• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted April 30, 2014 - 11:23 AM

My GT6000 runs great most the time, but every once in a while it starts running rough, coughing badly, blowing bluish smoke.  It only happens under full power while mowing.  I've changed the gas filter and put in new plugs.  I usually dis-engage the blade, slowing the throttle or not does not change the way it's running.  It usually last for bout 5-6 seconds then starts running good again.  I'd say it only does it once every 2-3 hours (I mow a big yard), and usually when I'm on a slight side slope.  I run a tank with sea foam in it couple times a year to keep the fuel system clean.  It has little over 200 hours on it.  26 horse eng.

Any suggestions?

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,302 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted April 30, 2014 - 11:33 AM

Check the crank case vent. I think they are supposed to have a baffle in them to prevent oil from going up the vent tube, but if it gets in there, it will get sucked right back to the carb.
  • superaben and TX_Dj have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted April 30, 2014 - 11:46 AM

I have a Deere with a V-twin Kohler vertical shaft engine. It always smokes when started from long sit. Smokes a little, yet cleans up. Never runs rough tho unless you don't pull off choke right away, like the wife or others might forget. I belive the oil settles in cylinders that are laying down when parked and when started then, burns that extra off. Has pretty much always done this. Others say it shouldn't, but I really think is just a normal thing for vertical engine???  With new Lean carbs and little or no settings to make, probly doesn't take much to clog carbs now days at least for a moment?

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 30, 2014 - 03:45 PM

While you are looking it over make sure your cooling fins and flywheel cover screen etc. are clean. If you are mowing a large property grass clippings can partially block the cooling air flow causing the engine to run hot, which will eventually lead to all kinds of trouble.