I am in the process of restoring a Bolens 2030 Rear Engined Rider, circa 1988.
But the deck was very badly rusted:
First thing was to secure the deck otherwise I would loose all reference points and it would be very difficult to line up the rusted center part
Four bars bolted to the inner and outer deck keep everything tight, in place and add strength to a very weak deck
Next was to de-rust, but I removed the center bearing housing as I did not want to contaminate the bearing or housing with the rust removing process
I used a commercial product which is phosphoric and hydrochloric acid, gloves, apron and goggles needed as this stuff stings bare skin
Here is the finished de-rust, I was going to build a bath to dip it but it works just as well on a bench just need to keep it wet while it works.
And here is the deck ready for hosing off with water, then ready to begin welding up
I'll post some more pictures of the welding in a day or so, I'm hoping for a good result