#1 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,886 Thanks
  • 2,793 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 08:43 AM

EVER HAVE A MACHINE YOU WERE AFRAID  OF ?   MINE  WAS A ROTO  TILLER WE OWNED IN THE 1950S   WITH THE  ATTITUDE AND POWER OF GODZILLA                        KENNY P INSPIRED ME TO START THIS THREAD WITH HIS TILLER THANKS KEN FOR REMINDING ME.

• KennyP, boyscout862 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#2 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,442 Thanks
  • 3,990 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 08:49 AM

can't remember... but I think, I always had respect, not fear, of the threshing machine

• HANKG said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 08:51 AM

I can tell you I Won't be running this thing!

• boyscout862 and HANKG have said thanks

#4 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 09:01 AM

EVER HAVE A MACHINE YOU WERE AFRAID  OF ?   MINE  WAS A ROTO  TILLER WE OWNED IN THE 1950S   WITH THE  ATTITUDE AND POWER OF GODZILLA                        KENNY P INSPIRED ME TO START THIS THREAD WITH HIS TILLER THANKS KEN FOR REMINDING ME.

Did your rototiller look like this one? This one is a beast and it's just about unstoppable, it will eat rocks that would normally stall a smaller tiller.

Attached Thumbnails

• frazer.jpg

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 09:03 AM

I'm a little afraid of all machines. My father and both grandfathers were carpenters. They all died with both eyes and all fingers intact. A little fear can be good. Its usually just your good sense trying to prevent you from doing something stupid.

My scariest machine is my chainsaw. I will not use it in slippery nor windy conditions. Good Luck, Rick
  • HDWildBill, HANKG and Bill 76 have said thanks

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 09:28 AM

I believe any machine has to be treated with respect. A momentary lapse in concentration will hurt you.

As far as the front tine tiller mentioned, I have seen much bigger and stronger men than I pull muscles and hurt themselves trying to wrestle them. They buck & and bounce and jerk you around.   However they are a manageable and very useful tool if used with the right technique.  If you let them dig a hole till the tine spindle is below the centerline then they are trying to climb out of the hole and are working against themselves and will chew up the earth and are manageable(proper adjustment of the drag is mandatry too). Provided they do not hit a rock or solid object that will lift them above the centerline of the spindle.

I prefer and own a rear tine tiller, but they too can launch themselves and be jumpy if you take too big a bite.  Taking a little bite and multiple passes are the key to running them.

• KennyP, JDBrian, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#7 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 10:05 AM

For me the tiller is the hardest one to work on. Especially the smaller ones that use a centrifugal clutch.  Trying to set the carburetor high speed adjustment with the tine's spinning and the vibration from the engine, then having to watch the tines so they don't contact anything.  I probably need to build me some kind of adjustable jig to hold them in place to work on then like I have for the weedeaters. 

I also agree with Rick, a chainsaw is the scariest piece of equipment I own and use.  Things can go south so quickly with one and you really have to stay on top of the game when you use one.

• KennyP, boyscout862 and HANKG have said thanks

#8 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 10:51 AM

The scariest piece of equipment I use is my cordwood saw rig,  That has a spinning 6 inch flat belt, and a 30" open saw blade spinning just outboard of your fingers.  As others have said, my chain saw is the next scariest.  

• olcowhand, MH81, HDWildBill and 4 others have said thanks

#9 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,886 Thanks
  • 2,793 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 10:52 AM

Yep the one  we had was front tine like I told Kenny you didn't run it ; it ran you

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 11:12 AM

As a boy we had a Merry Tiller front tine and that thing would beat you silly but I was never afraid of it. Log splitters scare me. Especially if 2 people are operating one. It's too easy for a mistake to happen. Not too far from here, a few years ago, a surgeon had her hand severed while using a log splitter with her husband. Chain saws are dangerous but proper technique and protective gear take a lot of the danger out of using one. What scares me is my neighbor in his shorts and sneakers using a chain saw!

• HDWildBill, boyscout862 and HANKG have said thanks

#11 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 11:16 AM

I witnessed an open saw run with a flat belt  off a tractor being used to cut our firewood when I was young.  Scary, scary, scary sight.   Chainsaws generally get a lot of respect from me, as does my Gravely with the rotary plow and the 30 inch deck.  

#12 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,622 Thanks
  • 3,916 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 01:32 PM

Wood chippers give me the creeps!   I haven't had much time running one and I don't want any more.  :biting_nails:

For my dad it wasn't equipment but a minibike!  Dad was convinced the Devil himself was inside that 3 horse Briggs.  :rolling:

• JDBrian, boyscout862, HANKG and 1 other said thanks

#13 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 01:34 PM

Open saws like powerking 56 shows in his video are always given a lot of respect.

A 4 inch auger on a Milwaukee Howl Hog will stand you on your head if you aren't careful.

Balers, conveyors, augers, grinders all need a careful eye on the farm.

Chainsaws, handguns and wives ALL require specific care as well.

Man its a wonder any of us are still here to post ...

• TheFarm2004, boyscout862, superaben and 2 others have said thanks

#14 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 03:11 PM

Scariest machine???????  I would say it is the comatsu fork lift at work, it has three steps to get near the cab and can lift 30,000 lbs.  best part is it is a p-o-s and has no brakes!!!  That thing terrifies me, and I am only one of two people allowed to run it.

#15 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 04:05 PM

Can't say that I'm "afraid" of any machine I've run, just respect them!  But, I grew up on two-cylinder tractors using PTO's without the modern spinning shields (we used the cover type shields) & grinding feed every week with a JD hammer mill using an 8" x 50' flat belt.  Hardest part with the hammer mill was the few times we used the MT, hard to line the belt up with the pulley on the back of the tractor!  Dad taught us to respect all machinery & "pay attention" to it!  ~~  Lowell

• OldBuzzard, JDBrian and HANKG have said thanks