• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted May 17, 2014 - 11:39 PM

Looks like a mower deck puzzle. Turned out nice & a great job.

#32 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 10:25 AM

Some pictures:attachicon.gif20140513_154136.jpgattachicon.gif20140513_175727.jpg

First Picture is the deck finished with the rust treatment doing it's work, second shot shows the "angle" for the gradual slope to eject the grass.

Just used a vice and a big hammer to bend the metal, got lucky and it's not far off really.

attachicon.gif20140517_205407.jpg

The new metal painted up shiny, the older part of the deck was pitted, and stayed that way!

just need to remove the fittings and paint them thne it should be good for another 20 years or so!

attachicon.gif20140429_135218.jpg

Just had to show a re-cap on how bad it was!

Mike

Nice Job Mike.  I'm not sure I would have taken on a job like that.

#33 mike732 OFFLINE  

mike732
  • Member No: 56210
  • 43 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 03:59 PM

Hi Bill,

As a fellow ex Serviceman you know we like to do things the hard way sometimes!

The truth is I am in the UK, Bolens mowers are scarce here and the purchase of a new deck is not possible, the mower itself is pretty much bomb proof, solid well made and worthy of my time to bring it back to working order.

I restore Classic Motor Vehicles as a hobby, so the equipment and resources are readily available, add that to being retired.......well

I actually skimped on the job and could have easily restored the deck to pristine condition, but I had to check myself by admitting it is a funtional item, and any additional cosmetic work would have been pointless

Kind Regards

Mike

• HDWildBill said thank you

#34 mike732 OFFLINE  

mike732
  • Member No: 56210
  • 43 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 04:04 PM

Hi Jim,

To quote your good self:

"Old GT's are like orphans & we need to bring'em all home"

How very, very true, if we did not keep these wonderful old mowers going who else would?

Mike :thumbs:

#35 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 05:51 PM

Hi Bill,

As a fellow ex Serviceman you know we like to do things the hard way sometimes!

The truth is I am in the UK, Bolens mowers are scarce here and the purchase of a new deck is not possible, the mower itself is pretty much bomb proof, solid well made and worthy of my time to bring it back to working order.

I restore Classic Motor Vehicles as a hobby, so the equipment and resources are readily available, add that to being retired.......well

I actually skimped on the job and could have easily restored the deck to pristine condition, but I had to check myself by admitting it is a funtional item, and any additional cosmetic work would have been pointless

Kind Regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

I like to watch the show Wheeler Dealers which is based in the UK.  They often talk about how hard the winters over there are on cars and equipment so that gives me a better understanding how the deck got to be the way it did.

If you have the time and have the resources and skill then why not take on a job like that.  You did a nice job and I think it will serve you well for many years to come. :thumbs: