steering to this tractor? Expensive to do so? Also - how hard to find a 2 stage snowblower?

I paid $3,500 for a similar vintage HT23 with a Brantly Loader, tiller, and rear scraper blade.  I thought it was too much at the time, and did have to do some changes--like narrower tires on the front to help it steer easier (8" 4 lug trailer tires did the trick). But, I recently sold it and pretty much broke even, so I think $2,500 is quite reasonable IF the machine is in good operating condition.

#18 Husky OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 915 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 11:31 AM

I put a joystick on my HT23 and really like it better than the two levers on my 1556 loader. I wonder if the hour meter still works on that tractor you could see how many hours are on it. Seems like most of those old meters don't work. From the pics it looks pretty nice.

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,652 Thanks
  • 1,682 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 11:01 PM

I'd say it's worth it, a small loader like that is one of the handiest machines anyone can have, I had a Ford LGT165 with Brantly loader and backhoe, the tractor finally gave up (was owned by a trenching company and was used really hard) and I sold the loader and then modified the backhoe to fit my Kubota L2000, I still miss the ford because you can get into tighter places then my 20hp Kubota.

I also got a Bolens HT23 I just got it running and haven't used it yet, but I will say this is the heaviest garden tractor I've ever seen and I bet they can handle a loader well.

I would say it's worth the $2500,

Keep us updated :thumbs:

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#20 sodisr OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9153
  • 648 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 08:56 AM

There's an  H T 23 in my neiborhood going for  $ 2.000          Nice looking tractor...  It's in the wisconsin area...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: johnson 14, ht23, bolens, large frame