• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 littletime OFFLINE  

littletime
  • Member No: 51758
  • 13 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted April 30, 2014 - 11:47 PM

Need info on tearing down a 5 spd trans that has reverse out of it. Have a second one with final drive bad. Both have the right side hub stuck on. Have not figured out how to get them off yet. Are axles clipped in main case or just in axle housing? 

• Mike125s said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,792 Thanks
  • 44,568 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 04:28 AM

Maybe the parts manual will help you out.

• boyscout862, littletime and Mike125s have said thanks

#3 Mike125s OFFLINE  

Mike125s
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52007
  • 57 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 07:31 AM

Need info on tearing down a 5 spd trans that has reverse out of it. Have a second one with final drive bad. Both have the right side hub stuck on. Have not figured out how to get them off yet. Are axles clipped in main case or just in axle housing? 

My right side hub is stuck on too.  I guess just try Kroil and tapping til it releases.  It may take weeks,  Some heat from a propane torch may help,but be careful not to get it too hot.  I was not successful in removing the right hub after a couple of days ,so I just left it alone,  My trans is usable though.  Good luck!!

Mike

66 Chief 1000

#4 Mike125s OFFLINE  

Mike125s
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52007
  • 57 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 07:33 AM

My right side hub is stuck on too.  I guess just try Kroil and tapping til it releases.  It may take weeks,  Some heat from a propane torch may help,but be careful not to get it too hot.  I was not successful in removing the right hub after a couple of days ,so I just left it alone,  My trans is usable though.  Good luck!!

Mike

66 Chief 1000

PS hub is held on with one ,sometimes two square head bolts screwed into the hub. A key insert prevents the hub from rotating on the axle. Sorry, not sure about the axle,  please check the manual

Mike

Edited by Mike125s, May 01, 2014 - 07:36 AM.

• littletime said thank you

#5 littletime OFFLINE  

littletime
  • Member No: 51758
  • 13 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 09:42 PM

Thanks Mike. I have all set screws out and was able to get left side off, right side will move in but not out. And Thanks Kenny, the manual will definitely help. Will try to make a tripod to actually knock axle off hub this weekend. Will let you know how it works.

#6 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,536 Thanks
  • 1,830 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 05:34 PM

Thanks Mike. I have all set screws out and was able to get left side off, right side will move in but not out. And Thanks Kenny, the manual will definitely help. Will try to make a tripod to actually knock axle off hub this weekend. Will let you know how it works.

A slide hammer might do the trick? Best of luck, Stiemmy.