• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Fryeburg500 OFFLINE  

Fryeburg500
  • Member No: 56497
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 10:31 AM

Hi all! I'm looking at a nice Bolens HT23 with Johnson 14 FEL, rear tiller and hydraulic plow. Tractor looks to be in great shape. Seller has the original front wheels / tires. He says the tractor runs and drives and operates very well. He says it does not have an electric PTO nor a 3 pt hitch. He also says it does not have power steering. Seller has offered it to me for $2500. I was wondering what you experts thought of that price? Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Is it easy enough to add power steering to this tractor? Expensive to do so? Also - how hard to find a 2 stage snowblower?

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• HT23 1.jpg
  • HT23 2.jpg
  • HT23 3.jpg

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 10:47 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Someone will be along to answer your questions.

#3 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 10:57 AM

The loader it's self can sell for $1500 to the rite buyer. That's what I paid for mine years ago. I think it's a fair price for the package. I'm sure some will say it's too much
Power steering can be added IF you can find a nos or used set up. My HT 23 without power steering does ok without it.
2 stage blowers pop up at times but aren't real common.

If I was looking for another HT-23 I'd pay that price without thinking about it. As long as it is what he says.

Edited by NJKen, May 01, 2014 - 11:00 AM.

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 11:01 AM

Welcome to GTT. You can download from our Manuals Section (3 free per day). The only way to know about the machine is to test drive and operate it. Good Luck, Rick

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 11:03 AM

Welcome to GTTalk. It looks to be in good condition. That is something to keep in mind. if it has been well maintained it's going to cost you a lot less in the long run than a tractor that is in poor condition.

#6 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 11:05 AM

Also they never had or offered or offered a electric PTO. Most attachments offered were shaft driven, either front or rear.

Cat 0 3 point hitches can be bought. I've seen new ones for sale. Not cheap but they are available. Used ones pop up once in a while too.

#7 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 11:35 AM

The pto on that tractor is mechanical. Look to see that it is there. The spline shaft will be sticking out of the front axle just below the bottom of the hood. The spline shaft goes both towards the front and the other end points towards the back. If the frames are not cracked just below the engine and the loader is in good working order the price is not too bad. Just look it over well and make sure it was not abused too much with that loader on it. 

#8 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 02:05 PM

Loaders seem to put extra stress on every part of these little tractors.

• JDBrian said thank you

#9 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,183 Thanks
  • 5,209 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 06:05 PM

Looks like the hydraulic levers has been reworked and who knows what else. I see the dash is busted most HT23 dash are like that now adays.   What its worth is what your willing to pay in my book I would not pay that much because I never have for any of my stuff and I have some nice units.    $1500 is top price for a very nice loader in great shape then is the tractor worth $1000 I say no Its not a 2389s with cruise, power steering, and hydraulic cooler.  

#10 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 06:22 PM

HT23 tractors are not that common in Maine (I grew up there, which is how I have an opinion about that.) Like Ken said, as a package deal and providing the tractor has not been abused and the loader works as it should, $2500 is a reasonable price.
  • NJKen said thank you

#11 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,346 Thanks
  • 1,756 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 08:02 PM

Gotta agree with Ken and LP,as a package deal thats a fair price

• NJKen said thank you

#12 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 08:34 PM

then is the tractor worth $1000 I say no Its not a 2389s with cruise, power steering, and hydraulic cooler.  

You somehow missed the tiller and front blade.

Figure $250.00 for the tiller, $150.00 for the blade, and that brings to cost of the tractor to $600.00.

Sounds like a very decent priced package.

• LPBolens, Texas Deere and Horse, blackjackjakexxix and 1 other said thanks

#13 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 10:43 PM

To me the loader control valve looks like it is one that can control both the lift and tilt cylinders. Personally I think that would be a better setup then the stock two control levers.

Edited by Texas Deere and Horse, May 01, 2014 - 11:13 PM.
Removed hidden content.

• wilberj said thank you

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 04:36 AM

I have o opinion on the value of the unit other than it appears to be a nice package to someone who knows nothing about Bolens,
I just wanted to stop in to say :welcome: and mention that those appear to be Massey wheel weights. :anyone:

#15 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 07:57 AM

I think that is a decent package deal as well. Also, the controls on the loader would probably be more convenient with a single lever (I've used plenty of both and prefer the single joystick). I realize it is an earlier model HT23 without all the extra's (cruise, power steering, cooler) - but that shouldn't matter a bunch with value. As long as it's all original and taken care of I wouldn't have a problem spending that much. You probably won't find to many garden tractors with loaders that'll go for that price, and if you do - they won't be as heavily built as the HT23.

Good luck on your decision. 

Nick

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: johnson 14, ht23, bolens, large frame