• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 10:51 AM

I'll check the fuel lines and pump today, hopefully get it working well enough to test the tiller in the garden.

#17 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 03:39 PM

Well that went quite well, cleaned the fuel system,  put in a battery, points cover, air filter and cover, gas, oil, hydrolic fluid, and did some tillin;)

The homebuilt sulky is a complete joke, but it might make a good start for another GT trailer. Motor ran very well,  all the levers and handles seem to work except its missing a choke control, can anyone tell me why it seems to have two separate hi/lo range systems?? I'll add a pic of the controls sticker. And I dont see an overfill plug for the hydro fluid... am I blind or how do I know where the level should be??

Quite a nice tiller to operate compared to any other walk behind I have had, although the tines are smaller, seems to go deep enough regardless, probably still sell it because I have four five other tillers here, but, you never know, I kinda like it. Havent tried to free up the mower yet, still soaking, it does move a little now so it will come Im sure, missing some guards I think but otherwise complete.

Attached Thumbnails

• gravely9.jpg
  • gravely8.jpg
  • gravely5.jpg
  • gravely7.jpg

#18 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 646 Thanks
  • 754 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 08:06 AM

On the high/low controls, there are two the one on the handle bars changes the ratio of ground speed and PTO speed, and the rod on the dash changes the ratio in the axle.  Hydro fluid? that machine doesn't use hydro fluid, the transaxle uses motor oil, don't use gear oil either as it will "eat" the bronze gear in the differential.  The machine should have 2 dipsticks, standing at the handle bars the engine oil is easily seen on the right, the transaxle dipstick should be smaller and lower on the left, transaxle fill hole is behind the battery box mid housing.

• Alc and Lance Skene have said thanks

#19 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 12:09 PM

Thx, found the manuals for it yesterday but havent read them yet, guy I got it from told me it was hydrostatic drive... good thing I asked, this is the first one Ive seen so I didnt know any better;)

#20 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 646 Thanks
  • 754 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 04:35 PM

The transaxles are mechanical planetaries with clutches, Pto is live/independent depending on your interpretation.  Actually I find mine to be a very dependable, versatile and tough as nails.  I have many attachments for mine and use it often.   

• Alc said thank you

#21 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 06:49 PM

Im hopin to get the mower working also, looks like it would be capable of taking down small willows and such, i have a JD for those also, but more is better right;)

#22 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 646 Thanks
  • 754 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 09:50 PM

The 30" deck is good at just about anything that you can get under the deck.  With the 3/8" blade you can take out saplings with ease, just make sure the slip clutch set and working,, with a single 1/4" blade you can mow the lawn, some use two 1/4" blades for double the cutting surface. Add about 15 to 25 lbs to the front of the deck to counterbalance the heavy 10 hp Kohler to keep the deck down.

• Alc and Lance Skene have said thanks

#23 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 04:56 AM

I can see how some extra weight would help, especially in the willows along the road/ditch, my JD can cut a good sized sapling but it doesnt have near the weight this Gravely has, or the tires.

• Alc said thank you

#24 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,367 Thanks
  • 7,197 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 05:19 AM

I see the Gravelys  listed  on CL and wonder how well they work . Reading this thread from real users is much help   :thumbs:

#25 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,768 Thanks
  • 2,946 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 07:50 AM

Here is a bit of video of my son using one of mine to clear an old road on a relative's property.

This is the old Gravely "T" engine, offers about 6-7 hp and gobs of torque.  What you are seeing is actually some of the lighter stuff we were cutting, I was too busy cutting to take any pictures or video of some of the bigger stuff, pine saplings around 6 ft tall being taken out.  I've used a 10 hp Gravely and have to admit it is even more beastly than the old Gravely engine when it comes to cutting stuff up.  Make sure your attachment clutch is working and adjusted correctly when using the bushog with a Kohler engine.

• js5020 and Lance Skene have said thanks

#26 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 12:39 PM

I couldnt count the # of differant tillers Ive used in 40+ years... but this is certainly the Cadillac of any walk behind, even nicer to use than many GT tillers, its really quite effortless, if it cuts as good as it cultivates I might have JD brush cutter for sale...lol 

• Alc said thank you

#27 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 646 Thanks
  • 754 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 01:28 PM

Works nicer than any tiller you have used ehh? That's quite a recommendation Ive always seen those and the older versions called a rotary cultivator, a secondary tillage tool/weeder with the rotary plow being the primary tool, break ground with the rotary plow its Impressive to say the least!

#28 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,768 Thanks
  • 2,946 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 01:42 PM

I couldnt count the # of differant tillers Ive used in 40+ years... but this is certainly the Cadillac of any walk behind, even nicer to use than many GT tillers, its really quite effortless, if it cuts as good as it cultivates I might have JD brush cutter for sale...lol 

Lance, I'd like to see some photos or video of the tiller, especially in action.  That is the later model tiller and I think it is designed for deeper penetration than the older "rotary cultivator".

#29 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 02:59 PM

The wife finished planting already so I wont be taking the tiller in the garden again for awhile... if I want to live..lol

but one of the pics I posted earlier was takin the other day, in the garden without the goofy sulky, Ive had tillers that dig a little deeper but it digs deep enough, and it really is effortless, even turning it around I just pushed down a bit on the handle bars to lift the tines and let it go out of the garden before walkin it around, its quite well balanced.

If we do break any new ground this year there will pics, might even be able to convince the wife to run this one,  have to add a beer holder tho ;)

#30 PaulL OFFLINE  

PaulL
  • Member No: 49081
  • 114 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 12:49 AM

The Hi/Lo gear shift on the handle bar can be shifted while in motion.  The Swiftmatic Hi/Lo axle shift on the panel should be shifted only when the tractor is stopped, preferrably in neutral.  The rotary cultivator attachment is meant for smoothing out already tilled ground.  I don't know how long the chain drive on the side would last if used often to break ground that had not been previously tilled by a rotary plow, single bottom plow, etc. 

Paul L

• Alc said thank you